Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible realignment D1 ASUN effect on D2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible realignment D1 ASUN effect on D2?

Pete Thamel tweet regarding Kennesaw moving to CUSA. One reply to suggests Valdosta and West Georgia as upgrades to help replenish the ASUN. If that occurs who would replace the loss of Valdosta and West Georgia?

Prep yourself for the Valdosta and West Georgia aren't leaving. I know a buddy there and he talked to people and they said they have no interest in d1 lol. I hope they do move up to d1

Comment

This happens all the time, and I’m not saying they won’t ever move D1, but every time something like this comes out, the admin at both schools state their pleasure with D2 athletics.

Comment

Why move for what seems like very little overall gain and increased cost.

Comment

I'd say for better competition and because they'd be better off in d1

Comment

Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post
            I'd say for better competition and because they'd be better off in d1
            Better off? Explain. I’m curious about your thoughts.
            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Yes Better off how really and just how strong is the ASUN across the board / not just football?

Comment

D1 in general is better simply because d2 is falling apart. Yes asun is losing members to bigger conferences because they are a small conference thats just sitting pat but as big as those schools are there is no way they wouldn't be a success at the D1 level

Comment

As much as those D2 lovers would love for schools to stop moving up schools like Valdosta have grown or have been a success at the d2 level for a long period of time. Yes d1 is expensive but they get themselves out there to recruits, have a chance for TV exposure etc. Like what happens if d2 falls apart? What do they do at that point. I'd give it 2 years tops that VSU would win the Asun. Just like Uindy would win the OVC.

Comment

VSU will not move up. Would need to add sports and a stadium at a time when athletic budgets are shrinking across the board.

We have seen many D2 teams move up with dreams of glory and athletic success in FCS. How many actually match or improve on their D2 performance? I think the VSU administration would rather be a big fish in the D2 pond than an also-ran in D1.

Comment

If it is only about football, a move to FCS makes sense. But D2 has strong basketball, baseball, soccer and women’s sports.

Comment

Originally posted by crashandannie View Post
                        VSU will not move up. Would need to add sports and a stadium at a time when athletic budgets are shrinking across the board.

We have seen many D2 teams move up with dreams of glory and athletic success in FCS. How many actually match or improve on their D2 performance? I think the VSU administration would rather be a big fish in the D2 pond than an also-ran in D1.
                        Ya If I remember right USI said the same thing but there D1. It be stupid not to move up hell at this point VSU might as well move down to D3. Then again I can't really believe anything anyone says on these boards about "schools not moving up"

Comment

Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

Ya If I remember right USI said the same thing but there D1. It be stupid not to move up hell at this point VSU might as well move down to D3. Then again I can't really believe anything anyone says on these boards about "schools not moving up"
                          There are many, many factors at play in a move up, including facilities, Title 9 parity, quality of program, getting an invitation, and especially finances. VSU would have to more than double the current athletic budget to be able to move up, in a time with less available funding. It is also a multi-year process.

Go take a look at the actual requirements. VSU will not be moving in the next 5 years, and unless the rules change not anytime in the foreseeable future.

Doesn’t matter if you “believe” or not. It is what it is.

Comment

I'm not so sure the ASUN will have football schools much longer. I'd heard this recently so I didn't respond to this post the other day.

But today I see...

FBS Expansion: Per Matt Brown of Extra Points, “Austin Peay, Central Arkansas and North Alabama” are top candidates for CUSA expansion. EKU being kept out of the league by WKU.
                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

These would be good fits for CUSA! Be interesting to see if it happens.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X