Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Norfolk State University considering return to Division II?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: Norfolk State University considering return to Division II?

    First time a current MEAC member has openly discussed a possible return to D2 since schools began abandoning the conference a few years ago.

    https://www.nsu.edu/getattachment/Ab...spx?lang=en-US

    (skip to middle of page 13)

    In response to Ms. Blunt regarding if the MEAC crashed today, what would be the options for NSU? Bishop Brown stated the options that are available include:
    • Back up to a lower level conference membership.
    • Realigning with conference memberships on the same level that we are already on.
    • Soliciting schools that will quickly align with us in the MEAC.

  • #2
    I think that more schools should be fiscally responsible and join D2 or even D3, rather than have teams that have no business either moving up or staying.

    Comment


    • #3
      So any thoughts on this?

      Before we could only speculate about any MEAC schools choosing to go D2 if the conference fell apart. NSU made the possibility of going back to D2 it's first bullet point. They put that out there.

      Comment


      • #4
        They need to come on back. They've had funding issues for years, especially after the state of VA capped how much public schools could charge for student fees. I think they moved up in the 90's because of their size, which I'm fairly certain was over 10k. However, they lost student population over the years as ODU continued to grow.

        MEAC is imploding so it only seems like Norfolk States options are to try and join the Big South or come back to the CIAA. I mean they have more rivals in the CIAA with VSU, ECSU, and VUU, and the VSU game seems to draw better than we they play Hampton.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
          They need to come on back. They've had funding issues for years, especially after the state of VA capped how much public schools could charge for student fees. I think they moved up in the 90's because of their size, which I'm fairly certain was over 10k. However, they lost student population over the years as ODU continued to grow.

          MEAC is imploding so it only seems like Norfolk States options are to try and join the Big South or come back to the CIAA. I mean they have more rivals in the CIAA with VSU, ECSU, and VUU, and the VSU game seems to draw better than we they play Hampton.
          You make a very convincing point.
          Go Battlers!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
            They need to come on back. They've had funding issues for years, especially after the state of VA capped how much public schools could charge for student fees. I think they moved up in the 90's because of their size, which I'm fairly certain was over 10k. However, they lost student population over the years as ODU continued to grow.

            MEAC is imploding so it only seems like Norfolk States options are to try and join the Big South or come back to the CIAA. I mean they have more rivals in the CIAA with VSU, ECSU, and VUU, and the VSU game seems to draw better than we they play Hampton.
            Besides Howard and NC Central I personally don't think any of the remaining MEAC schools would be wanted by other D1 conferences. Nor would anybody want to join the MEAC now.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think one deciding factor with them not dropping down would be losing the cross city game with ODU in football and collecting that check. On the flip side their games with VSU, VUU, ECSU should keep the gate number for home games around 7000-10000 to draw up revenue while also not having to dole out 60 scholarships every year. Instead they can split 36 up amongst 60-65 players

              Comment


              • #8
                This year has been quite interesting. In basketball, it appears that teams don't care what division level you are on, teams just want to play. That being said this could have been a year CIAA teams to make some money. I would love to see VUU and VSU move up especially for basketball. You can't tell me if Queens is competing and winning games in major D1 tournaments that VUU or VSU could not have won some games and made some money. I'm watching a game now where Piedmont college (D3) is beating a Western Carolina (D1) team. Money shouldn't factor in your decision of staying D1, competing at that level should.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                  Money shouldn't factor in your decision of staying D1, competing at that level should.
                  Let's be honest. The schools in the low tier D1 conferences that routinely put only one team in the NCAA basketball tournaments stay in D1 for the prestige of being a D1 school. Savannah State was never able to financially handle or compete in D1 and they faked the funk for nearly 20 years just so they could say they were in D1. It's an ego thing. All about how the schools are perceived outsiders.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

                    Let's be honest. The schools in the low tier D1 conferences that routinely put only one team in the NCAA basketball tournaments stay in D1 for the prestige of being a D1 school. Savannah State was never able to financially handle or compete in D1 and they faked the funk for nearly 20 years just so they could say they were in D1. It's an ego thing. All about how the schools are perceived outsiders.
                    A number of schools have a major emphasis sport and then the others. With some limited exceptions, the NCAA requires a school to compete at a certain level across all its teams. Take a school like Georgetown...Kick [email protected]@ national D1 basketball program but their football team is little more than an afterthought playing in a "stadium" that has a seating capacity of 2500 on temporary bleachers!! ONLY reason their football team is D1 is because their basketball team is D1.

                    Comment

                    Ad3

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X