Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by athensblazer View Post

I have always enjoyed visiting Cleveland and Greenville - food and people are great, and Delta State has a beautiful camps. Would hate to see anything happen with Delta State.

It is challenging on many fronts for any institution that is not super G5. NIL, NCAA lawsuits, conference realignment - and the enrollment cliff - must make it tough to be an AD.

In Georgia, consolidating institutions has had mixed success. It worked well for U of North Georgia and Middle Georgia State. I could see Valdosta merging with nearby SGA St campuses in Douglas and Waycross to become University of South Georgia (or stay Valdosta State) - would lose some history, but the regional focus, and combined enrollment and fee boost could really help create some efficiency with degree delivery. Would really help the institution brand and athletics. It feels like GROW OR DIE right now.

Delta State would benefit from some consolidation perhaps - wish you had a partner where Delta would be the lead institution because it is a great school in a unique area.
    I agree! If it were up to me, Delta State and Mississippi Valley State would merge and become the preeminent institution in the Mississippi Delta. That, or Ole Miss or Miss St take over Delta State.
    - University of Mississippi in the Delta (UMD)
    - Mississippi State University - Delta (MSUD)
    Last edited by CalifOKRA; 05-24-2024, 03:49 AM.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Like I said in an earlier post, I really like and respect VSU, and right now the Blazers are like a big fish in a medium sized pond. I have a strong feeling that if they try and move up a division (unless they get a huge influx of major funding) they will end up being like a small minnow in a huge lake, and will be forced to pimp out the team in playing much bigger programs for paychecks.

Just look back at Savannah State's history of great expectations when they moved up, and then had to move back down. Their team was repeatedly embarrassed on the field for paychecks to try and keep the program afloat. Lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
        Like I said in an earlier post, I really like and respect VSU, and right now the Blazers are like a big fish in a medium sized pond. I have a strong feeling that if they try and move up a division (unless they get a huge influx of major funding) they will end up being like a small minnow in a huge lake, and will be forced to pimp out the team in playing much bigger programs for paychecks.

Just look back at Savannah State's history of great expectations when they moved up, and then had to move back down. Their team was repeatedly embarrassed on the field for paychecks to try and keep the program afloat. Lesson learned.
        UWG is about to have conference games in Utah.

VSU never struck when they had momentum, and now they are facing falling enrollments. It may be too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          With the GAC having an exceptional Harding team this season, which ran roughshod through it's own conference, in no way elevates the GAC as a whole above the GSC.

Now that may be the case if the GSC is diluted as a stand along conference without making modifications and changes in the near future. The clock is rapidly ticking.

With the direction the GSC may be headed for survival, (and I wish them the best) I can fully understand DSU's possible need of cozying up to the GAC, while there's still a chance.
          The Harding / LR game got ugly. Looking at Valdosta's performance against LR this year (a blow out for LR) - and the GSC's performance vs Valdosta - I think an argument can be made that the GAC was better than the GSC last season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X