Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if I don’t know something… at least I look it up. Especially something as easy as how to spell someone’s name. That’s just common courtesy

Comment

I'm now thinking that you 2 should meet up at Shake-N-Dog and split a foot long 🌭. That could change the way y'all view things.

Comment

Eagle74 I'm starting to think you might just move to Hickory just to be close enough to get you a daily hot dog! You love that place hahaha But I don't think any amount of hotdogs or cold ones would change my opinion of LR's wanna be Jerry Jones haha
        Last edited by FootballCoach; 05-22-2024, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I'm fine with just occasionaly visiting from time to time. Their dogs are very good, but I'd balloon up eating them on a daily basis.
          Last edited by Eagle74; 05-22-2024, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Updated as of today...

Offers
            Jusean Parks - Newberry, Garden City (Juco), Concord
            Will Montgomery - Elizabeth City State, Fayetteville State, Concord, Winston Salem State
            Malachi Howell - Stetson

Committed
            Luke Gilbertson - Gardner Webb
            DJ Taylor - Western Illinois
            Jon Ross Maye - Utah State
            Xavier Jennings - Mercer
            C'Darius Kelley - Wake Forest
            Ryan Frans - Valdosta State
            Toney Black - Washburn
            Dwayne Mcgee - Mercer
            Kelin Parsons - Mercer
            Joel Hunt - Elizabeth City State
            Malachi Sumner - Virginia Union

no offers: Jeremiah Penick

Comment

So if McGee gets the offer, accepts and can not be admitted? where does he stand at this point? Going somewhere else or coming back to LR? Would LR be an option for him?
              So no one miss understands, I am just asking for information.

Comment

Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
                So if McGee gets the offer, accepts and can not be admitted? where does he stand at this point? Going somewhere else or coming back to LR? Would LR be an option for him?
                So no one miss understands, I am just asking for information.
                BearFan1 I often wonder the same thing for transfers who do not get the offers (if any) that they are looking for. Guys like Jeremiah Penick who do not have offers... Can he go back to LR?

I would assume it would depend on Coach Socha and whether or not he would allow him back on the team. Also, the scholarship dollars left for the RB position (if they signed a RB to replace him). Usually there is an understanding between Coach and transfer of a time frame that a player can be in the portal and be allowed to come back. Obviously exceptions can be made to this though. My understanding was that Knox had a very good spring and could have potentially passed up McGee while he was injured but I'm not sure if this is actually the case.

In the case of McGee, he posted a workout video on social media yesterday wearing Mercer gear so I would assume he is still going there. Mercer only requires a 2.5 to get into school as a transfer so I would assume McGee has that GPA (I would hope)... Only issue I could think of is what is called "progress towards degree". The NCAA requires student athletes to earn 24 credits per year to remain eligible. 18 of these must be during the Fall and Spring Semester. They can earn up to 6 during the summer if needed. Correct me if I am wrong but McGee is going into his 5th year of school. This would mean that he has to have 96 credits transfer to his new school (Mercer). That could be a BIG problem.

PS. I'm still waiting for your DM response. I really do want to check out the player you were talking about earlier!

Comment

Also, to add to that. Transfers used to not be bound to an NLI so they could decommit and go somewhere else all the way up until when they stepped foot on campus. The NCAA was working to change this rule but I could not find anything as to whether or not anything had actually passed.

Comment

Updated as of today...

Offers
                    Jusean Parks - Newberry, Garden City (Juco), Concord
                    Will Montgomery - Elizabeth City State, Fayetteville State, Concord, Winston Salem State

STILL no offers: Jeremiah Penick (not looking good)

Committed
                    Xavier Jennings - Mercer
                    Toney Black - Washburn
                    Dwayne Mcgee - Mercer
                    Kelin Parsons - Mercer
                    Malachi Howell - Chowan

Comment

Originally posted by FootballCoach View Post

BearFan1 I often wonder the same thing for transfers who do not get the offers (if any) that they are looking for. Guys like Jeremiah Penick who do not have offers... Can he go back to LR?

I would assume it would depend on Coach Socha and whether or not he would allow him back on the team. Also, the scholarship dollars left for the RB position (if they signed a RB to replace him). Usually there is an understanding between Coach and transfer of a time frame that a player can be in the portal and be allowed to come back. Obviously exceptions can be made to this though. My understanding was that Knox had a very good spring and could have potentially passed up McGee while he was injured but I'm not sure if this is actually the case.

In the case of McGee, he posted a workout video on social media yesterday wearing Mercer gear so I would assume he is still going there. Mercer only requires a 2.5 to get into school as a transfer so I would assume McGee has that GPA (I would hope)... Only issue I could think of is what is called "progress towards degree". The NCAA requires student athletes to earn 24 credits per year to remain eligible. 18 of these must be during the Fall and Spring Semester. They can earn up to 6 during the summer if needed. Correct me if I am wrong but McGee is going into his 5th year of school. This would mean that he has to have 96 credits transfer to his new school (Mercer). That could be a BIG problem.

PS. I'm still waiting for your DM response. I really do want to check out the player you were talking about earlier!
                      It depends on the school, staff, and situation. Some are ok with players testing the waters. Others tell them to Pound sand.

