Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Pensacola Food

Hello my GSC brethren,

My family is going to be in Pensacola Beach June 18-25th. What are some MUST eat places in Pensacola and Pensacola Beach? Not the tourist places.

Thanks!

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I would say be sure to check out Naval Air Museum on NAS-Pensacola, BUT due to the crazy Saudi Arabian pilot that shot up the place a while back, you have to be active duty, DOD card member, retired military or like myself, VA disability. Personally I think any and all veterans should be able to visit but those are the rules, for right now anyway. Hopefully they will reopen to the general public soon. The museum is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post
        I would say be sure to check out Naval Air Museum on NAS-Pensacola, BUT due to the crazy Saudi Arabian pilot that shot up the place a while back, you have to be active duty, DOD card member, retired military or like myself, VA disability. Personally I think any and all veterans should be able to visit but those are the rules, for right now anyway. Hopefully they will reopen to the general public soon. The museum is amazing.
        It's an amazing museum. I miss it very much. They allowed the public on for one day last Saturday to commemorate the Battle of Midway. Almost 3000 went that day.

I hope they will open it up soon.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

In Pensacola (not the beach), there are so many options that I hope a few others chime in. Here are my go-to's.

McGuire's Irish Pub - To me, you haven't visited P'cola until you've been here. There's also one in Destin. Yet, I get where it might feel a bit touristy to locals. Millions in dollars hanging from the ceiling, over-the-top menu items, larger-than-life portions, and oftentimes a guy singing Irish pub songs who may encourage you to "Kiss the Moose" (a moose head on the wall) or the crotch of the Leprechaun in a painting on the wall! Even the occasional bagpipe. LOL. Don't let the signs on the bathrooms confuse you. Seems that was an issue in the past at their Destin location. I enjoy several of their appetizers (Rueben egg rolls, Irish boxtys, a jumbo pretzel, and their Senate Bean soup that's just 18 cents!). Don't sleep on the pretzel. It's great! (Ask for the chocolate sauce with it). Any of their entrees are great and my best friends say their steaks are some of their favorites around. Steaks aren't my thing really. I usually get their Fish & Chips or a burger, which are not really the items I'd order if on vacation, to be honest. So much to get there. Also, if it's your thing, I enjoy their in-house-brewed beers! Even their root beer is brewed on-site. Very tasty. Can you tell I enjoy this place? https://www.facebook.com/Mcguiresirishpub

Jackson's Steakhouse - One of the most upscale restaurants in the area. I've been several times over the years and enjoy it every time. Their menu changes and it's pricey. But, it's worth it, especially if on vacation. They used to have a Martini lunch where they gave you a cocktail with some great lunch offerings. I don't think they are doing that right now. But they have great cocktail offerings, too. The menu changes throughout the year and they usually have a daily chef special which always looks excellent on their social media. I've had several steaks there and loved them often-time because they are garnished with seafood or other upscale items and served with amazing sides. On Mondays, you can get a whole Maine Lobster and sides for $19.99. On Tuesdays, the same price for their prime rib special. Decadent desserts for sure. https://www.facebook.com/JacksonsSteakhouse

Oar House - A little farther away from the beach than you may want to venture but you'd pass by Blue Wahoos Stadium where UWF used to play. Speaking of, looks like they have home games that first weekend you'll be here. Oar House is situated on Bayou Chico by a marina and is all open-air or outdoors. Affordable appetizers and entree options. When busy it's buzzing with folks at the two different bars, seated along the water, playing volleyball, or throwing food to the stray cats on the rocky banks. LOL. I enjoy this place. I enjoy their seafood offerings here, especially their blackened fish sandwich or their Mahi Mahi tacos. https://www.facebook.com/OarHouse

