Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully Funded Teams?

Out of curiosity are all CIAA football programs fully funded?
    Last edited by Futholic; 04-03-2022, 03:34 AM.

I don't think any CIAA football programs are fully funded. At one point I think Shaw was very close, but I have no idea how many scholarships they currently offer.

According to an article from last season WSSU has around 25 scholarships.

From what I have heard I think Bowie is under 20 scholarships. Crazy to imagine what they could do if they were fully funded.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
      Crazy to imagine what they could do if they were fully funded.
      Says almost every D2 Football fan whose team isn't fully funded...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Says almost every D2 Football fan whose team isn't fully funded...
        Yeah, but Bowie making the Regional championship with about half of the scholarship max does call for a valid observation.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Yeah, but Bowie making the Regional championship with about half of the scholarship max does call for a valid observation.
          That happens almost every year in the PSAC...

Comment

That happens almost every year in the PSAC...

Comment

Haven't seen a breakdown in the past few seasons. I wouldn't know where to get that answer at the current time. it's assumed that the private schools (Mercyhurst, Gannon and Seton Hill) are fully-funded.

Comment

Haven't seen a breakdown in the past few seasons. I wouldn't know where to get that answer at the current time. it's assumed that the private schools (Mercyhurst, Gannon and Seton Hill) are fully-funded.

Comment

As I said, I haven't seen a breakdown. IUP fans what can you tell us?!

Comment

As I said, I haven't seen a breakdown. IUP fans what can you tell us?!
                    IUP Football isn't even close to fully funded. Average year they roll with about 22-24 equivalencies.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP Football isn't even close to fully funded. Average year they roll with about 22-24 equivalencies.
                      Is Nation still writing checks? Maybe not enough?!

Comment

Great topic! I was just having a conversation with a couple of people regarding this same subject. The one question, for me, that remains unanswered is what constitutes a full scholarship? Is there a specific dollar amount? I understand that D2 programs are allowed to have up to 36 "scholarships," but I have yet to get a definitive answer of what that actually is? What's the formula?

Comment

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
                          Great topic! I was just having a conversation with a couple of people regarding this same subject. The one question, for me, that remains unanswered is what constitutes a full scholarship? Is there a specific dollar amount? I understand that D2 programs are allowed to have up to 36 "scholarships," but I have yet to get a definitive answer of what that actually is? What's the formula?
                          From a web search:
                          The NCAA defines a full scholarship as covering the costs of tuition, fees, room, board and course-related books, but only a very small number of college athletes receive all of that. Full rides are guaranteed in only six Division I sports.
                          For D2, the model is partial scholarships - so most players do not get full rides. (For football the total equivalence allowable is the equivalence of 36 full scholarships - this compares with much higher numbers in D1 (different numbers for Bowl vs. championship subdivisions)).

Comment

RedFromMI, thank you for the input! That explanation makes total sense. I've always understood that athletes at the D2 level got what we called "grant-in-aid" back in the day. Back when I played in the late 80s, student-athletes "had" to apply for federal financial aid each year, and any money that was not awarded by either Pell Grants or other financial awards, the athletic department picked up the tab. To the student-athlete, there were no out-of-pocket costs so it was a "full-ride" or "scholarship" in our eyes. Given that each school's tuition & fees, room & board, books, etc., can vary, the "costs" of a full scholarship varies... I get it now! Great discussion...

Comment

Originally posted by WSSU1996 View Post
                              RedFromMI, thank you for the input! That explanation makes total sense. I've always understood that athletes at the D2 level got what we called "grant-in-aid" back in the day. Back when I played in the late 80s, student-athletes "had" to apply for federal financial aid each year, and any money that was not awarded by either Pell Grants or other financial awards, the athletic department picked up the tab. To the student-athlete, there were no out-of-pocket costs so it was a "full-ride" or "scholarship" in our eyes. Given that each school's tuition & fees, room & board, books, etc., can vary, the "costs" of a full scholarship varies... I get it now! Great discussion...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X