Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D2 Championship Game......Just Imagine

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    That's Dallas Metro. If you fly into Atlanta, aren't there parts of the city in which it takes an hour to reach by car?
    As in, every part of the city.

Comment

So, if we ever moved to D2 Schools hosting, we'd have a lot of things mentioned above to worry about...but another thing is the setup for media & SID's. This is not a knock on VSU or their stadium, because I think it's a really nice stadium - but the wifi connection is terrible in the box, and I know space is extremely limited for visitors.

Comment

They sure can print and plan and pay for things quickly in Valdosta.

This is a utopian dream.
        You may be surprised just how fast things can be done by an organization, university, or town when real pride and enthusiasm is on the line. This is especially true when a town knows that they may be in the spotlight with a potential windfall of visitors, media, and economic $$$ for retailers, restaurants, and hotels. I was recently affiliated with an organization which quickly needed a lot of banners for a special event, and working with an on-line company, they were basically designed, printed, and FedEx was delivering them within 2 days, and by the way, it didn't cost the organization an arm and a leg. Also, other events in which fans would enjoy could be put in place in a few days.

I've been to Valdosta GA a few times, and have also stopped by McKinney TX on a trip to the Ft Worth area, and I know which place I believe would be the best fit for a Division 2 Football Championship, and would give genuine care and truly make the event 'special' for the players, their families, and fans.

As far as ESPN, in this new digital age they can quickly get things set up logistically in place for events much faster than in the past without needing specialized facilities.

Here's what's planned for the fans in McKinney TX so far (glad to see that they are setting aside 2 hours for a Fan Fest).

"The community is invited to a Fan Fest celebration ahead of the championship game from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 14 at Tupps Brewery, 721 Anderson St. The event is free to attend. Fan Fest will feature a pep rally, musical entertainment and a battle of the bands from Valdosta State and Ferris State. Food and drinks will be available for purchase."

Comment

Originally posted by BlazerLady View Post
          It is a cyclic situation. The eyes do not watch D2 because they don't know anything about D2. They don't know anything about D2 without sports channels showing D2........:bulgy-eyes:

D1 would not be what it is today without the sports channel showing the games they do.
          It's not the job of network executives to promote D-II schools into being recognizable names. It's their job to get as many eyes on their programming as possible.

There are four FBS bowl games tomorrow among teams that are not anywhere close to being in contention for the FBS national championship, and head to head on TV, the worst of those games will draw more viewership than the D-II championship game. One of those bowl games involves Georgia Southern. I'm willing to be that more non-affiliated eyes in GA will watch the GSU bowl game than the VSU championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Observer View Post
            It's not the job of network executives to promote D-II schools into being recognizable names. It's their job to get as many eyes on their programming as possible.

There are four FBS bowl games tomorrow among teams that are not anywhere close to being in contention for the FBS national championship, and head to head on TV, the worst of those games will draw more viewership than the D-II championship game. One of those bowl games involves Georgia Southern. I'm willing to be that more non-affiliated eyes in GA will watch the GSU bowl game than the VSU championship game.
            That may be true.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
              You may be surprised just how fast things can be done by an organization, university, or town when real pride and enthusiasm is on the line. This is especially true when a town knows that they may be in the spotlight with a potential windfall of visitors, media, and economic $$$ for retailers, restaurants, and hotels. I was recently affiliated with an organization which quickly needed a lot of banners for a special event, and working with an on-line company, they were basically designed, printed, and FedEx was delivering them within 2 days, and by the way, it didn't cost the organization an arm and a leg. Also, other events in which fans would enjoy could be put in place in a few days.

I've been to Valdosta GA a few times, and have also stopped by McKinney TX on a trip to the Ft Worth area, and I know which place I believe would be the best fit for a Division 2 Football Championship, and would give genuine care and truly make the event 'special' for the players, their families, and fans.

As far as ESPN, in this new digital age they can quickly get things set up logistically in place for events much faster than in the past without needing specialized facilities.

Here's what's planned for the fans in McKinney TX so far (glad to see that they are setting aside 2 hours for a Fan Fest).

"The community is invited to a Fan Fest celebration ahead of the championship game from 6-8 p.m. Dec. 14 at Tupps Brewery, 721 Anderson St. The event is free to attend. Fan Fest will feature a pep rally, musical entertainment and a battle of the bands from Valdosta State and Ferris State. Food and drinks will be available for purchase."
              ESPN was just in Valdosta this past weekend.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Comment

Valdosta would be a great place to host the title game, I'm sure. Other home sites would potentially be much much worse than McKinney. The NCAA banks on a sure thing it knows will be OK vs. taking the chance of a disaster.

Comment

Maybe some good points, but most teams handle Semi hosting pretty well. True, there are press issues and there are some other requirements. And I would have to imagine that the crowd would likely be as large as it would be at any other venue. I don't think we've seen that many show up that don't have some connection with one of the teams.

Still, I'm not a fan of a higher seed hosting the NC. I much prefer a neutral site. And by luck, not all neutral sites may not necessarily be so. So there really isn't a great answer. However, I am a huge fan of adding a week or more from the Semi's to the NC. I'm pretty sure the FCS gang has gone to that relatively recently. Having it 3 out of 4 years during the weekend just before Christmas can be a bit troublesome for many a fan base.

Comment

Higher seed hosting sounds great, until Minnesota St. is the hosting team and the opponent is from the south. 10-15 degree weather and a snow storm like they had with Tarleton St. and everyone on this thread will be protesting that it should be held at a neutral site with warm weather...lol.

Comment

Flying into dallas. Staying in Dallas. Using the rail to get around for the weekend and it takes you as far as Plano. the uber/Lyft prices to get from that station to the stadium wasnt much, less than a rental car and I dont have to worry about DUI.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                          Higher seed hosting sounds great, until Minnesota St. is the hosting team and the opponent is from the south. 10-15 degree weather and a snow storm like they had with Tarleton St. and everyone on this thread will be protesting that it should be held at a neutral site with warm weather...lol.
                          Everyone from the south was complaining about having to travel through a storm to get to the 2016 championship in Kansas City, and KC weather is a lot milder than what you get 350-45 miles further north.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                            Everyone from the south was complaining about having to travel through a storm to get to the 2016 championship in Kansas City, and KC weather is a lot milder than what you get 350-45 miles further north.
                            Part of the UNA caravan:

#hothlike

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                              Part of the UNA caravan:

#hothlike
                              Still disappointed (pi$$ed) about that entire situation.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

That's Dallas Metro. If you fly into Atlanta, aren't there parts of the city in which it takes an hour to reach by car?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X