Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSU

I'm upset. IMO we got screwed. I finally know how this playoff thing works, so I'm not blaming the selection committee for the most part. But when you only lost is to a top 15 team and you are consistently a good team then I think you should get some respect. The ultimate blame is our schedule. What is the f***king point of playing a D1 school (that should come back to D2) when it doesn't count for anything when it comes to this time of the year? Money? Really? Too bad Pembrooke had a down year but still.. We need to start playing real teams in our OOC schedule. I think we have earned that right to get two games against elite D2 schools.

Our conference as a whole is mediocre at best, it doesn't do us any favors, so scheduling matters.

Sorry but I just had to vent.

Everything you said is correct and I feel bad for you guys.

Only other thing I would add is that it's time the CIAA figures out an alternative to the Championship week. We should either go the route of the PSAC or get a scheduling agreement in place with the SIAC for the last week. Something needs to be done to allow our teams to get 11 games, that final week shouldn't be reserved for only one game.

Comment

Personally, I'd love a 8 team format, no byes, conference winners get in, and the other spots are at large, thats a different conversation though.

You hit some points right on the head though, want to make the D2 playoffs, play in region out of conference games, ideally against the GSC or SAC. The conference championship does help the teams playing in it, but hurts everyone else. Either get rid of it our work out some crazy scheduling agreement where you play someone else if you don't make it, which would have to be with the SIAC and would probably hurt you more than help.

All that said, its VERY hard to schedule out of conference in D2, not everyone will want to spend the money to travel all the way up to VA to play ya'll. We've gone as far as NW Alabama and Pennsylvania to get big OOC games in past years (shoutout to West Alabama for coming up to our place too). I don't know what kind of financial shape VA St's program is in, but that costs big money.

Anyways, its a shame ya'll didn't get in. Hopefully they use it for fuel next year and knock off Bowie.
      Last edited by BearsLRU; 11-17-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The CIAA has always been creative in coming up with different tie breaker scenarios for the Division championship since it's never the same from year to year, so I don't know why they can't figure this out!

In addition, I have to hold our AD and football coach partly responsible for leaving us in this predicament since Tuskegee was in a similar situation a couple years ago and we agreed to play them at the last minute during championship week so that they could make the playoffs. Even though we beat them, they still made the playoffs, but now they won't play us because beating them wasn't part of the agreement and they thought it might cost them the playoff spot, but it didn't. Nevertheless, they owe us and this weekend would have been the prime time to call in that "quid pro quo!"

Comment

Originally posted by BearsLRU View Post
          Personally, I'd love a 8 team format, no byes, conference winners get in, and the other spots are at large, thats a different conversation though.
          I honestly think we'll see D2 expand to a 32 team playoff sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
            I'm upset. IMO we got screwed. I finally know how this playoff thing works, so I'm not blaming the selection committee for the most part. But when you only lost is to a top 15 team and you are consistently a good team then I think you should get some respect. The ultimate blame is our schedule. What is the f***king point of playing a D1 school (that should come back to D2) when it doesn't count for anything when it comes to this time of the year? Money? Really? Too bad Pembrooke had a down year but still.. We need to start playing real teams in our OOC schedule. I think we have earned that right to get two games against elite D2 schools.

Our conference as a whole is mediocre at best, it doesn't do us any favors, so scheduling matters.

Sorry but I just had to vent.
            I understand your frustration but IMO playing NSU had nothing to do with VSU not making the playoffs. The year we made it to the playoffs we played NSU and nobody ever mentioned a thing. The only difference is that we won the CIAA championship and went undefeated in D2. 1 D2 loss shouldn't keep you out of the playoffs but you gotta admit, Chowan wasn't expected to be that awful this year and we played the bottom of the Southern Division. Can't do anything but beat the teams that are on the schedule. I think Miles is deserving as well and as we all know, only 7 teams are selected. VSU just wasn't selected.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post
              The CIAA has always been creative in coming up with different tie breaker scenarios for the Division championship since it's never the same from year to year, so I don't know why they can't figure this out!

In addition, I have to hold our AD and football coach partly responsible for leaving us in this predicament since Tuskegee was in a similar situation a couple years ago and we agreed to play them at the last minute during championship week so that they could make the playoffs. Even though we beat them, they still made the playoffs, but now they won't play us because beating them wasn't part of the agreement and they thought it might cost them the playoff spot, but it didn't. Nevertheless, they owe us and this weekend would have been the prime time to call in that "quid pro quo!"
              I don't think the tiebreaker had anything to do with it. I do think that the conference need to schedule games the last week of the season. The opponents of the teams that make the CIAA championship should play each other for the last week with the team with the better record having the home game. I don't think Tuskegee owes us anything. If VSU wanted to play them, they could have called and see if they would come up and play but that didn't happen. I think VSU was thinking that they would remain in the playoff picture as the 7th seed. Wishful thinking but hey what do I know, I'm just a fan of the game. It's weird because we have constantly played team from the sac Tusculum, LR twice in the last 5 years I believe and UNC Pembroke this year. Could be do an allegiance with them, probably but I think it's more feasible for the SAC to play teams in the NC area. LR played VUU this year and maybe we can give CN and Wingate a call, but who's to say they will be better than UNC Pembroke next year? You just never know how the ball may bounce. Just celebrate a great 8-1 d2 record and convince your alumnus, friends and colleagues to purchase 100.00 season tickets next year. That would go a long way in help funding the football program.

