Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSC or Chowan D2 - OOC Scheduling Options

I believe SAC schools should take a look at scheduling either GSC schools or Chowan as a part of their OOC schedules. Much better than pimping the football team to a higher division team for a paycheck and in most cases for a demoralizing beatdown for the players.

I know that every once a a while (but rarely) a D2 team will get a win, but over 95% of the time the team ends up getting spanked, and unfortunately some players occasionally get injured, again, so some AD can collect a check. There should be some potential liability issues with these games.

For the record Lenoir-Rhyne has not pimped itself out to a D1 team in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
      For the record Lenoir-Rhyne has not pimped itself out to a D1 team in recent years.
      Smart move these days when liability issues can come into play when a D2 program purposely puts players at risk for season (or lifelong) injuries by playing a higher division program (with almost twice as many scholarship players) in return for a paycheck.

If I were the parent of a potential recruit or a potential transfer player, and I found out that a team had purposely planned on playing their players in a 'paycheck' overmatched game against a higher division team, I believe I would then know that that program really didn't have their son's best long term interest (or safety) in mind. Times have changed, and the overall difference in the divisions have also changed quite a bit in recent years.

Comment

These paychecks aren't massive, especially compared to what FBS schools pay FCS schools for games. Also, what's the difference in Mars Hill playing ETSU or Limestone playing Gardner Webb as opposed to Charleston Southern playing Alabama for example? There is a bigger gap in talent, size, & depth in most of these FCS/FBS payday games than exists between D2 vs small FCS matchups.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Tailgating View Post
          These paychecks aren't massive, especially compared to what FBS schools pay FCS schools for games. Also, what's the difference in Mars Hill playing ETSU or Limestone playing Gardner Webb as opposed to Charleston Southern playing Alabama for example? There is a bigger gap in talent, size, & depth in most of these FCS/FBS payday games than exists between D2 vs small FCS matchups.
          The scholarship levels (and talent) for the D-1 FBS and D-1 FCS are a lot closer at 85 vs 63 (and most are fully funded) than a more than likely underfunded D2 / max 36 scholarship program, where partial scholarships are given, as opposed to D-1 full scholarships.

Do you really think that the Limestone players really enjoyed in any way being totally dominated (even with Gardner Web calling off the dogs early) in the game where the Bulldogs were easily up 42-7 in the first half, no matter what the paycheck amount was?

Also Mars Hill was helped by playing against ETSU's compassionate Coach Quarles after he called the dogs off early after totally dominating the uncompetitive Lions after going up 44-7.

Savannah State (back when they were D1-AA) used to pimp their team out to higher division teams on a regular basis until Oklahoma State smacked them around to the tune of 84-0, even after most of OSU's starters were pulled in the 1st quarter. I'm not really sure how many Savannah State players were carted off of the field that day, and how many suffered season ending injuries.

Fact is, these days, if a D2 school puts one of their student-athletes players in harms way for a paycheck, and the player is seriously injured, I really don't believe the paycheck will in any way cover the potential $$$$$$ liabilities a school could possibly face.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
            Savannah State (back when they were D1-AA) used to pimp their team out to higher division teams on a regular basis until Oklahoma State smacked them around to the tune of 84-0, even after most of OSU's starters were pulled in the 1st quarter. I'm not really sure how many Savannah State players were carted off of the field that day, and how many suffered season ending injuries.
            Not that this changes your point at all, but OSU was actually the first FBS team that Savannah State had ever played.

Comment

Not at all, their AD and or coach at that time continued to pimp out their team in humiliating games for some time. In the end, I heard that it ended up really hurting the program. Probably because a lot of players didn't want to play there.

Comment

The scholarship levels (and talent) for the D-1 FBS and D-1 FCS are a lot closer at 85 vs 63 (and most are fully funded) than a more than likely underfunded D2 / max 36 scholarship program, where partial scholarships are given, as opposed to D-1 full scholarships.