Comment

STILL no offers: Jeremiah Penick

Committed
                        Xavier Jennings - Mercer
                        Toney Black - Washburn
                        Dwayne Mcgee - Mercer
                        Kelin Parsons - Mercer
                        Malachi Howell - Chowan
                        Jusean Parks - Newberry
                        Will Montgomery - Winston Salem State

In my opinion I believe that some of these players helped themselves while others hurt themselves and their situation. With everyone being committed now (minus Penick) I am thinking of ranking these from best to worst moves

Comment

Not fully knowing each players particular situation, your ranking would be pretty much based on your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                            Not fully knowing each players particular situation, your ranking would be pretty much based on your opinion.
                            Absolutely. 100% opinion based on some information and facts that I am aware of haha

Comment

Also, Penick just received 3 offers in 24 hours. Davenport, Mississippi Valley State and Tiffin

Miquel Mason has also entered the portal and received an offer from Bluefield State. There is a RUMOR that several players have been removed from the team in the past week. Not sure if this is fact though so I will not say any names.

Comment

The below rankings are strictly my OPINION. Feel free to disagree and I honestly would love to hear your thoughts! Ranked 1-5. 5 Being the best. Reasoning stated after...

Jon Ross Maye - Utah State. (Helped 5/5). G5 school that I think he has the ability to start games at. They have not been the greatest recently but have been a consistent bowl team. They seem to have a good fan base with a great game day atmosphere. I think this is a great pick by Jon Ross!

C'Darius Kelley - Wake Forest. (Helped 5/5). Chance to play in the ACC... Why not?! Wake Forest was down last year but I think this gives him a better shot at becoming a starter. From what I have seen at LR games, C'Darius is a lock down corner at the D2 level. Will this carry over to a P4 school? I guess we will see! Regardless, this will be an amazing experience for this young man!

Malachi Sumner - Virginia Union. (Helped 5/5). I have spoken with Malachi since he entered the portal and he said he left for 3 reasons. 1. To go to a school that offered his grad school major. 2. To see life outside of Hickory (Hickory HS grad). 3. to have the opportunity to be THE GUY. I believe this choice gives him all 3 and also the ability to play for a championship contending program!

Dwayne McGee - Mercer. (Helped 4/5). Already knows the offense. Their starting RB graduated. Their 2nd leading rusher was the QB. I think he has a good chance of starting for Mercer at the FCS level which I think he can be productive at. Out of his choices, I think he made the right decision!

Xavier Jennings - Mercer. (Helped 4/5). I gave this a 4/5 because I don't understand turning down some of the G5 offers. Although Michigan State offers players 30K NIL just to be on the team, I don't think he is good enough to play there. I understand that one. G5? I think he could play and have a really cool experience. Xavier SHOULD start at Mercer. Their OL was awful, giving up 29 sacks last season. He will know the offense and should be an FCS starter. Good choice.

Kelin Parsons - Mercer. (Helped 4/5). Similar reasoning to McGee and Jennings. Top 2 WR's graduated. No one else had significant Receiving yards or catches. He already knows the offense so he SHOULD be able to come in and start at the FCS level.

Joel Hunt - ECSU. (Helped 3/5). Hunt got very little playing time while at LR. I believe he could see significant PT which is a win for him even if it is for a subpar team. I believe he also graduated from LR so he is continuing to get his masters degree paid for (probably more than he was at LR). Good choice. 3/5 only because they stink.

Ryan Frans - Valdosta State (Helped 3/5). This is a good decision only if he was not starting at LR. If he had earned a starting job at LR, then this is not a good move for him. Valdosta State's OL was their week spot last year and could never establish any kind of run game. I think he could earn a starting job there. If he does and was not starting at LR then this helps him. Valdosta State has a rich history and should continue to be a contender.

Will Montgomery - Winston Salem State (Helped 3/5). Similar reasons to Joel. Will never saw any meaningful playing time while at LR. Even though WSSU has been down, they are historically a good team and a well known HBCU. If he can get playing time here, I think this helps him.

Malachi Howell - Chowan. (Helped 3/5). Chowan stinks but I don't even remember seeing him on the sidelines and don't think I saw him at practice either when I stopped by. Was he even on the team this fall? Regardless of whether Chowan wins a game or not, at least this gives him a chance to play.

Luke Gilbertson - Gardner Webb. (Hurt 2/5). Did not play his first season at LR other than in garbage time and some special teams. I do not think he is good enough to play at GWU. I think he will be a career bench rider here on an average (yes I know they have won conference with the last staff) FCS team with worse facilities, location and game day experience.

Jusean Parks - Newberry. (Hurt 2/5). Same conference as LR but not as good of academics, facilities or football. I think Newberry will show progress this season but I do not believe they will be a contender as they have been in the past. I do not understand this move. It is a little closer to home and maybe he feels like he can play there. If he ends up starting then this could change my opinion.

Toney Black - Washburn. (Hurt 2/5). How does he even have eligibility? These covid years are wild haha Not sure why he would leave to go to Kansas to play for a bad football team. Makes no sense to me... Bad choice if he could have returned to LR.

DJ Taylor - Western Illinois. (Hurt 1/5). Probably the WORST decision I have seen. DJ had some decent choices with Alcorn State and Alabama A&M. Why he would choose to go to a program that is in the middle of no where Illinois, with worse facilities than LR, that hasn't had a winning record since 2017, I have no idea. Especially when he was one of the few players LR had on DL with playing experience. Have fun going 0-11 again!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X