Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIAA Schools should Follow PSAC Format

The CIAA schools should be playing 11 games a season. They could play the 11th game the same day as the CIAA championship game. This is what the PSAC and other conferences do. What are the reasons why the CIAA should not follow?

Yes they should, and the SIAC should to. You only have 11 weeks to play football, don't take one away from the teams unnecessarily. In the PSAC it does sometimes create some last minute logistical challenges, but its worth it. The final week of the season is a cross over where east plays west and they alternate hosts. So even if a road team has to swap opponents, they were going to travel anyway, its a change in destination. They may have scramble for hotel reservation changes, but for the good of the conference, its worth it.

Another option - which would be harder to budget for better for playoff aspirations - would be to set up a bowl game or two between CIAA and SIAC teams in week 11 for the best teams that did not make the conference championship games. Virginia State could have improved their resume for the rankings if they'd had an opportunity to play Fort Valley State or Savannah State last week.

Comment

Totally agree. I think there should be an 11th game. The crossover option can work. I really like that

Comment

Yes, I agree as well. Schools get another game to profit from and players get to play one more game before its all over. CIAA and SIAC did have the Pioneer Bowl for a few years and attendance was not that great but it could have been that it was too late in the year and too close to xmas.

Comment

I agree with this completely. The CIAA needs to realize that this isn't the bball tournament and only fans of the schools in the championship game are going to the game.

If they don't follow the PSAC model, then at the minimum the top CIAA and SIAC schools that don't make their respective championship games should play in week 11. Pick a neutral site like Charlotte or ATL or let one of the teams host. In most years this would be a decent game that could at least benefit one of the teams.

VSU could have really benefited from having that extra game against FVSU or Savannah this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
            Another option - which would be harder to budget for better for playoff aspirations - would be to set up a bowl game or two between CIAA and SIAC teams in week 11 for the best teams that did not make the conference championship games. Virginia State could have improved their resume for the rankings if they'd had an opportunity to play Fort Valley State or Savannah State last week.
            That would be neat. Kind of a CIAA-SIAC Challenge.

I've thought for a few years the GSC and SAC needed to do something like that to open the season. One year all GSC teams host, SAC the next. Both 1st place teams play, 2nd, 3rd etc. Similar to the ACC Big ten challenge for basketball. Next year would look like this:

Lenoir-Rhyne vs. Valdosta
            Wingate vs. West Florida
            Carson-newman vs. Delta state
            Newberry vs. Mississippi College
            Tusculum vs. West Georgia
            Mars Hill vs. Florida tech
            Limestone vs. West Alabama
            UVA Wise vs. North Greenville
            Catawba vs. Shorter

Comment

CIAA and SIAC could do the same. Would be beneficial to those teams like VSU for sure! Take out the 4 teams playing in title games and go from there.

Comment

Yes!!! Bring the Pioneer Bowl back

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
                  Yes they should, and the SIAC should to. You only have 11 weeks to play football, don't take one away from the teams unnecessarily. In the PSAC it does sometimes create some last minute logistical challenges, but its worth it. The final week of the season is a cross over where east plays west and they alternate hosts. So even if a road team has to swap opponents, they were going to travel anyway, its a change in destination. They may have scramble for hotel reservation changes, but for the good of the conference, its worth it.

I don't even think hotel reservations would even matter too much given as though most schools use the same hotels on the road, the conference has a limit on number of players allowed to travel and depending on the distance a hotel may not even be required. In the PSAC I know Shippensburg doesn't use hotels if the trip is under 2 hours.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X