Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible realignment D1 ASUN effect on D2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Where did these numbers come from? UNA just announced record enrollment of over 10K. I don't ever recall enrollment there being below 5K. It usually hovered in the 7-8k range most years in D2.
    Enrollment numbers now include online students. One high school student taking a dual enrollment english class counts as enrolled. I thought I read that UNA’s on campus was in the 7k range.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

Enrollment numbers now include online students. One high school student taking a dual enrollment english class counts as enrolled. I thought I read that UNA’s on campus was in the 7k range.
      Those numbers have been included for years now. UNA was named the fastest growing university in AL in 2021 when they announced record enrollment of 8800 last fall. That jumped to 10k this fall.

From this article:

https://thebamabuzz.com/una-breaks-e...nce-fall-2021/

The University credits several reasons for its record enrollment which occurred for 14 consecutive terms. They are:
      • A sharp increase in on-campus students, with a record number of students living in University-affiliated housing
      • The increase in the number of on-campus international students and international partners, including those in China at Guizhou University-University of North Alabama International College of Engineering and Technology on the Guizhou University campus in Guiyang, China
      • The growth of the Delores and Weldon Cole Honors College which has more than 750 students enrolled in 2022, marking its largest enrollment in its more than 15-year history at UNA
      Enrollment at UNA has increased 40% since 2015.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Seems like UNA missing being in the GSC. Only thing I see going up is more expensive costs for more losses. Hard to get excited when you are 4-7 every year. Of course if you create a d1 conference out of mostly d2 schools you could say farewell to making the playoffs because of your rankings with out quality wins. Some schools do make it though but it’s usually a long uphill struggle. The Southern Conference has had some success especially App. State and Ga. Southern. Mostly your moving up to become average at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
          Seems like UNA missing being in the GSC. Only thing I see going up is more expensive costs for more losses. Hard to get excited when you are 4-7 every year. Of course if you create a d1 conference out of mostly d2 schools you could say farewell to making the playoffs because of your rankings with out quality wins. Some schools do make it though but it’s usually a long uphill struggle. The Southern Conference has had some success especially App. State and Ga. Southern. Mostly you’re moving up to become average at best.
          I do miss the rivalries of the GSC but I don’t miss D2. In Alabama, most don’t consider anything other than FBS as real college football. That’s just facts. Even in FCS, it’s viewed as lesser than by the droves of college sports fans in the state.

Thankfully, the ASUN has 11 great schools in the conference even after Liberty, Jax State and KSU move on to CUSA. But, I do daydream about a few GSC foes coming aboard.
          Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
            Even though Valdosta Sttate has budget issues just competing in D2, a jump to the ASun could be possible because there is really nothing elite about the ASun.

It's also interesting the RO suggested an athletics fee. I had a conversation with one of my staffers the other day where he talked about the pushback by students against athletic fees.
            School Enrollment Athletic Budget (millions)
            Jacksonville State 5,884 $14.6
            Central Arkansas 7,291 $13.2
            Austin Peay 6,126 $14.1
            Kennesaw State 27,300 $24.4
            Eastern Kentucky 9,558 $17.1
            North Alabama 4,673 $10.4
            Valdosta State 7,232 $6.7
            According to the University System of Georgia, the enrollment at VSU is "more than 11,200". That number does include graduate students.

The same sources list UWG's enrollment at "more than 13,000".

Comment

In Alabama, most don’t consider anything other than FBS as real college football. That’s just facts. Even in FCS, it’s viewed as lesser than by the droves of college sports fans in the state.
              In Alabama, there are only two kinds of football - Alabama and Auburn. UAB, Troy, and Southern Miss aren't given any more or less consideration than Jax State, Samford, UNA, UWA, Faulkner, Miles and Tuskegee. "Consideration" being that only alums give a rip about it and even then if your alma mater were playing Alabama or Auburn half of the alums would be pulling against their former school.

If UNA is happy to be in D1, I am happy for them. The UNA folks that I know wish they were still in D2 but they could be in the minority. But even though football has some challenges, the other sports in D2 are doing pretty well and the games are mostly competitive.

Comment

In Alabama, there are only two kinds of football - Alabama and Auburn. UAB, Troy, and Southern Miss aren't given any more or less consideration than Jax State, Samford, UNA, UWA, Faulkner, Miles and Tuskegee. "Consideration" being that only alums give a rip about it and even then if your alma mater were playing Alabama or Auburn half of the alums would be pulling against their former school.

If UNA is happy to be in D1, I am happy for them. The UNA folks that I know wish they were still in D2 but they could be in the minority. But even though football has some challenges, the other sports in D1 are doing pretty well and the games are mostly competitive.
                How many UNA folks to you know? Venture over to our message board and see how many want to still be in D2. Zero.

Also, if you think Alabamians give the same credence to Faulkner and Miles as they do to Troy and UAB, we don’t know any of the same folks or even live in the same world. Lol.

I’ll be watching UAB take on WKU tonight because I’m interested. I’m not an alum. But, I couldn’t tell you anything Faulkner, Miles, or Tuskegee this year.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

How many UNA folks to you know? Venture over to our message board and see how many want to still be in D2. Zero.

Also, if you think Alabamians give the same credence to Faulkner and Miles as they do to Troy and UAB, we don’t know any of the same folks or even live in the same world. Lol.

I’ll be watching UAB take on WKU tonight because I’m interested. I’m not an alum. But, I couldn’t tell you anything Faulkner, Miles, or Tuskegee this year.
                  I don't know as many as someone who went to school in Florence but I do not quite a few, some that served on the BOT and many that worked at the University.

You said most in Alabama only consider FBS real football and I challenge that notion with "most" don't care about any kind of football but Alabama and Auburn and it doesn't matter what level. It was an exaggeration to make a point, it is something we do in my world.

I will say that this thread as reminded me that I am happy UNA moved up...
                  Last edited by UWAalum; 10-21-2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I will say that this thread as reminded me that I am happy UNA moved up...
                    Ditto.
                    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Where did these numbers come from? [/URL]
                      Equity in athletics website, You know how they're counted.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Equity in athletics website, You know how they're counted.
                        Those must be from the summer term or something. That site says both UWA and DSU have less than 1800 students and that MC has less than 2300.

For example, NWMSU reported to the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) student enrollment of 7,870 for 2021 but the Equality in Athletics site says 4,798.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator...sity&id=178624
                        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Highly unlikely that UWG is going to move up anytime soon. It's all about the money and approval from the Board of Regents for either UWG or Valdosta isn't going to happen at this juncture.

Comment

There is a push amongst NCAA leadership to address the unevenness between D1 and D2 athletics. Active discussions are taking place during AD meetings to require NCAA Division 1 members to have a minimum $25 million athletics budget. Look for a redistribution of schools in the next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by UWGLifer View Post
                              There is a push amongst NCAA leadership to address the unevenness between D1 and D2 athletics. Active discussions are taking place during AD meetings to require NCAA Division 1 members to have a minimum $25 million athletics budget. Look for a redistribution of schools in the next 5 years.
                              You are right on! There was a rumor several months back that a plan was being discussed among the power conferences to classify institutions like high school classes but with athletic spending instead of enrollment numbers with periodic reclassification and stiff penalties for overspending.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf King View Post
                                Highly unlikely that UWG is going to move up anytime soon. It's all about the money and approval from the Board of Regents for either UWG or Valdosta isn't going to happen at this juncture.
                                This is exactly what Kennesaw State fans said until about three weeks ago. They said the BoR would never approve of them going to FBS. Well...
                                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X