Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midseason Thoughts

With six games down, we are a little past the halfway mark on the season. After having watched most of the games to this point, here are my quick, basic assessments of the top four teams in the current GAC standings. Feel free to chime on the thread and even add teams I didn't cover.

Ouachita
    After three key contests it's evident the Tigers have an improved defense from where they were the past three seasons. It is, like all OBU defenses, a highly opportunistic defense, but it is not a good one--i.e., can line up man-to-man and consistently stop opposing offenses without the assistance of turnovers, penalties and miscues. It required taking advantage of mistakes by SE, ATU and HU offenses to get the wins. It takes a good defense to make deep playoff runs in SR3. Teams that have to rely on being an opportunistic defense to get it done tend to either win one PO game or be one-and-done, because PO caliber offenses don't tend to just make mistakes left-and-right every week in the POs. The Tigers offense has struggled against two good defenses in SE and ATU, and was effectively shut down by a great defense in HU. Yes, I know Brazeal left the game injured after a couple of series against HU. Here's the key, while he was in there did he really get anything going? No, he didn't. In other words, I don't think (based on the admittedly small sample) anybody can conclude that OBU's offense would have fared any better if he had been able to play the whole game. While OBU is good at finding a way to win games in the GAC and can run the rest of the table, their type of defense combined with their offensive struggles do not lend themselves to the Tigers being a team that will make noise in the playoffs. I think they can win a game against a GLVC opponent, but not against MIAA or GLIAC squads.

Southern Arkansas
    The Muleriders have a defense, but their offense struggles either with quick starts or to maintain momentum. This is not a team on fire, it is a team playing with fire. SAU should have put away SWOSU early, instead they were in a fight until late in the third quarter when the Muleriders finally starting pulling away. Against NWOSU, SAU found themselves again in a fight with a team they didn't put away until late in the game. Then the Muleriders had a shootout with OKB, who actually had the lead midway through the third quarter, and SAU had to rely on late turnovers by SNU last week to escape with the win. The big issue with SAU's offense is that the passing game has taken a step back, even though they have improved in the run game. Currently, Karonce Higgins and Jared Lancaster have nearly half of all team receptions and account for little over half of all receiving touchdowns. The Muleriders just don't spread it around like they use to, and part of that appears to be a talent issue this year. The offense had better learn how to get momentum quickly and maintain it in games, because PO caliber defenses aren't going to give SAU's offense time to figure it out. SAU is another team that could run the rest of the table in the GAC. However, given the Muleriders are once again showing signs that indicate they may be fading as we head into the second half of the season, I'm not sure SAU will win out or finish with only one loss. Like OBU, SAU can make the playoffs, and could win a game if matched up against a GLVC team, but will not make any deep playoff runs given their current trajectory.

Harding
    The Bisons have a great defense. It is definitely a PO caliber defense. The reason they are 4-2, instead of 6-0 is their offense. Yes, they lead the nation in rushing offense, however, that stat is misleading to some degree. One of the things it does not account for is mistakes. In their game with SAU, two fumbles that led to scoop-and-scores, were the difference. In their game with OBU, a bad Center-QB exchange, an illegal motion penalty, and then missing an open receiver and throwing the ball away were the difference. The fact is, HU's offense has struggled early on for most of the season to date. The only games where the offense pulled it together early, without help from the defense or special teams, were against SNU and OKB. With their defense HU should be able to to win out, but I expect a couple of rough games with SE and ATU to end the season given the combination of those two squads having fairly good defenses and the Bisons offensive issues. I do think that HU could make the post-season but right now I believe their best bet is the Texarkana Bowl.

Southeastern Oklahoma
    The Savage Storm appears to have a good defense. The defense gave them a chance to beat both OKB and OBU. In fact SE was leading OBU 16-14 after three quarters. While their defense appears to be good, the fact is the Savage Storm have not yet been tested by the meat of their schedule. So why are the Savage Storm 4-2? Offensive inconsistency. SE has struggled to execute when they need to. Dropped passes, poorly thrown balls, and questionable decisions have killed drives. For example, against OKB late in the second half down by a couple of scores, several times WRs caught balls along the sidelines past the markers. Instead of running up the sideline, and then out-of-bounds once they got all they could without being tackled, they turned infield to try and make a play to get more yards--it also killed more clock. Against OBU they had four interceptions, two of them were passes that went right through the hands of the WRs. Having said all that, SE should be able to get to the seven-win mark. Whether or not they can do better will depend upon if they can get more consistency out of the offense.

