• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSC teams to join into the GAC?

On the GAC forum was posted the following:
    ETBU to the GAC?

05-02-2024, 12:20 AM
    I'm not sure if anyone has followed the implosion of the American Southwest Conference (D3) that has seen 8 members move to other D3 conferences and abandoning East Texas Baptist, Howard Payne, Hardin Simmons, and Mary Hardin Baylor.

There simply isn't anywhere for the four to go in D3. There is a long shot of merging with a Southern California conference... but it just doesn't make $$ or geographic sense.

The poster wrote how of the four teams, ETBU is more physically aligned with the Oklahoma and Arkansas GAC members and could consider a move up to join the GAC. But that would mean a need for another team to join and also to make sure to keep the balance for the whole conference. I wrote the following response:
    I wonder about what may be down the road for the Gulf South, specifically for Delta State and Mississippi College.It looks as if some of the GSC might be moving up to and out of D2 so where does that leave DSU and MC? They are physically close to the Arkansas teams and they may be needing a place to call home.

But that would create an imbalance on the Eastern side of the Arkansas/Oklahoma GAC footprint. To remedy that, what if NE Oklahoma or Central Oklahoma left from the MIAA and then ETBU came in to balance that Western side of the Arkansas/Oklahoma GAC footprint? Now the GAC covers four states, has 16 teams, can create a non-silo schedule and have a championship game between the two halves of the conference.

Thoughts?

Now I pass along to our friends in the GSC this information and thought . . . what might you think, being teams to our eastern footprint, of joining into the GAC should there be an equal joining of some teams on the western side or our conference?

It's crazy to think all the Arkansas schools ran from GSC competition but, a decade later, the GAC may be stronger than the GSC in football.
    Seems like the Arkansas schools made a solid decision.
    RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
    Delta State University, GSC

Comment

With the GAC having an exceptional Harding team this season, which ran roughshod through it's own conference, in no way elevates the GAC as a whole above the GSC.

Now that may be the case if the GSC is diluted as a stand along conference without making modifications and changes in the near future. The clock is rapidly ticking.

With the direction the GSC may be headed for survival, (and I wish them the best) I can fully understand DSU's possible need of cozying up to the GAC, while there's still a chance.
      Last edited by Eagle74; 05-05-2024, 10:51 AM.

Comment

My understanding is that DSU would need to add a couple sports to be eligible for the GAC.

Of course, in one important aspect, DSU is unacceptably deficient to the GAC which should bar their addition.

We simply can't add the boring name of "statesmen" to a conference with Muleriders, Reddies, Wonder Boys, Boll Weevils, and Bison(s). They must formally change their name to the Fighting Okra before I would support their addition.
        Passing is a Sin

Comment

Just an opinion from a former player.....I would think West Alabama might be good fit for the GAC. We are less than two hours from Mississippi College.

Comment

Originally posted by baldereagle View Post
            Just an opinion from a former player.....I would think West Alabama might be good fit for the GAC. We are less than two hours from Mississippi College.
            I agree, except I think that would be pushing the resources of a few of the Oklahoma schools with that travel. Although, having separate divisions would limit that travel to every few years.

Let me provide a pretty radical proposal. Splitting the Oklahoma and Arkansas schools of the GAC. Oklahoma schools form a new conference with NE Okla/OCU/etc. The Arkansas schools joint with DSU, Miss College, and UWA. Both conferences now are out of silo scheduling. All the Oklahoma schools are now much more competitive to be in the top of their conference and the Arkansas schools get better competition
            Passing is a Sin

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBones View Post

Let me provide a pretty radical proposal. Splitting the Oklahoma and Arkansas schools of the GAC. Oklahoma schools form a new conference with NE Okla/OCU/etc. The Arkansas schools joint with DSU, Miss College, and UWA. Both conferences now are out of silo scheduling. All the Oklahoma schools are now much more competitive to be in the top of their conference and the Arkansas schools get better competition
              Wasn't the Oklahoma State Legislature trying to get this to happen pretty recently? I thought that didn't end up going anywhere

Comment

Just curious, with a definite change of wind in the air for The GSC, what would the Valdosta State Fans like to see happen, especially with their football program?

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBones View Post
                  My understanding is that DSU would need to add a couple sports to be eligible for the GAC.

Of course, in one important aspect, DSU is unacceptably deficient to the GAC which should bar their addition.

We simply can't add the boring name of "statesmen" to a conference with Muleriders, Reddies, Wonder Boys, Boll Weevils, and Bison(s). They must formally change their name to the Fighting Okra before I would support their addition.
                  In all honesty, I'm for it. I wish we would change our official mascot to the Fightin' Okra. We're more known for our unofficial mascot than our official.

Comment

Originally posted by baldereagle View Post
                    If Delta leaves, I would prefer West Alabama comes along, regardless of the conference affiliation. We have played 70 games against each other since 1940. That is the most games Delta has played against any one opponent. West Alabama's football history page doesn't go back that far, but I have to assume 70 games played is up there with the most games played against an opponent.

- West Alabama = 70 games
                    * North Alabama = 61 games
                    - Mississippi College = 44 games
                    - Valdosta State = 43 games
                    * Troy University = 40 games

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X