Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingate vs. Argo's

This is going to be a close game. Both teams have a lot of injuries. I know a few starting players for West Florida are questionable. And from posts on here, it seems Wingate is also working thru injured players.

Wonder how "Dog" fans feel about taking this one. You only lost to a powerful Lenior/Rhyne 20-13, so they can hold there own. Should be a great game. Not the run-away. Like the last meeting.
    <>

Considering its week 12 I think Wingate is in decent shape as far as injuries. The most significant ones I am aware of are OL Connor Baroniunas who had a lower leg injury at Lenoir-Rhyne and DL Colton Beard who has been out since week four. Those are significant losses but Wingate is very deep at OL and DL so they've filled the gaps pretty well. Isaac Allen has stepped into the starting lineup since Beard went down and has been really good.

I think most people will favor West Florida in this game, which is understandable (I probably will too), but I think Wingate can win. West Florida is really good on defense but teams that had the most success against them were able to run the ball reasonably well. The Bulldogs have the OL and the backs to establish the run.

Comment

I think it going to be a great game. Nobody around the West Florida camp is thinking the score Saturday will look anything like it did a few years ago. In fact, it seems like the Argos are talking themselves into more of an underdog role than what they are actually probably in. I've heard a lot more references to how UWF was the big underdog story 2 years ago and I think people kind of want to play that role again. We'll see. Everyone in Pensacola expects the Argos to have a big challenge ahead of them this weekend. Rightfully so, Carson-Newman was the better team week 1. Hopefully UWF has improved a lot since then. Can't wait for Saturday!
      * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
      * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
      * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
      * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

One of the truest things I ever wrote for D2Football was two years ago when I said "I think West Florida can be a very dangerous team in the playoffs." Of course I didn't think they'd take it all way to Kansas City but I did think they could make noise and a lot people did not even expect them to be there. A lot of teams embrace the underdog role so I can see them wanting to be perceived that way.

Comment

The weather forecast calls for lots of rain, so this game is even more of tossup. The Argos played great against West Georgia earlier in season in a tropical storm by forcing turnovers and leaning on D and running game, so they know how to win in bad conditions without a passing game. This could be wild game with lots of turnovers that could go to either team depending on bounce of ball.

Comment

Originally posted by William Fisher Iv View Post
            The weather forecast calls for lots of rain, so this game is even more of tossup. The Argos played great against West Georgia earlier in season in a tropical storm by forcing turnovers and leaning on D and running game, so they know how to win in bad conditions without a passing game. This could be wild game with lots of turnovers that could go to either team depending on bounce of ball.
            Welcome the The Gate. No disrespect intended but we plan on winning.

Comment

Weather forecast trending better with less rain. This should make for better game without too many fluky turnovers.

Comment

If my memory about Wingate's field is right, it gets sloppy when it rains. But I've only been to one game there. I don't know many schools that play on real grass these days. Players go sliding around out of control when it is muddy and wet. could get hurrt easily. Uniforms get grass stains or mud on them that mess up training and locker rooms and stains won't come out.. High schools and even middle schools have turf in some cities. Maybe the NCAA will come up with a law requiring Turf.

Comment

I live in Charlotte, about 30 miles from the Wingate campus. It rained a bit over night and has been raining steadily this morning. Forecast has rain continuing all afternoon, so its going to be a wet, soggy game. Should be interesting.

Comment

Not overly surprised UWF won, but surprised it was so easy.

Comment

Me too. Thought Wingate might show up like last year against WGeorgia.

Comment

I thought Wingate would have a decent chance to establish the run but they never did. Giving up two TDs within two minutes of game time on both sides of the halftime break killed them. The INT and quick score in the third quarter killed any chance Wingate had. That was a shame. Game was over a minute into the third quarter.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X