Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSSU Coaching Advice From The D2 Posters

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WSSU Coaching Advice From The D2 Posters

    For the new AD at WSSU I see three scenarios at play. One: keep the current staff in place, remove interim tag, giving Massey maybe three or four year contract. Two: Keep Massey as DC and maybe some other coaches and hire new HC. Three: Send them all on their way and hire new staff all together. Personally, I feel if Massey is hired as HC he must hire new QB coach/OC like a Jason Mai(currently at AAMU). Maybe Phillip Sims HC at John Marshall HS in Richmond. Both would do WSSU a world of good offensively and with recruiting. I do not see WSSU excelling with the current staff as it stands. Some changes has to be accomplished. Input Ram fans!!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by callen2525 View Post
    For the new AD at WSSU I see three scenarios at play. One: keep the current staff in place, remove interim tag, giving Massey maybe three or four year contract. Two: Keep Massey as DC and maybe some other coaches and hire new HC. Three: Send them all on their way and hire new staff all together. Personally, I feel if Massey is hired as HC he must hire new QB coach/OC like a Jason Mai(currently at AAMU). Maybe Phillip Sims HC at John Marshall HS in Richmond. Both would do WSSU a world of good offensively and with recruiting. I do not see WSSU excelling with the current staff as it stands. Some changes has to be accomplished. Input Ram fans!!!
    Help me understand what Phillip Sims has accomplished in just a few years removed from playing college football that qualifies him to be an NCAA Division II Offensive Coordinator and recruiter? I'm don't know that he can't do the job. But on the surface, I don't see the 3 seasons as a high school coach and working with young QB's as something to springboard him to collegiate OC. Now if you are talking QB Coach, he might be a good one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wssuram View Post

      Help me understand what Phillip Sims has accomplished in just a few years removed from playing college football that qualifies him to be an NCAA Division II Offensive Coordinator and recruiter? I'm don't know that he can't do the job. But on the surface, I don't see the 3 seasons as a high school coach and working with young QB's as something to springboard him to collegiate OC. Now if you are talking QB Coach, he might be a good one.
      I feel he has united all the Richmond high school coaches to gain exposure for their teams from the media. He has assisted in several 7-on-7 camps and tournaments. He has and still is a voice for high school football in Richmond. He is also young enough to relate to today's players. The difference in the current QB coach at WSSU and Sims is Sims was a starter for UVA and a WSSU. Lastly, as a recruiter I feel with his connections with Nick Saban and Jason Mai(AAMU) plus him being his own OC I think he would be a fit. He has connections in the Virginia, Maryland, and DC area as well. We are not being competitive with our play calling or QB play. He is that new blood I have been talking about.

      Comment


      • #4
        Today the Carolina Panthers fired their HC and this is part of the article written on this event that I found could apply to WSSU to which I compare both team as similar.

        "We are going to take a comprehensive and thorough review of our football operation to make sure we are structured for long-term sustained success," Tepper said. "Our vision is to find the right mix of old-school discipline and toughness with modern and innovative processes. We will consider a wide range of football executives to complement our current football staff.


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wssuram View Post

          Help me understand what Phillip Sims has accomplished in just a few years removed from playing college football that qualifies him to be an NCAA Division II Offensive Coordinator and recruiter? I'm don't know that he can't do the job. But on the surface, I don't see the 3 seasons as a high school coach and working with young QB's as something to springboard him to collegiate OC. Now if you are talking QB Coach, he might be a good one.
          Not sure if you notice this, but other CIAA schools bring in recent former players to be position coaches all the time. Former WSSU players from (2008+) who have are position coaches include the current LB coach, Barry Tripp (the DC at FSU), and Markus Lawrence (2012), who is a position coach at AAMU. Bowie State is really good at this - their OC is a former BSU QB from the early part of this decade, and the QB coach just played in 2015-2016. Another former Bowie QB (Lamar Manigo) is the OC at Shaw. Kam Smith didn't do half bad at Saint Aug for his one season as OC, and SAU used another recent former player to be DC last year. Chowan's leading receiver from last year, Torry Baker, is a coach at Chowan now.

          All I'm saying is that you have to make moves like what was proposed at the D2 level. You're not always going to get a seasoned person. D2 requires you to take risks, as it is a stepping stone, and you want innovators to step into those roles. A seasoned person may not want a D2 Coordinator's salary of 50-80k. A seasoned person may be aiming for a HC spot somewhere that pays 90k+.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post

            Not sure if you notice this, but other CIAA schools bring in recent former players to be position coaches all the time. Former WSSU players from (2008+) who have are position coaches include the current LB coach, Barry Tripp (the DC at FSU), and Markus Lawrence (2012), who is a position coach at AAMU. Bowie State is really good at this - their OC is a former BSU QB from the early part of this decade, and the QB coach just played in 2015-2016. Another former Bowie QB (Lamar Manigo) is the OC at Shaw. Kam Smith didn't do half bad at Saint Aug for his one season as OC, and SAU used another recent former player to be DC last year. Chowan's leading receiver from last year, Torry Baker, is a coach at Chowan now.

            All I'm saying is that you have to make moves like what was proposed at the D2 level. You're not always going to get a seasoned person. D2 requires you to take risks, as it is a stepping stone, and you want innovators to step into those roles. A seasoned person may not want a D2 Coordinator's salary of 50-80k. A seasoned person may be aiming for a HC spot somewhere that pays 90k+.
            How many of those people jumped from zero college coaching experience straight to OC or DC?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gr8ness97 View Post

              Not sure if you notice this, but other CIAA schools bring in recent former players to be position coaches all the time. Former WSSU players from (2008+) who have are position coaches include the current LB coach, Barry Tripp (the DC at FSU), and Markus Lawrence (2012), who is a position coach at AAMU. Bowie State is really good at this - their OC is a former BSU QB from the early part of this decade, and the QB coach just played in 2015-2016. Another former Bowie QB (Lamar Manigo) is the OC at Shaw. Kam Smith didn't do half bad at Saint Aug for his one season as OC, and SAU used another recent former player to be DC last year. Chowan's leading receiver from last year, Torry Baker, is a coach at Chowan now.

