Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gsc expansion

With the difficulty of scheduling ooc games, does the gsc just go to a 11 team conference like the gac? Who would be good additions or do some of the non-football playing schools decide to start programs?

Re: Gsc expansion

Originally posted by flexbone View Post
    With the difficulty of scheduling ooc games, does the gsc just go to a 11 team conference like the gac? Who would be good additions or do some of the non-football playing schools decide to start programs?

As competitive as the GSC is I couldn't imagine it being a negative to not play OOC games. As far as additions I think Erskine College (Due West, SC) would be a good fit especially with NGU in the conference (NGU and Erskine are both in Conference Carolinas for all other sports). I would like to see current non-football members start the sport but I have no idea which school(s) would be interested or in a position to do that. Some current NAIA programs to at least consider would be Reinhardt (GA), Southeastern (FL) or maybe Faulkner (AL).

Comment

Welcome to the GSC. This topic is beat to death every offseason and a large part of the reason UNA reclassified.

It's slim pickin's in the SE for D2 football scheduling and the GSC has been in a precarious situation since the Arkies took their toys and formed a conference they could win in.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post
        As competitive as the GSC is I couldn't imagine it being a negative to not play OOC games. As far as additions I think Erskine College (Due West, SC) would be a good fit especially with NGU in the conference (NGU and Erskine are both in Conference Carolinas for all other sports). I would like to see current non-football members start the sport but I have no idea which school(s) would be interested or in a position to do that. Some current NAIA programs to at least consider would be Reinhardt (GA), Southeastern (FL) or maybe Faulkner (AL).
        Even though it has a cool looking little campus, when I think of the GSC, I believe Erskine College is way to small to be considered as a serious candidate for expansion into the conference (enrollment = 600).

A quote from their football press release:

"Now, Erskine is figuring out what local facilities are available for games and practices, and if building a football stadium is a realistic goal for the near future."

Just not a very good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          Even though it has a cool looking little campus, when I think of the GSC, I believe Erskine College is way to small to be considered as a serious candidate for expansion into the conference (enrollment = 600).

A quote from their football press release:

"Now, Erskine is figuring out what local facilities are available for games and practices, and if building a football stadium is a realistic goal for the near future."

Just not a very good fit.

Erskine adding football will bring in more students and they'll get facilities in place in order to play (Valdosta State shares a HS stadium, Limestone does as well as do other D2 programs so playing at local HS isn't abnormal). GSC expansion in regards to my comment dealt with football only.

Comment

Saint Leo University (FL): Saint Leo has held a series of focus groups to begin the process of exploring of bringing football back, per the Hernando Sun. St. Leo currently competes in the Sunshine State Conference, which does not compete in football, but is exploring the option of moving to the D-II Gulf South Conference.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
              Saint Leo University (FL): Saint Leo has held a series of focus groups to begin the process of exploring of bringing football back, per the Hernando Sun. St. Leo currently competes in the Sunshine State Conference, which does not compete in football, but is exploring the option of moving to the D-II Gulf South Conference.
              Very interesting!

Comment

Comment

If sometime in the future if the Sunshine Conference started football would West Florida or Valdosta State Consider leaving the GSC for the SSC.

Comment

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible article.

https://www.hernandosun.com/article/...l-university-0

How could the head of the consulting firm not realize there's already a SSC team playing the GSC? Maybe they do but, jeez. lol
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by North Ala Screwdriver View Post
                      If sometime in the future if the Sunshine Conference started football would West Florida or Valdosta State Consider leaving the GSC for the SSC.
                      I'm not sure I see that but I do see how this could become a trend for other SSC schools and possibly having the numbers to have their own football conference.

That would be very, very scary for all current SR2 schools and conferences, in my opinion. Meaning, they could almost instantly become the force of the region in that recruting hotbed down in south FL.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Prior to their D2 transition, Lee and Union were considering football. Is there anything new on this or has the idea gone out the window? https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/

Any chance on getting Cumberland (TN) to reconsider D2 and join the GSC? Or, Southeastern (FL) to join the SSC and the GSC as a football affiliate? Another possible idea is to get Middle Georgia to elevate their club football to varsity and move up to D2 and the GSC.

The article makes it sound like Saint Leo would look to completely leave the SSC to join the GSC; why not just be a football affiliate with Florida Tech? I have felt that with the success Florida Tech and West Florida has had that it might inspire other SSC schools to consider football.

I doubt Valdosta State or West Florida would want to join the SSC if that conference sponsored football. The SSC are all private schools and all but Embry-Riddle are south from the Orlando area.

Comment

I had interesting conversation the other day with a friend (he doesn't work in a college athletics department but is a fan of small college football). With Florida Tech dropping football and what this could mean for the GSC moving forward (football only), he suggested a deal between Conference Carolinas and the GSC (like the one the Big South and the ASUN have at the FCS level). This would bring four more schools into the existing football conference bringing the GSC to 12 teams in football. Split the conference East and West with one of the GA schools playing in the East and everyone else in the West. Does anyone know if this topic has been brought up before?

EAST: NGU, Erskine, Barton, Chowan, UNCP and/or SU/UWG/VSU
                          WEST: DSU, MC, UWA, UWF and/or SU/UWG/VSU

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post
                              I had interesting conversation the other day with a friend (he doesn't work in a college athletics department but is a fan of small college football). With Florida Tech dropping football and what this could mean for the GSC moving forward (football only), he suggested a deal between Conference Carolinas and the GSC (like the one the Big South and the ASUN have at the FCS level). This would bring four more schools into the existing football conference bringing the GSC to 12 teams in football. Split the conference East and West with one of the GA schools playing in the East and everyone else in the West. Does anyone know if this topic has been brought up before?

EAST: NGU, Erskine, Barton, Chowan, UNCP and/or SU/UWG/VSU
                              WEST: DSU, MC, UWA, UWF and/or SU/UWG/VSU
                              That's similar to when the Arkansas schools came to the GSC. But, I don't see your scenario happening. No way do those founding schools put themselves in an SEC West-type situation. Now, a scheduling alliance might work but not a conference that puts most all of the long term GSC in one division.
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X