Do you really think that the Limestone players really enjoyed in any way being totally dominated (even with Gardner Web calling off the dogs early) in the game where the Bulldogs were easily up 42-7 in the first half, no matter what the paycheck amount was?

Also Mars Hill was helped by playing against ETSU's compassionate Coach Quarles after he called the dogs off early after totally dominating the uncompetitive Lions after going up 44-7.

Fact is, these days, if a D2 school puts one of their student-athletes players in harms way for a paycheck, and the player is seriously injured, I really don't believe the paycheck will in any way cover the potential $$$$$$ liabilities a school could possibly face.
                I think the GWU game helped us. After they got up 21-0 in the first, we played them even score wise the last 3 quarters and GWU didn't start subbing until the 4th.

Comment

You're incorrect about GWU waiting until the 4th quarter to start subbing.

You do realize that it was 42-7 at the half, and not only did the Bulldogs pull all of their starters out and played their reserves for the last 30 minuities of the game (check the recap), but their coach also had one of their backup QBs take a knee in easy scoring range with time and downs still available to play to help keep the spanking from leaving marks.

What happened in that game, and was clear for everyone to see, was that the Saints were outmanned and fully dominated against a far superiorly talented program in a higher division, with thousands of people watching. I believe the Division 2 Football branding was actually damaged on that day. I hope the small paycheck the school got was worth it.

Comment

I believe SAC schools should take a look at scheduling either GSC schools or Chowan as a part of their OOC schedules. Much better than pimping the football team to a higher division team for a paycheck and in most cases for a demoralizing beatdown for the players.

I know that every once a a while (but rarely) a D2 team will get a win, but over 95% of the time the team ends up getting spanked, and unfortunately some players occasionally get injured, again, so some AD can collect a check. There should be some potential liability issues with these games.
                    I understand where you are coming from; however, two of the most memorable games from my college days was in ‘83 when we (Newberry) beat Georgia Southern 27-24. Georgia Southern went on that year to win the Division I AA National Championship. We were their only defeat that year. Then in 1985, my Junior year, we beat Furman 24-21 with a 54 yard field goal. Two of my favorite memories from our time as an NAIA team.

Comment

Nice memories no doubt, but those games happened last century, and things have changed, even changed a lot since CN defeated Chattanooga over a decade ago.

These days, with so many people being sue happy in wanting to win the lawyer jackpot lottery, If I were an AD, there's no way I would take a chance. Moving forward, it wouldn't surprise me one bit o see lawyers in the stands of pimped out paycheck games.

Comment

Should be and could be liability are two different things. Should you? Probably not. But considering how little so many alums give back to their schools it's the only way some get money.

I've never heard of a greasy haired lawyer suing because a kid got hurt playing an
                        upper division school. They could get seriously injured in practice or playing an NAIA. should SAC schools not schedule GSC schools since they are so much better apparently either? maybe it was irresponsible for LR to play Ferris. Speaking to some players about it, they said they think it'd be pretty weak to sue. Suing for not honoring a scholarship or something yes.

Good topic though Eagle! thanks for bringing it up

Comment

You're incorrect about GWU waiting until the 4th quarter to start subbing.

You do realize that it was 42-7 at the half, and not only did the Bulldogs pull all of their starters out and played their reserves for the last 30 minuities of the game (check the recap), but their coach also had one of their backup QBs take a knee in easy scoring range with time and downs still available to play to help keep the spanking from leaving marks.

What happened in that game, and was clear for everyone to see, was that the Saints were outmanned and fully dominated against a far superiorly talented program in a higher division, with thousands of people watching. I believe the Division 2 Football branding was actually damaged on that day. I hope the small paycheck the school got was worth it.
                          I was at the game and know when their starters started coming out. Also, the kids were excited to play and all of the parents were too. No one was upset that their kid was being subjected to potential dangers or humiliation. I think it's a non-issue but that's my opinion and yours is different and I respect that. I don't believe we will be playing such a game next year, however but I would like to see us play W. GA & W. AL again, or N. Greenville since they're an in-state school.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X