Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible realignment D1 ASUN effect on D2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

You are right on! There was a rumor several months back that a plan was being discussed among the power conferences to classify institutions like high school classes but with athletic spending instead of enrollment numbers with periodic reclassification and stiff penalties for overspending.
    Now THAT is an interesting concept.

Comment

The notion that the NCAA has control over anything in college sports is cute. I chuckled.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
        The notion that the NCAA has control over anything in college sports is cute. I chuckled.
        Going back to what I said earlier, it should be completely scrapped and started anew... or I prefer to take athletics out of the college sphere all together, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
          LSU, Air Force, Memphis and a host of others would disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

Going back to what I said earlier, it should be completely scrapped and started anew... or I prefer to take athletics out of the college sphere all together, but that's just me.
            You might get your wish if the NCAA loses in court.

Name, image and likeness lawsuit targets college sports TV revenue dating back to 2016

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...6/10574424002/

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

And who would "win" from doing this? I would speculate that the vast majority of now detatched "Sports Clubs" would go out of business rather quickly. The few that remained in business would pretty quickly pare their sports offerings down to just those capable of earning a profit. Effectively that would eliminate all but about 10 former D1 football teams and perhaps slightly more former D1 basketball programs. This would effectively eliminate ALL women's athletics and about 95% of men's sports as well. Would a select few highly gifted athletes find a way to prosper? Sure. But the 10's of thousands of students who attend college on an athletic related scholly, they will lose big time.

Comment

Yep, and it's all about the money. Kennesaw is in the same size range as Georgia Southern. If UWG and Valdosta gained 10k students each then that would be another subject.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

And who would "win" from doing this? I would speculate that the vast majority of now detatched "Sports Clubs" would go out of business rather quickly. The few that remained in business would pretty quickly pare their sports offerings down to just those capable of earning a profit. Effectively that would eliminate all but about 10 former D1 football teams and perhaps slightly more former D1 basketball programs. This would effectively eliminate ALL women's athletics and about 95% of men's sports as well. Would a select few highly gifted athletes find a way to prosper? Sure. But the 10's of thousands of students who attend college on an athletic related scholly, they will lose big time.
                  I just don' think the 19 million college students should be paying athletic fees to support the 10s of thousands. College athletics have gotten completely out of control. And yes, I believe exclusivity is a good thing, so you saying it would make next level athletics more exclusive sounds like a good thing, not a bad thing. We are in a meritocracy. Let the market determine whether your skill level is worth their investment, and not subsidized by the state. Separate the wheat from the chaff as it were.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X