Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LR Returning 19 Starters

Coach Jacobs confined several things we had been speculating on in his preseason interview with FloSports. According to coach Jacobs, LR is returning all but two starting guards on offense and a safety on defense. To go along with that, he mentioned Sean White coming into the new season as the starting QB with freshman Khamoni Robinson fresh on his heels. A few thoughts on what we have returning at each position.

QB - there was speculation that the bears would bring in a veteran in the transfer window. Jacobs decided to go with those already in the system alongside the freshman Robinson (who I expect to take a redshirt). White was fine last season and seemed to grow as the year went on. He needs to add more improv into his game and prove that he is a dangerous threat as a passer in order to take pressure off McGee et al.

RB - LR is incredibly deep at RB. Dwayne McGee returns for his Junior season alongside Jadus Davis and Zyheir Dillard. I fully expect McGee to be back up over 1200 yards this year and another RB (probably Dillard) to eat up a ton of yardage in garbage time games. This is the deepest part of the team.

WR/TE - Kelin Parsons is a preseason all conference and TE Malik Simmons is nipping at the heels of the Newberry TE to be the top big man in the SAC. Lots of talent behind them at WR.

O Line - LR returns two preseason all SAC linemen (more than any other SAC team), but will have to replace the two starting guards.

D Line - Andre Jefferson is the best player on the team and possibly the best defensive player in the SAC. He’ll line up alongside guys like Zeke Nance and Toney Black. LR has shown the ability to consistently produce big time Dlines in the past decade and I fully expect them to be dominant up front.

LB - Percy King, JR Maye, Savage, and Hibbit have a ton of athleticism in the middle of the park. Maye should be on the watch list for SAC DPOY and could get national plaudits with a solid year this season. He’s that good.

Secondary - this is the weaker part of the defense during the past several seasons. C’Darius Kelly returns as an all conference performer. I don’t know enough about the group to comment, but I suspect they’ll be decent.

Overall this team has the talent to win the SAC and probably should win the SAC with all that they are bringing back. Possible stumbling blocks include a QB room which is solid but also not spectacular, Jacobs’ late game decision making (though i feel he’s learned from last season’s loss against Wingate), injuries, and a tendency to be too predictable in offensive play calling.

Thoughts/comments?

In the Spring game the clear best QB was Ferguson. Hands down, not even debatable.

I believe your recap of the rest of the team is pretty much spot on. To help the DB's Lynch kid from North Surry had a full ride offer/verbal acceptance with D1 Coastal Carolina until a coaching change unsettled that situation. He could be the star in the defensive backfield, however, if the LR Basketball Coaching staff has a brain at all, they would have him in the gym as soon as possible. He will be the best basketball player at LR the minute he steps foot on the campus.

Play calling has been one of the biggest problems for the Bears since the arrival of Jacobs and company. At times they have seemed to make progress in that area only to fall back within a series or two.

In my opinion, this is Jacobs and Company make or break year. I hope above hope that they succeed and grow to the level that was set forth at the announcement of his coming to Hickory. LR and its support community has been willing to provide all that was necessary to continue the movement to the national D2 stage that was rebuilt by Goldsmith, Houston and Cronic. Now, in my opinion, it is time for Jacobs and Company to show that they are able to match these expectations.

Comment

Did anyone go to the LR Scrimmage yesterday? I did not know about it. Any reviews or comments? Thanks.

Comment

I went to the scrimmage.
        When it was true 1s vs 1s the defense was ahead. JR Maye was all over the place making plays. The DB group was aggressive and really closed on the ball well. The defensive line controlled the line ,especially on runs between the tackles.
        None of the QBs really distinguished themselves throwing the ball. All of them seemed just a little off. The freshman QB is outstanding in running and escapability. He is definitely the future at the position.
        The deepest position group still is the running backs. All of them had moments. Jadus Davis was the most electric if I had to pick one out. Several fans sitting around me questioned why the fullback Hancock, is not more of the offense. Not as a ball carrier , but as a lead blocker. The plays he was in were all chunk plays over 8 or 9 yards. There were just not many of them.
        The recievers group had some drops. But inaccuracy and good coverage had a bit to do with that.
        Special teams seemed fine. Punt needs to shore up a bit. One was blocked and another was rushed. The kickers were good. Just need game experience.
        Overall the energy was good. Athleticism all over the field. Tighten up on some sloppy penalties and clean up the special teams things and it will be a great year for the Bears.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X