Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWG

Not sure if anyone else had seen this yet from Matt Brown

Multiple industry sources tell Extra Points that the University of West Georgia is seeking to reclassify to D-I and join the ASUN and UAC. The Georgia Board of Regents will consider the request in a meeting this Friday.

Matt Brown is hearing that West Georgia might be headed to the ASUN!

Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

From D1.ticker:

West Georgia (DII) is seeking to move to DI and join the ASUN and UAC, pending board approval on Friday, per Extra Points' Matt Brown, who adds the move would take place in 2024-25.
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I don't want to usurp Matt's paywall too much but I'm a subscriber and will share that this would start next season and UWG will need to add sports. They plan to start with Track & Field, which are the easiest teams to add for both men and women.

Oddly, UNA discontinued T&F when they moved to D1 and instead added women's golf and beach volleyball.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

UWG's move to D-1 should cause an immediate push for the other GSC to consider requesting a merger of the GSC and Conference Carolinas. With all of the recent conference realignments going on across the country, seems like the most logical move these days.

Comment

Noooo! RIP GSC football!

I hate to see these schools leave the GSC, but I 100% don't blame them. I think it's a smart move. UWF and VSU, I'm sure, will follow eventually.

I would love for DSU to move up, but I don't see it happening with our diminishing enrollment and lack of funds. Although it won't happen, I would also love to see DSU and Mississippi Valley State merge. I truly think a merger would benefit both schools.
            RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
            Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
              UWG's move to D-1 should cause an immediate push for the other GSC to consider requesting a merger of the GSC and Conference Carolinas. With all of the recent conference realignments going on across the country, seems like the most logical move these days.
              Matt's article speculates that this could push larger enrollment schools like UWF and VSU to join UWG in making this move. That would only leave 3 football schools in the GSC in 2025. DSU, MC, and UWA. An affiliation in football would likely be needed for them in the GAC, LSC, or CC.

If the GA Board of Regents approves this, I think Valdosta will be announcing sooner than later. I hope that triggers UWF to do the same. Then, the ASUN would have 7 football schools and would possibly forgo the UAC deal or the UAC could have divisions.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

Matt's article speculates that this could push larger enrollment schools like UWF and VSU to join UWG in making this move. That would only leave 3 football schools in the GSC in 2025. DSU, MC, and UWA. An affiliation in football would likely be needed for them in the GAC, LSC, or CC.

If the GA Board of Regents approves this, I think Valdosta will be announcing sooner than later. I hope that triggers UWF to do the same. Then, the ASUN would have 7 football schools and would possibly forgo the UAC deal or the UAC could have divisions.
                Let's say those 3 jet...it would make a tremendous amount of sense to me for DSU, MC and UWA to go the GAC route or LSC than CC. Not to mention better leagues.

Comment

Give CC a little time, and I bet you'll be surprised how good they may become. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Barton ends up competing for the SAC title this year

Comment

GSC is a dumpster fire. The only path forward is up. Wouldn't be surprised to see UWF follow soon. I hear the conversation hasn't started at VD State.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf King View Post
                      GSC is a dumpster fire. The only path forward is up. Wouldn't be surprised to see UWF follow soon. I hear the conversation hasn't started at VD State.
                      Valdosta's higher up always wanted to stay loyal to the crumbling D2 and refused to go D1 but might have too

Comment

If true, this news for UWG will succeed or fail on how long those who made it happen stick around. Many of leaders have created great news and rode the wave out of town. This looks exciting.

Comment

D2 is starting to look more and more like NAIA with all the big schools leaving.

Comment

I see Valdosta State making the jump as soon as Herb retires as their AD.

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                              I don't want to usurp Matt's paywall too much but I'm a subscriber and will share that this would start next season and UWG will need to add sports. They plan to start with Track & Field, which are the easiest teams to add for both men and women.

Oddly, UNA discontinued T&F when they moved to D1 and instead added women's golf and beach volleyball.
                              I believe we would just need to add men's T&F to reach the D1 minimum of 6 men's and 8 women's sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X