Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New D2 Bowl Game

https://www.floridabeachbowl.com/thegame

It looks like somebody has created a new Bowl Game for this season. The Florida Beach Bowl will take place on December 13th (a Wednesday) between "two well deserved institutions and NCAA Division II football programs." To be eligible a team must have earned 6 wins during the regular season and be in good academic standing with their prospective conference. The game will be played at DRV PNK Stadium (home of the Miami MLS team). Couple of things:
    • The site doesn't officially say it's an HBCU only game, but all the marketing tends to make it seem that way.
    • No conference tie in, so I guess technically they could invite Lincoln (MO) or WVSU.
    • They have pictures of FCS teams on the webpage (Hampton, NCCU, Jackson State).
    • This game will take place a month after the end of the regular season.
      • That's even longer if one of the invited schools is a CIAA or SIAC team that doesn't play in their conference championship game.
    Best of luck, but a Wednesday game in December a month after the season ends is already going to be tough to market. Add to the fact that the closest eligible school is Edward Waters and they are still close to 5 hours away.

I used to think that it would be neat if there was more D2 bowl games. But now, with the playoff at 28 and seeing how unimportant bowl games are at the FBS level I'm not sure I feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
      I used to think that it would be neat if there was more D2 bowl games. But now, with the playoff at 28 and seeing how unimportant bowl games are at the FBS level I'm not sure I feel the same way.
      Part of me really feels like this is a game that's banking on inviting Tuskegee as much as possible. With Tuskegee out of the playoffs again, and only a 6 win requirement, seems they have set this up to be an extra game for Tuskegee against any CIAA school that's willing to accept the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Part of me really feels like this is a game that's banking on inviting Tuskegee as much as possible. With Tuskegee out of the playoffs again, and only a 6 win requirement, seems they have set this up to be an extra game for Tuskegee against any CIAA school that's willing to accept the offer.
        I'd love for Tuskegee to get things right again. D2 CFB and HBCU football is better when Tuskegee is good.

Comment

Why does this seem like the Pioneer Bowl 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by gsutiger2002 View Post
            Why does this seem like the Pioneer Bowl 2.0?
            It is, and add in a location and date that makes even less sense. At least the Pioneer Bowl was played in locations that were drivable for the vast majority of the SIAC and CIAA.

It looks like the CIAA and SIAC have both officially signed on.
            https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/n...rt-lauderdale/

Comment

Welcome to the Britain Fish and Chips bowl featuring the CIAA and the SAC lol

Comment

More visibility for the CIAA is always a good thing. Personally I rather see a DI FCS vs DII bowl game. FAMU vs VUU or someone. But that is probably wishful thinking.

Comment

I believe that the best chance of this potential bowl to be successful is to include the Sun Conference. With a matchup between their (Sun Conference) highest ranking team against a NAIA, D3 or D2 team from the GSC, SAC, CIAA, SAIC.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                    I believe that the best chance of this potential bowl to be successful is to include the Sun Conference. With a matchup between their (Sun Conference) highest ranking team against a NAIA, D3 or D2 team from the GSC, SAC, CIAA, SAIC.
                    The Sun Conference? Interesting. Honestly I never heard of the conference until now.

If I can't get a D1 FCS SWAC vs D2 CIAA game then I would pay money to see GLIAC vs CIAA. Any team from each conference.

Comment

Let the excitement build for the JCSU v. FVSU Florida Bowl......... I can imagine seeing the tens to hundreds of fans travelling to this one.......

I would love to know how the conversation went between the 6+ win CIAA schools. I feel like they played a game of not it, because JCSU making it over FSU and VSU is joke from a pure record and quality of team standpoint.

SIAC had a 4 way tie for second place, so at least FVSU was one of those teams in the 4 way tie.

Since neither team made their conference championship I'm guessing they had already shut things down a week ago, so I guess congrats that those players just found out they have another game (even though it's a month away).
                      Last edited by LegalRam; 11-13-2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

You would've thought Fayetteville or Virginia State would have been chosen for this game 🤷🏾‍♂️

Comment

Yeah its odd match up. Does JC Smith fans travel nowadays? I remember many moons ago when the pioneer bowl starting to move around and the game was in Charlotte with Tuskegee and JC Smith. Tuskegee had more fans than JC Smith did.

Comment

If they wanted a successful BOWL Game they should have picked two 6 win teams that travel well!!! Tuskegee and Virginia State would have been great. With the way they wanted to split the money it make sense for JCSU and FVSU!!

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post
                              Yeah its odd match up. Does JC Smith fans travel nowadays? I remember many moons ago when the pioneer bowl starting to move around and the game was in Charlotte with Tuskegee and JC Smith. Tuskegee had more fans than JC Smith did.
                              JCSU doesn't travel, and barely show up for their home football games. Now, basketball is a different story. They pack that little gym out.

LT93bunny is right, based off of the eligible CIAA teams VSU would have likely brought the best crowd.

I am hopeful this game does well, but it just seems like they have a lot of factors working against its success.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X