Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fayetteville State University / NC Promise Program

Fayetteville State University joins D2 ECSU and UNC Pembroke as a part of the very successful NC Promise Program. Congratulations Broncos!!

I guess this is the end game the BOG wanted when they pulled that mess to get Allison as the Chancellor.

Comment

I actually thought about using my mother-in-law's address in NC and sending all my kids to NC colleges that have the promise program. LOL!

Comment

Per today's Fayetteville Observer:

"Fayetteville State University is poised to become a winner in a new state budget that is likely to pass.

FSU would receive almost $152 million for new capital construction projects, repairs and renovations, according to a university news release on Tuesday.

Additionally, the school will take part in N.C. Promise, a program that lowers the cost of tuition for students to $500 a semester at certain schools in the UNC System. In 2016, the school declined to take part in the program. This year, FSU will be the only school added.

With the recurring commitment to fund N.C. Promise, FSU officials said the school would receive a total of $164 million.

Comment

Read this article when it appeared and it does not change my mind about the NC Promise program one bit. It looks new and shiny and makes a lot of financial promises but at what cost? For me, what does it gain the University if it losses its soul? I know that may not translate for some, but for those of us who have been in the HBCU trenches fighting the funding disparities, the lure of an infusion of cash and new infrastructure is a trap. The more the "State" invests, the more they will control. The adage, "if you accept Ceasars money you have to play by Ceasars rules absolutely applies here! A name change, possibly? A change in admittance policy, the State of NC does not have a proven record of following through on their promises, especially to HBCUs! So to call the program, NC Promise, is very suspect. Again, time will tell, the legislature hasn't started their budget and rules shenanigans but I'd bet you almost anything it's coming. This is a strategic plan, so the true intentions are forecasted 5, 10, 20 years out. Good luck FSU or UNCF...

Comment

The original activist and naysayers of the NC Promise Program are all now quite and nowhere to be found, but remnants of the Kool-aid remains. I have several relatives and friends that are Alumni of FSU, and they are in no way opposed to this great new chapter for the University. Both ECSU, UNC-Pembroke, and Western Carolina are all prospering and rapidly growing because of this proven program.

Comment

You can't beat $500 a semester. I knew the program would help. I was just wondering who was going to pay for it. Teachers and staff still have to get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                The original activist and naysayers of the NC Promise Program are all now quite and nowhere to be found, but remnants of the Kool-aid remains. I have several relatives and friends that are Alumni of FSU, and they are in no way opposed to this great new chapter for the University. Both ECSU, UNC-Pembroke, and Western Carolina are all prospering and rapidly growing because of this proven program.
                So are your relatives and friends who are alum of FSU happy about the underhand BS that went into getting Allison named as Chancellor? Allison is the boards guy so it's no question they were going to give him a nice chunk of change in exchange for jumping on board with the promise plan.

My question to you, which I have been asking over the years, is if this plan is so amazing why doesn't NC State or UNC have it in place?

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                  You can't beat $500 a semester. I knew the program would help. I was just wondering who was going to pay for it. Teachers and staff still have to get paid.
                  It's a little gimmicky for in-state residents. The better deal is for out of state residents. At the end of the day it's only tuition, the fees are still there.

So for example this year WSSU's per semester in state tuition is $1,700.50 versus $500.00 at the promise schools. While I agree having the potential to save any amount of money is good, it's not this life changing amount that some would make you believe.

As it relates to paying it, these promise schools are always at the mercy of the general assembly passing a budget that accounts for the makeup payments. So if there is ever a holdup with the budget, or the general assembly gets tired of the experiment, then the schools are going to be hurting.

Comment

If you take a look, this program is now (based on it's success) supported by the majority on both sides of the isle of the NC General Assembly. None of the BS being spouted by the uninformed naysayers of NC Promise ever came to fruition, now FSU has joined the other 3 schools on the fast track for long term success, stability, extensive growth, along with a major infusion of new funding for new infrastructure, updates, and modernization.

It's clear that FSU now has a Chancellor which has a clear vision and focus on the university's future, not himself and his position.

I have no doubt that 5 years from now WSSU will be looking around and saying, what the %&@# were we thinking (or taking advice from) when we shied away from being included in such an overwhelmingly successful program. But I don't believe it's to late, talk to your administration and encourage them know to lobby the NC General Assembly to be included as a part of the NC Promise program in the future. It would benefit so many potential qualified students in the Triad region of NC.

On a side note, the schools which are a part of the NC Promise Program have seen major increases in overall SAT / test score averages from applicants for potential enrollment. Yet another way the program is enriching the participating schools.

Comment

Here's a perfect example of what's happening with the NC Promise Program:

Reported September 15, 2021
                      /
                      NewsUNCP enrollment stands at a record 8,319 for Fall 2021
                      Enrollment has hit an all-time high as more students choose UNC Pembroke as their college of choice. The upward trend comes as the Office of Admissions overcame challenges with limited campus visitors and travel restrictions due to the pandemic.

UNCP is experiencing record enrollment for the fourth year in a row, according to university census data. Enrollment for Fall 2021 stands at 8,319, a 0.7% increase compared with Fall 2020. Over the last five years, UNCP has seen a 32% spike in overall enrollment.

Comment

Eagle point blank I have the same questions for you:
                        1. Since you, your family, and friends seem to love FSU, what is your opinion on the "process" around how Allison became FSU Chancellor?
                        2. If this program is such a great thing then why is there no discussion about UNC or NC State getting into it? Further, outside of WSSU what other UNC system school should join? I mean if the triad kids need it so bad then why aren't you pushing for UNCG to jump on board?
                        3. Are you a liberal? If not, then why are you so happy with making schools even more dependent up on the state?

Comment

Simply put, Darrell Allison became FSU's Chancellor after James Andersen quit. Since Allison has taken the reins, FSU has been prospering in multiple ways..

The NC Promise Program was initially designed to help and lend a helping hand to some of the struggling underfinanced UNC System schools, primarily in rural areas of NC (and was offered to WSSU). UNC, NC State, UNCG, ECU, App State, UNC-Charlotte, etc did not, and do not, fall into those categories.

I take gratitude in seeing successful programs help schools prosper and flourish, and the NC Promise Program has been a positive gamechanger for the schools who embraced the opportunities it offers..
                          Think about it, in the near future, at it's present protectory of growth UNC Pembroke's enrollment will double WSSU's as will it's overall funding. ECSU is also seeing excellent growth with additional $$$ funding.

Comment

NC Promise has something in it that I like - potentially reducing student loan debt. Thats a big win, especially for Minority students.

The problem I have with NC Promise is what happens when the economy tanks. We are more debt laden than ever at the federal level, and federal debt bailed states out during the pandemic. So, programs like NC Promise is great when the economy is good and not so much when the economy tanks. PLUS - what happens when politics get in the way? I feel like the legislature could have more control over the school than ever before when you're dependent on them to make good on their "promise" to make up a much larger difference in tuition.

Comment

I'm sure there were lot of people who thought that the Pell Grant Program would not last, but yet it has fully survived multiple administrations and a rollercoaster of economic conditions 'since 1972'.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X