Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenoir Rhyne Spring Game

Beautiful day and a great atmosphere in Hickory today. The Bears had a rolling 3 squads against a rolling 3 squads of its nearly 80 to 85 players dressed out. It was hard to really see enough to judge much.
    However, to me and a few others I talked with, the QB picture is CLEAR. Number 17 was by far, and I do mean BY FAR, the most outstanding offensive player. At number 3 on the depth charter, I was told, this young man threw the ball on a rope time and again, put it on a dime, at least 3 long TD passes that were perfect, and several times made something out of nothing.

But I have no fear that he will remain on the sidelines, since this is this coaching staffs fourth year in the saddle and we still, based on what I saw, do not have a Power Running Back on the beautiful campus. It does appear that we have some people that can catch the ball if they just have the quarterback that can get it to them. Are they capable and willing to make the right decision on the QB position?

Defensive line and linebackers look pretty solid with Linebacker Extraordinaire John Ross Maye back to direct things. Not sure where we are in the kicking game. Just not sure.

Now the questions that I have rolling in my mind. Today we had around 85 players dressed and some that did not. Less call it 90, last years incoming group was + or minus 35, and we have announced signings of 38 incoming.

Where did the the junior and seniors go?
    What has been the plus/minus of the portal? If anything?
    What really outstanding incoming freshman are present? Suppose to be a really outstanding 6'3" linebacker out of Lincoln County. I am sure there are others but I do not know of them.

I really have my fingers crossed that this is the year the coaching staff proves they are worthy of long tenures between the bricks.

We haven't really had many juniors and seniors since the 2019 season. Jacobs has been filling the program with his kids since the very beginning - even if you look at the covid season we were starting a TON of freshman. This year's junior class is huge, my expectation is that they should be taking a big step up this season.

I wasn't at the spring game but would also love to hear about young players that really caught the eye. Definitely glad to hear about Jalen Ferguson (17).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
    Working...
    X