Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2 Championship Game......Just Imagine

Just imagine if the NCAA had really thought about the option of allowing the top seeded team (in this case Valdosta State University) to host the Division 2 National Football Championship.

I could easily see the town of Valdosta Georgia being a really great host city, with welcome banners everywhere, special events, tailgating / cook-off competitions, battle of the bands, etc, and a fully packed out enthusiastic stadium. (not to mention Blazer Lady's world renowned cookies)

Southern hospitality mixed with southern charm, and a true college football town atmosphere, just the right combo.

It would have probably generated enough excitement that ESPN wouldn't have regulated the game over to their much lesser watched stepchild ESPNU.

Re: D2 Championship Game......Just Imagine

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
    Just imagine if the NCAA had really thought about the option of allowing the top seeded team (in this case Valdosta State University) to host the Division 2 National Football Championship.

I could easily see the town of Valdosta Georgia being a really great host city, with welcome banners everywhere, special events, tailgating / cook-off competitions, battle of the bands, etc, and a fully packed out enthusiastic stadium. Southern hospitality mixed with southern charm, and a true college football town atmosphere, just the right combo.

It would have probably generated enough excitement that ESPN wouldn't have regulated the game over to their much lesser watched stepchild ESPNU.
    I agree Eagle74, I think the top seeded team hosting is a much better option. Now, I would not have been happy to travel all the way to Minnesota in 2010 when we played Duluth, but it would've been really cool all the same!

Comment

Comment

RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
        Delta State University, GSC

Comment

That sure blows away the whole premise of this thread of the top seed hosting.

Comment

That's Dallas Metro. If you fly into Atlanta, aren't there parts of the city in which it takes an hour to reach by car?

Comment

I could easily see the town of Valdosta Georgia being a really great host city, with welcome banners everywhere, special events, tailgating / cook-off competitions, battle of the bands, etc, and a fully packed out enthusiastic stadium. (not to mention Blazer Lady's world renowned cookies)

Southern hospitality mixed with southern charm, and a true college football town atmosphere, just the right combo.

They sure can print and plan and pay for things quickly in Valdosta.

This is a utopian dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                That's Dallas Metro. If you fly into Atlanta, aren't there parts of the city in which it takes an hour to reach by car?
                Depends on what time of day and how bad traffic is.
                Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Comment

Comment

Dallas traffic is no where near as bad as Atlanta. Fly into Love Field, take the North Dallas Tollway and you will be in Frisco in 45 minutes. Weather for Saturday is 59 and sunny.

Comment

Even though both schools have a strong and loyal fan base, I'm sure ESPN wasn't to thrilled to broadcast a Championship game on ESPN, or ESPN2 with the strong possibility of a half empty (or more) stadium at McKinney High School Stadium. So they scuffed it over to their little league baseball, badminton, ping pong channel. I really hope I'm wrong about all of the empty seats.

I'm very disappointed that most of America will now miss the opportunity to see these two excellent Division 2 Football teams play on a channel more accessible to the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        Plus tonight it is raining and sleeting......

#BlazerNation

Comment

In the press conference, they called Ferris St. Valdosta st. And then said the Valdosta St. Bulldogs......lol......

#BlazerNation

Comment

Even though both schools have a strong and loyal fan base, I'm sure ESPN wasn't to thrilled to broadcast a Championship game on ESPN, or ESPN2 with the strong possibility of a half empty (or more) stadium at McKinney High School Stadium. So they scuffed it over to their little league baseball, badminton, ping pong channel. I really hope I'm wrong about all of the empty seats.

I'm very disappointed that most of America will now miss the opportunity to see these two excellent Division 2 Football teams play on a channel more accessible to the masses.
                            ESPN and every other TV network base their decisions on viewership as viewership equals revenue. The entire living alumni of both schools could be at the game and it wouldn't matter. It's about eyes watching the TV, and the D-II game doesn't attract viewership.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
                              ESPN and every other TV network base their decisions on viewership as viewership equals revenue. The entire living alumni of both schools could be at the game and it wouldn't matter. It's about eyes watching the TV, and the D-II game doesn't attract viewership.
                              It is a cyclic situation. The eyes do not watch D2 because they don't know anything about D2. They don't know anything about D2 without sports channels showing D2........:bulgy-eyes:

D1 would not be what it is today without the sports channel showing the games they do.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X