              All I'm saying is that you have to make moves like what was proposed at the D2 level. You're not always going to get a seasoned person. D2 requires you to take risks, as it is a stepping stone, and you want innovators to step into those roles. A seasoned person may not want a D2 Coordinator's salary of 50-80k. A seasoned person may be aiming for a HC spot somewhere that pays 90k+.
              My question was about Sims being an OC and recruiter not a position coach. 2 years as a high school coach and no college experience is what I am questioning. Kam Smith had exposure coaching on the collegiate level prior to getting the St. Aug's OC job. I think Sims could do a good job as a QB coach, but there is nothing that I see to convince me he is ready to be an OC at a program with high expectations.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wssuram View Post

                My question was about Sims being an OC and recruiter not a position coach. 2 years as a high school coach and no college experience is what I am questioning. Kam Smith had exposure coaching on the collegiate level prior to getting the St. Aug's OC job. I think Sims could do a good job as a QB coach, but there is nothing that I see to convince me he is ready to be an OC at a program with high expectations.
                I understand your concern and it is well justified. If anyone has noticed some of my posts I have often advocated for new coaching blood. Also I am some what frustrated with "recycled HBCU coaching" that can not get us over the top. I just mentioned Simms for mainly two reasons. Whether he is OC or position coach(QB) I feel he would be an important asset for WSSU. Because he coach in Richmond he has/had access to DC, Maryland, Virginia area that is a hot bed for high school talent. Then there is his connections not only with Nick Saban and his staff but also with Arizona Cardinals as well as other professional contacts. Trust me I agree with you in that we need to hire a coach for the future and not for a paycheck. I feel WSSU can make it back to the national championship game but coaching is the key as well as recruiting. Either way time is of the importance because we are currently in a dead zone with the AD not starting until Jan 2020 and a decision on HC there after puts us behind. I AM PASTED READY FOR WSSU TO BE BACK AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE AND A FORCE IN THE REGION. Go Rams!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don’t know about Simms but I doubt you get Jason Mai out of Alabama. My sources tell me he was approached about the HC position at SAU and turned it down flat. Of course SAU isn’t WSSU but I didn’t see him leaving D-1 for anything less than HC, but even that apparently wasn’t enough.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by callen2525 View Post

                    I understand your concern and it is well justified. If anyone has noticed some of my posts I have often advocated for new coaching blood. Also I am some what frustrated with "recycled HBCU coaching" that can not get us over the top. I just mentioned Simms for mainly two reasons. Whether he is OC or position coach(QB) I feel he would be an important asset for WSSU. Because he coach in Richmond he has/had access to DC, Maryland, Virginia area that is a hot bed for high school talent. Then there is his connections not only with Nick Saban and his staff but also with Arizona Cardinals as well as other professional contacts. Trust me I agree with you in that we need to hire a coach for the future and not for a paycheck. I feel WSSU can make it back to the national championship game but coaching is the key as well as recruiting. Either way time is of the importance because we are currently in a dead zone with the AD not starting until Jan 2020 and a decision on HC there after puts us behind. I AM PASTED READY FOR WSSU TO BE BACK AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE AND A FORCE IN THE REGION. Go Rams!!!
                    I agree with you 100% about recycled coaches who don't have a history of winning. I do hope WSSU alum Terrence Graves gets the nod.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FalconDad2015 View Post
                      I don’t know about Simms but I doubt you get Jason Mai out of Alabama. My sources tell me he was approached about the HC position at SAU and turned it down flat. Of course SAU isn’t WSSU but I didn’t see him leaving D-1 for anything less than HC, but even that apparently wasn’t enough.
                      I think I have seen Jason Mai drop hints on Twitter that he is interested in the WSSU head coach position.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wssuram View Post

                        I think I have seen Jason Mai drop hints on Twitter that he is interested in the WSSU head coach position.
                        I happen to know that Jason Mai would be a great fit for WSSU. He is an outstanding recruiter. He is young enough to relate to to players yet still display that needed discipline. And it also helps that he has a house here in WS. Personally, I feel WSSU owe him from his wrongful termination from before. Lastly, with Jason you would get a HC that is also an OC and QB developer. He gets my vote. And he brings new blood with an old skool flavor.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FalconDad2015 View Post
                          I don’t know about Simms but I doubt you get Jason Mai out of Alabama. My sources tell me he was approached about the HC position at SAU and turned it down flat. Of course SAU isn’t WSSU but I didn’t see him leaving D-1 for anything less than HC, but even that apparently wasn’t enough.
                          SAU is a train wreck lol

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We are but hoping to get better. Due respect WSSU has fallen off recently too. I think WSSU is a better job for a young head coach, but with all of the success Mai is having in Alabama I think it would take more than just a job to get him. If he was just interested in being a head coach he would have taken the SAU job.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The real elephant in the room with regard to WSSU Football and Athletics overall is money. Whether many know this or not WSSU is still paying Boulware. Arrangements were made to resolve his dismissal coupled with the resignation of the former AD. The question of who will become the next head football coach at WSSU is a very valid discussion. In my opinion, it is the financial component at play when the new AD starts on Jan. 1 that will be the overriding factor in who is ultimately chosen/hired. A "seasoned" head coach will demand premium pay, a young unproven head coach can be low-balled until he proves himself through wins and losses. Just my 2 cents...

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X