Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will VSU attempt the transition?

The HBCU Gameday article outlines the realities of transitioning to D1. It is a real good read...

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/05/10/c...7myEmcSKeLoKgY

It's a very good read and eye opening. If anybody questions why VA State should stay D2 then they just need to read this.

Comment

Great article and the answer to the question is NO! Definitely gives new meaning to the phrase CIAA for life!

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
        It's a very good read and eye-opening. If anybody questions why VA State should stay D2 then they just need to read this.
        Absolutely, LegalRam/VSU Trojan! As the saying goes, follow the money! The nuances that have to be navigated mean you have to have a solid transition plan, and a lot of political cooperation from state and local entities, especially when you are a state-supported school. The Norfolk State comparisons really made it eye-opening, in my opinion! A million-seven just to reclassify... sheesh! That means it costs that much just to "begin" the process, let alone any additional exit fees that might be imposed by the conference! Wow

I remember when Hampton University petitioned to leave the MEAC a few years ago, and how messy and contentious that relationship got. The conference Presidents increased the exit fee for member schools substantially as a deterrent. Didn't work, because A&T, Bethune Cookman, and FAMU all still left! Different circumstances, but I say that to highlight all the potential "costs" associated with a divisional or conference realignment. At Winston, I think we certainly learned an embarrassing yet valuable lesson during our failed attempt to transition to D1! In the immortal words of the OJays... Money, Money, Monnnnnney!
        Last edited by WSSU1996; 05-12-2022, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Yes, the cost of stepping up can be steep which drives away many marginal schools. But once through the initial costs/fees/probation period, D1's become eligible for quite a few NCAA D1 Revenue Distribution pools of $'s. In 2020, the D1 Revenue Distribution plan distributed just short of $600 MILLION to D1 member schools and conferences. For comparison, 2020 NCAA DII Revenue Distribution was a little over $7 MILLION to member schools and conferences.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X