Comment

You guys are making the argument that I've been saying for some time. The problem with VSU though is that nothing from within the conference could have saved you this year. Here's why:

The best teams in the CIAA South that didnt go to the championship game was Shaw (6-4; you played them), WSSU (4-6), and JC Smith (4-6). They weren't gonna help you, especially when 2 loss West Florida and Carson-Newman had much stronger schedules.

Also, The NSU game does hurt you from a playoff standpoints because you only went 8-1 and that 10th game could have gone to another D2 school. In 2017, VSU was not going to be in contention for a 1 seed because they didnt have that 11th D2 game. A CIAA school needs to go 11-0 with at least mid-tier SR2 opponents to even sniff the top seed. UNC-P was down again this year, so that wasnt gonna cut it. You would have needed one of the 6-4/6-5 GSC schools, a top SIAC school, or a mid-tier SAC (Mars Hill, Tusculum, Newberry) to get to the 1 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

I honestly think we'll see D2 expand to a 32 team playoff sooner than later.
                  I hope so, I really don't like just the one seed getting a bye. Does Valdosta really need another advantage? They already get to host every game they play probably. Obviously self serving this year but even if LR was #1, I'd still agree with this point (I'd just be less vocal about it haha).

Comment

Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post
                    You guys are making the argument that I've been saying for some time. The problem with VSU though is that nothing from within the conference could have saved you this year. Here's why:

The best teams in the CIAA South that didnt go to the championship game was Shaw (6-4; you played them), WSSU (4-6), and JC Smith (4-6). They weren't gonna help you, especially when 2 loss West Florida and Carson-Newman had much stronger schedules.

Also, The NSU game does hurt you from a playoff standpoints because you only went 8-1 and that 10th game could have gone to another D2 school. In 2017, VSU was not going to be in contention for a 1 seed because they didnt have that 11th D2 game. A CIAA school needs to go 11-0 with at least mid-tier SR2 opponents to even sniff the top seed. UNC-P was down again this year, so that wasnt gonna cut it. You would have needed one of the 6-4/6-5 GSC schools, a top SIAC school, or a mid-tier SAC (Mars Hill, Tusculum, Newberry) to get to the 1 seed.

Comment

NSU - One more year? It was a good idea but if it doesn't count for us making the playoffs, I could care less. Would you rather play two D1 schools and not make the playoffs? No! If you are going to play D1 schools you need to make the jump to D1. Sure it might bring some money but I'm assuming playoffs brings money too.

Also I don't care how you fix it up. The conference is weak. The only way we fix that is scheduling quality opponents and winning. At this point I rather play Valdosta and lose by 40 than to play a meaningless D1 game.

Good luck to Bowie!

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                        NSU - One more year? It was a good idea but if it doesn't count for us making the playoffs, I could care less. Would you rather play two D1 schools and not make the playoffs? No! If you are going to play D1 schools you need to make the jump to D1. Sure it might bring some money but I'm assuming playoffs brings money too.

Also I don't care how you fix it up. The conference is weak. The only way we fix that is scheduling quality opponents and winning. At this point I rather play Valdosta and lose by 40 than to play a meaningless D1 game.

Good luck to Bowie!
                        We played 2 d1 schools two years ago and didn't make the playoffs and I didn't have a problem with that. We also lost to Bowie and VUU so even if we would have won those d1 games, still wouldn't have made the playoffs. We played NSU the year we made the playoffs and lost to UWG so what's your point? We also played all D2 teams Barlow first year and beat LR, Tusculum and Tuskegee and still didn't make the playoffs.

Being in the CIAA is a crutch with the bottom tier teams bringing the conference down. There is now way getting around that. Now you could play Valdosta or any top tier D2 team, lose and still not make the playoffs. Every team changes from year to year and the SOS is something that changes as well. All we had to do was beat Bowie and everything would have been fine. Do I think its fair Miles jumped us? No but hey that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

BTW, you do not make money in the d2 playoffs. We hosted a first round game and barely had 1500 people there and the NCAA handles everything and not the school.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X