Elbow Room - A place the other Pensacola folks might be surprised I'm mentioning. It's the most unique food and beverage experience in town, IMO. The environment is the coolest part. In a random building on the west side of town, I once told friends about it and they turned around and drove off upon arrival. LOL. When they went back later, they felt a bit silly. It's a dark spot (red lighting) with all kinds of neon signs on the walls, a jukebox, vintage video games and pinball machines, board games you can bring to the table, etc. It's subs and pizza mainly with some cool appetizer options. The original owner loved Star Trek and there are hints of ST everywhere including the menu items. For example, my favorite sub there is the Captain Turk with real carved turkey and sliced Granny Smith apples. Sounds odd until you'd had it. Really good pizza with a wide variety of toppings. Some good soup offerings and usually a wonderful homemade dessert option. https://www.facebook.com/ElbowRoomPensacola

Okay, sorry to ramble. There are at least 20-30 (probably more) other really awesome options here according to what type of food and price point you're wanting. Food trucks, taco stands, seafood, International options, etc. Feel free to ask for anything specific. There's a FB Group called Pensacola Foodies that discusses and shows photos of so many great things that I can't follow it anymore. LOL.
          Last edited by UNALions; 06-10-2022, 05:49 PM.
          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Comment

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Since we seem to be going down Memory Lane, and being from there(Tate High school) several outstanding "no longer there' places that were great in their day....

Hopkins Boarding House
                House of Chong
                Bayou (Rooks) Oyster Bar (was closed when I was there in December)
                Firehouse Drive-In (now McGuires)

Comment

Everyone has mentioned some good places. When I lived in Pensacola (2016-2018) I frequented the Coffee Cup (breakfast) on Cervantes, Jaco's Bayfront on S. Palafox on the marina with views of Blue Wahoos Stadium, and George Bistro+Bar now on 9th Ave.

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post
                    Since we seem to be going down Memory Lane, and being from there(Tate High school) several outstanding "no longer there' places that were great in their day....

Hopkins Boarding House
                    House of Chong
                    McGuires serves Hopkins Fried Chicken as their special on Wednesdays!
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerCrusader#84 View Post
                      Everyone has mentioned some good places. When I lived in Pensacola (2016-2018) I frequented the Coffee Cup (breakfast) on Cervantes, Jaco's Bayfront on S. Palafox on the marina with views of Blue Wahoos Stadium, and George Bistro+Bar now on 9th Ave.
                      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larold View Post

Hopkins Boarding House
                        House of Chong
                        Looks like House of Chong is still open on Navy Blvd but I've never been there. Maybe I need to try it out and report back to you! lol

The Marina Oyster Barn was owned by the Rooks and I'm very sad they are closed. I'm shocked they made it 50 years in that awesome little location though. After every storm, they mark the water line on the main wall of the dining room. There were markings there from numerous storms that flooded their building.
                        Marina Oyster Barn is now permanently closed. The owner, Dale Rooks, made the final decision to sell the business after it received significant damage during Hurricane Sally. Caption: WEAR. Many locals see the restaurant as an institution in Pensacola and are sad to see it go after more than 50 years. "He's been through five or six hurricanes. He had a little thing on the wall showing how high each storm came, I think Ivan was the worst.
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Looks like House of Chong is still open on Navy Blvd but I've never been there. Maybe I need to try it out and report back to you! lol

The Marina Oyster Barn was owned by the Rooks and I'm very sad they are closed. I'm shocked they made it 50 years in that awesome little location though. After every storm, they mark the water line on the main wall of the dining room. There were markings there from numerous storms that flooded their building.
                          Please do!

Thanks for other updates as well. Ate at Rooks many times. Thought I had eaten my last Hopkins BH chicken, but thanks to you,MAYBE NOT!

Did you ever eat at Angus on Scenic Highway? Another "used to be Great place" CVS now, I believe.

Comment

We had Crabs yesterday for lunch. Had breakfast from Native Cafe. Outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                              We had Crabs yesterday for lunch. Had breakfast from Native Cafe. Outstanding
                              Yay!! I was wondering earlier how your trip was going so far!
                              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X