• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta State University - 2024

Statesmen Football Head Coach Todd Cooley Signs Contract Extension
    https://gostatesmen.com/news/2024/1/...XP6tivPgRL2w-I
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

I did notice they didn’t say how long this contract extensions was unlike last time. Cooley has had some up and down years, but I like him in Cleveland. He’s classroom, community, and competitively focused.

Comment

2024 Schedule
      https://gostatesmen.com/sports/football/schedule

Comment

A good schedule! It will be interesting to see who the QB is and how that goes. Replacing Shegog is big shoes to fill.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shugley View Post

Looks like a good schedule. Not all cupcake non conference games. If I remember correctly (which I could be way off) the MVSU series was supposed to be a 4 year contract. I’m sure the gate sales were good, but there is no way it was a good look getting trounced by the D2 school 40 miles away when you’re supposed to be the big D1 school in the region.
          Copy and pasted my comment from another thread. Curious to see if other people have thoughts:

I was watching SportsCenter at the gym this morning and saw MVSU was highlighted for winning their first basketball game of the season. It got me thinking.

Why is there so much disparity between Delta and Mississippi Valley in athletics?

They're essentially in the same location, the Mississippi Delta. I would imagine both schools are recruiting the same athletes, same schools (HS & JUCO), the same areas. Not sure if academic standards play a role, but I certainly doubt it does; neither school is an academic powerhouse. Plus, being D1 FCS, MVSU can offer more scholarships.

So, why is MVSU a perennial loser and why do they consistently lose to their lower division counterpart?

If Delta were to join the SWAC, they would easily be in the top half of the conference, if not in the top 3 teams. Especially with the extra scholarships. I know that's not saying much, but it blows my mind that MVSU is able to remain in FCS from a financial and athletic standpoint. I still believe that if MVSU and DSU were to merge, they'd be a stronger combined university athletically and academically. I know none of this would ever happen due to HBCU legacy, but it's just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

Copy and pasted my comment from another thread. Curious to see if other people have thoughts:

I was watching SportsCenter at the gym this morning and saw MVSU was highlighted for winning their first basketball game of the season. It got me thinking.

Why is there so much disparity between Delta and Mississippi Valley in athletics?

They're essentially in the same location, the Mississippi Delta. I would imagine both schools are recruiting the same athletes, same schools (HS & JUCO), the same areas. Not sure if academic standards play a role, but I certainly doubt it does; neither school is an academic powerhouse. Plus, being D1 FCS, MVSU can offer more scholarships.

So, why is MVSU a perennial loser and why do they consistently lose to their lower division counterpart?

If Delta were to join the SWAC, they would easily be in the top half of the conference, if not in the top 3 teams. Especially with the extra scholarships. I know that's not saying much, but it blows my mind that MVSU is able to remain in FCS from a financial and athletic standpoint. I still believe that if MVSU and DSU were to merge, they'd be a stronger combined university athletically and academically. I know none of this would ever happen due to HBCU legacy, but it's just a thought.

As to why MVSU is a perennial loser: I think it is a) money and b) the institution (which includes admins down through coaches and staff, etc.). Sure they fund FCS scholarships but that doesn't really mean anything if there are coaching, staff, and/or facility issues - it is difficult to recruit. Even if the athletics money were the same, I think DSU would still be better because of the people they bring in (coaches, staff, athletes).

HBCUs have a difficult time keeping good coaches which usually comes down to institutional issues that connect back to money (not to mention all of the politics at the university level and state level). Remember, Deion constantly put Jackson State's business out there and that led to problems being fixed by the administration but there were other HBCUs that had/have issues around facilities and staff amongst other things. So I think we are talking about a systemic issue not just a singular institution such as MVSU. I don't think you intended to ask loaded questions but due to the nature of state politics, academic institutions, race relations, etc. those questions tend to load themselves.

We played a few HBCUs at NGU when I was there (and after) and they were always extremely talented (speed, size, athleticism, etc.) but a lot of the time the coaching and team unity were lacking. So, I think it is a holistic issue for MVSU and other HBCU athletics programs.

Comment

Interesting article from today.
              The bill would seem to be aimed at the four smallest institutions, Delta State, MS University for Women, Mississippi Valley State and Alcorn State.
              Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
                Interesting article from today.

Of course nothing is official yet, but to see Delta State included in this article is heartbreaking. However, the writing has been on the wall for years.

If I were Delta State, I would do everything I could to merge with Ole Miss, as the article mentioned. I think this would be the ideal situation. If I was the leadership at Delta State right now, I would be drafting several memorandums as to why, and how, Delta State adds to the University of Mississippi's mission and vision. However, does Ole Miss really want to take on $10,000,000 in debt? It just doesn't seem worth it for Ole Miss, unless they want to extend an olive branch.

Also, if I were Delta State, I would be reaching out to Mississippi Valley about a merger that would increase enrollment and establish the new university as the biggest and the premiere university in the Mississippi Delta. Both universities are at risk of being shut down. At this point, setting aside their differences can potentially save both universities.

Either way, I think Delta State’s future is grim. When stuff like this starts being discussed, it’s only a matter of time before action takes place.
                ​​​​​​​

This is extremely unfortunate for Delta State and the delta population. I believe DSU has a lot to offer, and it will be a big loss if/when the university is closed.

Comment

The enrollment cliff is a reality that will cause at least three strategies for D2 schools: Merge to stay alive; cut athletics, a la Fla. Tech, to stay alive; or close completely as Notre Dame just did this week. The next decade will be a rough roller coaster for D2 and all of college sports as the student numbers drop drastically.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                    The enrollment cliff is a reality that will cause at least three strategies for D2 schools: Merge to stay alive; cut athletics, a la Fla. Tech, to stay alive; or close completely as Notre Dame just did this week. The next decade will be a rough roller coaster for D2 and all of college sports as the student numbers drop drastically.
                    I foresee a lot of small public colleges closing, unfortunately. I’ve been looking at the enrollment cliff for awhile now, but this will be the first big obstacle (as a society) from people not having more kids. I think your 3 strategies are correct. For DSU, personally I think the most practical option would be to come under the “umbrella” of either MSU or Ole Miss a la UTAM-commerce, kingsville or UA- Huntsville/Birmingham.

Comment

Looks like Delta added Mars Hill to the schedule, making for an 11 game season. I like it.

Comment

With Shorter moving to Conference Carolinas, West Georgia and potentially UWF leaving for a higher division, and unsettling news about Delta State, what do you think the GSC will look like in 3 to 4 years from now?

Comment

Confining my answer to MC, I am thoroughly convinced they will move back down to division 3. I do not see any other possible options for them if things continue unraveling such as they have

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                            With Shorter moving to Conference Carolinas, West Georgia and potentially UWF leaving for a higher division, and unsettling news about Delta State, what do you think the GSC will look like in 3 to 4 years from now?
                            What GSC?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                              Delta State and Mississippi College could consider the GAC for a realigned conference. Also if two Tennessee or Oklahoma schools were to merge in the GAC could be a larger conference without much additonal footprint in area.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X