Re: Midseason Thoughts

#1 in scoring defense in the country, but not a good one. Sounds about right. Can always count on Armo to say good things about Ouachita!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post
        #1 in scoring defense in the country, but not a good one. Sounds about right. Can always count on Armo to say good things about Ouachita!
        You're right OBU is the #1 scoring defense, OBU is also the #33 total defense. As I pointed out elsewhere in my post, stats can be misleading. I agree that turnovers are part of the game, so are penalties and miscues. Using this past week's game as example, can you honestly say that OBU stopped HU's offense? Both the fumble and the penalty cost HU potential game winning scores, neither was caused by the OBU defense, yet both will be reflected in the scoring defense stat.

Let me ask you this, do you think giving up 347 yards & 21 first downs to SE, 432 yards and 24 first downs to ATU, and 308 yards and 18 first downs to HU is actually lining up and stopping their offenses? I don't think it is. OBU stopped them because they took advantage of those three teams offensive mistakes. Yes, it's part of the game, however, PO caliber offenses don't tend to make mistakes left-and-right, week after week in the playoffs--otherwise they wouldn't make PO runs. As I've said before, typically it takes more than just being opportunistic to make deep playoff runs, it takes being able to line up and stop the opposing offense consistently without the aid of their mistakes.

As for SE & SAU, yes they have garnered more turnovers than OBU. However, both SE & SAU have also turned the ball over more times than OBU, which explains in part why they have given up more points on average than OBU. It also points to what I've been saying about OBU, they are a highly opportunistic team that makes opponents pay for their mistakes. The fact is OBU has turned being opportunistic into a fine art, which is a testament to the coaching that they are able to be consistently opportunistic year after year. However, being opportunistic is not the same as being good, i.e., able to line up and stop opposing offenses stonecold, without the assistance of the opposing teams' mistakes.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Also, how in the world would anyone know how our O would have performed had our starting QB not went down. Yes, early both Os were feeling each other out. But to say nothing would have been different is insane. Thats all speculation which means absolutely nothing.

Comment

My predictions: OBU will lose one game somewhere in the regular season but still win the GAC - not having a true QB is eventually going to bite you, not sure who it will be against, but with UAM, SAU and BOTR vs. HSU to end the year, all three of those teams have enough on offense to scare you.

SAU will lose two games. I think they lose to HSU and either SEOSU/OBU. Just a gut feeling. Until they prove they can run the table, I'm not betting on them, especially with the way they've looked the last two weeks.

SEOSU will lose at least one more game (HU) which will take them out of the running.

HU probably should run the table, but I don't see both SAU and OBU each losing twice, so it likely won't matter in terms of getting a share of the GAC title.

OBU will be in the playoffs if they don't lose two games. HU/SAU may have a shot depending on how everything shakes out in the region.

Comment

I'm most nervous about the SAU game at this point. Battle of the Ravine is #2 and would usually be my top pick for "gosh that could really go wrong" in most years but this Reddie squad isn't that great and mostly will have the rivalry angle fueling it. Henderson took care of business against Ouachita in years they were heavily favored so I think the reverse will still ring true there.

SAU has enough horses on offense to put a dent into our defense and then we're likely to be an instant out in the playoffs unless we get paired with a team that plays sloppy on offense. I'm hoping for a championship run but I don't think it's that realistic this go around!

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
                      I'm most nervous about the SAU game at this point. Battle of the Ravine is #2 and would usually be my top pick for "gosh that could really go wrong" in most years but this Reddie squad isn't that great and mostly will have the rivalry angle fueling it. Henderson took care of business against Ouachita in years they were heavily favored so I think the reverse will still ring true there.

SAU has enough horses on offense to put a dent into our defense and then we're likely to be an instant out in the playoffs unless we get paired with a team that plays sloppy on offense. I'm hoping for a championship run but I don't think it's that realistic this go around!
                      I think OBU could win in the first round, but yeah I don't see this being a championship team either. Doesn't mean they won't win the GAC and go undefeated in the regular season! Just too many other good schools in D2.

Comment

Comment

Yeah exactly; sometimes I'm not clear with my writing so to make it extra clear, I think SAU has a good shot at beating us

Comment

Yeah exactly; sometimes I'm not clear with my writing so to make it extra clear, I think SAU has a good shot at beating us

Comment

Botching chances is our specialty.
                              We are the blue and gold....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X