Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Florida A&M possibly leaving MEAC for SWAC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESU Warrior
    replied
    Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post
    I think that Delaware State, Coppin State and Maryland Eastern Shore are all candidates for D2 and would probably seek membership in the CIAA since all 3 are in the conferences footprint. None of you mentioned Morgan State and, to be honest, I don't know what they would do since their athletic programs, although successful, have been mediocre the past few years. Howard is headed to the Big South via invitation and recommendation of Hampton so that they can keep "The Real HU" rivalry intact. I think the same will happen with NCCU via recommendation from A&T to renew the Aggie-Eagle Classic. I actually think Norfolk State will return to the CIAA if the MEAC becomes defunct since I don't think finances would permit them to jump to the Big South and their natural rivalries are in the CIAA. Same is true of SC State, which I think will move to the SIAC, for financial reasons as well as rivalry schools in their footprint. Bethune Cookman should definitely move to the SWAC. It just makes sense now that FAMU is moving.
    What about Delaware State to the NE-10, or is that to far off? They could use another member.

Leave a comment:

• VSUTrojans
    replied
    I think that Delaware State, Coppin State and Maryland Eastern Shore are all candidates for D2 and would probably seek membership in the CIAA since all 3 are in the conferences footprint. None of you mentioned Morgan State and, to be honest, I don't know what they would do since their athletic programs, although successful, have been mediocre the past few years. Howard is headed to the Big South via invitation and recommendation of Hampton so that they can keep "The Real HU" rivalry intact. I think the same will happen with NCCU via recommendation from A&T to renew the Aggie-Eagle Classic. I actually think Norfolk State will return to the CIAA if the MEAC becomes defunct since I don't think finances would permit them to jump to the Big South and their natural rivalries are in the CIAA. Same is true of SC State, which I think will move to the SIAC, for financial reasons as well as rivalry schools in their footprint. Bethune Cookman should definitely move to the SWAC. It just makes sense now that FAMU is moving.

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
    I could see Delaware State dropping down to D2 and the CIAA as both Bowie and Lincoln are less than a 2 hour bus drive. Norfolk probably would opt to stay at the FCS level and look to CAA or Big South or Southern Conference for a home. The Big South would allow them to renew their battle of the bay rivalry with Hampton yearly within conference play.
    Honestly the only remaining MEAC schools I could see being actively pursued by other (D1) conferences are Bethune-Cookman & NC Central. I think the Big South would most likely pick up NC Central to add the Aggie-Eagle classic to their conference. Meanwhile I think Norfolk and SC State's fairly recent issues would scare off the Big South from an invitation. Although Bethune-Cookman had recent issues of their own, I think the SWAC would absolutely jump at the chance to bring them in along side with FAMU to have the Florida Classic under the SWAC banner.

I agree that Delaware appears to be most likely to drop to D2. Even ahead of the non football members Coppin and Eastern Shore

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    replied
    Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I believe instability with a few universities has scared others into looking out for themselves. Also I believe with NC A&T success in football the last 5 years or so they've ran their course with the celebration bowl and want to play for the FCS title. South Carolina State has had financial issues as well as Bethune Cookman, so if they left the conference it would be down to Norfolk State, Delaware State, NCCU, Morgan and Howard.
    plus Coppin State & Maryland Eastern Shore

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
    I am not as familiar with what is going on in the MEAC, why has there been such an eagerness to leave the conference lately?
    I believe instability with a few universities has scared others into looking out for themselves. Also I believe with NC A&T success in football the last 5 years or so they've ran their course with the celebration bowl and want to play for the FCS title. South Carolina State has had financial issues as well as Bethune Cookman, so if they left the conference it would be down to Norfolk State, Delaware State, NCCU, Morgan and Howard.

Leave a comment:

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    I could see Delaware State dropping down to D2 and the CIAA as both Bowie and Lincoln are less than a 2 hour bus drive. Norfolk probably would opt to stay at the FCS level and look to CAA or Big South or Southern Conference for a home. The Big South would allow them to renew their battle of the bay rivalry with Hampton yearly within conference play.

Leave a comment:

• SkegeeGrad151
    replied
    I am not as familiar with what is going on in the MEAC, why has there been such an eagerness to leave the conference lately?

Leave a comment:

• 4_tattoos
    started a topic OT: Florida A&M possibly leaving MEAC for SWAC?

OT: Florida A&M possibly leaving MEAC for SWAC?

Once again the CIAA's D1 counterpart the MEAC appears to be falling apart. Would have to think the rest of the MEAC members may be planning their escape as well.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/01/famu-plans-to-leave-meac-for-swac/?fbclid=IwAR0_Ur8ahpJz8IuSQhu4uOKTGus4JtOyi2gEFQPC uggQhiLVDurCecMZSyI

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X