Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: NC A&T off to the CAA

North Carolina A&T is joining the Colonial Athletic Association starting next season, with NC A&T football moving to the CAA in 2023:

https://caasports.com/news/2022/2/22...onference.aspx

Honest question: Could anyone have predicted five years ago that NC A&T (or, for that matter, Hampton) would ever become part of a non-HBCU FCS league, much less the CAA?
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

I know a lot of folks are crapping on them and Hampton for leaving HBCU leagues and the mindset I see from folks is if the MEAC and SWAC are top-tier FCS leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      North Carolina A&T is joining the Colonial Athletic Association starting next season, with NC A&T football moving to the CAA in 2023:

https://caasports.com/news/2022/2/22...onference.aspx

Honest question: Could anyone have predicted five years ago that NC A&T (or, for that matter, Hampton) would ever become part of a non-HBCU FCS league, much less the CAA?
      The CAA marriage with A&T and Hampton has suprised me, but the two schools leaving the MEAC isn't as much of a shock. A&T and Hampton were two of the schools that voted against the MEAC giving up their autobid for the Celebration Bowl. Also, since day 1 of Hampton leaving the CIAA to go to D1 they have made it known they wanted to be in the CAA (they got shot down multiple times). I knew that Hampton was using the Big South as a stepping stone to hopefully get to the CAA one day, but I figured A&T's end game was trying to go to the Socon or going FBS in another decade or so.

JMU's depature started the domino effect and the CAA had to do something to keep the Southern members of the conference happy before they bolted. There was that idea floating out there that Elon, W&M, and Richmond football would go join the Socon. I also still wouldn't be surprised if Campbell gets invited to join the CAA.

At the end of the day the CAA does what it has to do to survive, remember when they added GA State with no member school remotely close to Atlanta?

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
        I know a lot of folks are crapping on them and Hampton for leaving HBCU leagues and the mindset I see from folks is if the MEAC and SWAC are top-tier FCS leagues.
        For A&T to put their sports program forward with hopes of eventually being an FBS program this had to happen. They value NCAA championships more than a bowl game in Atlanta at the FCS level and can offer the best of both worlds to recruits. The HBCU experience while also playing in a top 3 FCS conference (CAA). There has to be increased travel costs joining the CAA as both teams will have to fly when they play up north at New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and Albany.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

For A&T to put their sports program forward with hopes of eventually being an FBS program this had to happen. They value NCAA championships more than a bowl game in Atlanta at the FCS level and can offer the best of both worlds to recruits. The HBCU experience while also playing in a top 3 FCS conference (CAA). There has to be increased travel costs joining the CAA as both teams will have to fly when they play up north at New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and Albany.
          Since CAA football will be at 14 members by the time A&T brings their program on board in 2023, I wouldn't be shocked if the CAA went to a two-division (likely North/South) for football:

NORTH: Albany, Maine, Monmouth, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Stony Brook, Villanova
          SOUTH: Delaware, Elon, Hampton, NC A&T (2023), Richmond, Towson, William & Mary

Not being an FCS expert, but I realize it might not be an ideal split, especially in Radnor and Newark, because of the split of that Delaware/Villanova rivalry in football. Other than that, at least it's a starting off point from a scheduling perspective and, worst case, the Southern CAA football teams won't have to make as many trips to Orono or Durham.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
            The HBCU experience while also playing in a top 3 FCS conference (CAA).
            Absolutely. Compared to getting the experience and playing in 2 of the 4 worst leagues in FCS. SWAC and MEAC stink. It's not hate, but I just don't understand how folks seriously believe those two leagues are good.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Absolutely. Compared to getting the experience and playing in 2 of the 4 worst leagues in FCS. SWAC and MEAC stink. It's not hate, but I just don't understand how folks seriously believe those two leagues are good.
              I don't think as many MEAC fans are confused about their conferences place in the realm of FCS. Certain teams like SC State have at least been competitive with and beat their instate counterparts (e.g. Furman and Wofford), but as whole the people realize the conference isn't strong. A&T fans got a reality check when they got beat up by Richmond in the playoffs a few years back, and their first season in the Big South served as an additional reality check.

I think the SWAC is where the more delusional fans exist. Since they schedule a very small amount of FCS OOC games, that aren't against the MEAC or Tennessee State, they really don't pay attention to the FCS. They see the large amount of fans and attention paid to all of their classics and believe that means they have strong programs. You would think them going 1-5 in the Celebration Bowl should help them understand where they stand; however, they still swear they are a better conference than the MEAC.

As long as the SWAC continues with their current scheduling practices and continues to draw large crowds you won't be able to convince their fans that the SWAC isn't a top football conference.

Comment

It's NOT a surprise to me for either Hampton or A&T to jump to the CAA or even any other non HBCU conference. They are both looking for validation and visibility and a Black conference can not fulfill those needs. I wish them both much luck and I hope they find what they are looking for.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X