Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

LOL, canadarian my support of Carson Newman goes back to the true days of glory for the football program, beginning in the latter days of Coach Sparks legacy as possibly the best head coach ever to lead a Division 2 program.
    I love Ken Sparks, but I can't imagine a time when someone would have thought he was the best D2 coach in history.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I love Ken Sparks, but I can't imagine a time when someone would have thought he was the best D2 coach in history.
      I couldn't say it out loud because I'm biased.... but I'm glad you did. Mel T then Sparks?

Comment

Wouldn't the argument be that Ken Sparks was the best NAIA coach of all time? I'm struggling to find his D2 championships ;)

(no disrespect to Coach Sparks, I have a lot of respect for him as a coach and as a man)

Comment

Originally posted by BEARS View Post
          Wouldn't the argument be that Ken Sparks was the best NAIA coach of all time? I'm struggling to find his D2 championships ;)

(no disrespect to Coach Sparks, I have a lot of respect for him as a coach and as a man)
          Coach Sparks always had the deal with the SAC's self-imposed handicap of reduced scholarship limits as compared to the majority of other NCAA Division 2 football conferences at the time. So he did more with less over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

I couldn't say it out loud because I'm biased.... but I'm glad you did. Mel T then Sparks?
            Three coaches have won three championships. Brian Kelly is also in consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Coach Sparks always had the deal with the SAC's self-imposed handicap of reduced scholarship limits as compared to the majority of other NCAA Division 2 football conferences at the time. So he did more with less over the years.
              This is true as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Three coaches have won three championships. Brian Kelly is also in consideration.
                I know Bobby Wallace is one....Dorrel? I forgot he won 3. That dude is still only 48.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                  LR pimped out their basketball team to Tennessee for fifty thousand and Louisville this year for money and LR beat Louisville.
                  The comparison between a SAC football team playing an FCS game which counts in the standings (though not in the D2 playoff rankings) is a little different from a D2 team playing a preseason exhibition against a D1 program. I don't think that college basketball teams necessarily do it for the paycheck, but for both teams to get some in-game experience before the regular season starts.

Now, if LR had played Louisville in the middle of both teams' conference schedules, I think you'd have a more reasonable comparison. PSAC schools would regularly play a pre-season exhibition against Pitt, Duquesne, etc. in order for both teams to get game ready for the regular season.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Chowan as a football only member could happen, but that would probably mean Barton was kept. SAC would then have 14 and could do away almost completely with OOC games.
                    Per the GSC message board, it appears that Chowan will announce a conference affiliation as early as tomorrow. ConfCar also has a press conference scheduled for 2pm EST tomorrow where they teased a big announcement on Twitter. It's very likely that ConfCar will be either begin sponsoring football as a stand-alone conference or possibly form a scheduling partnership with the GSC with their existing football programs (Barton, Chowan, Erskine, North Greenville and UNC Pembroke) similar to the ASUN-WAC scheme taking effect next season. That move alone affects at least three conferences (GAC, SAC and MEC) and, if rumors about Shorter leaving the GSC are true (the GSC posters seem to think that Shorter will end up in the SAC or even ConfCar), that might set up two six-team divisions (ConfCar + Shorter as one division; GSC - Delta State, Mississippi College, Valdosta, UWA, UWF and UWG - as the other).

Comment

I know Bobby Wallace is one....Dorrel? I forgot he won 3. That dude is still only 48.
                      Wallace, Dorrel and Mel Tjeersdma.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X