Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReddieMade's 2021 GAC Preseason Rankings and Thoughts

First things first: it's great to be back. I missed this last year like I'm sure everyone else did. Excited to be playing ball again this fall in the GAC.

I think the top half of the league has a chance to be as good as it has been in a while thanks to the COVID year. Everyone is gonna have a lot of third-year redshirt freshmen who are itching for action and some SUPER seasoned veterans. Coaching staffs should have had tons of time to implement their stuff on both sides, so I think you're gonna see some good football this fall and a very competitive league.

As always, this is just my opinion. Everything is "on paper" as of now.

1. Ouachita Baptist - So as not to seem biased, I'm going with OBU here. I can't disrespect what they've done recently and put them anywhere else as of now. They're riding a 27-game winning streak in the GAC and despite some losses, they're always tough and well-coached. I will say, I think this is the most "beatable" they've been in the last several years. Losing Freeman, Brazeal, Evans, Brown, Thomas, etc. is a lot of really good players. I have no doubt they'll have some good guys waiting in the wings, but I have to see those new pieces before I can anoint them with another GAC title. They're almost certainly going to be the preseason #1 by the league's coaches though, so I won't go against that.

2. Harding - On paper heading into the season they have a strong case to be #1. A lot veterans coming back on offense and despite some defensive departures, we know that unit is always salty. I will say, weeks 3-4 will tell the tale on HU. A trip to SAU and then OBU at home is a tough back-to-back early-season draw. If the Bisons get through that unscathed, they'll be unbeaten coming to the Reddies for HSU homecoming on Oct. 16. You want to play that triple-option offense early IMO because by the middle of the year it will be rolling and good luck stopping it. Chancey is a stud of all studs and they always have new faces step up on defense every year. They'll be right there for the title, per usual.

3. Henderson State - Obviously I could go on and on here, but I'll try to keep it short by saying I think HSU has a very real shot this fall and I think could have the highest ceiling of anyone in the league if everything clicks. Probably their best shot at winning it all since 2015 or 2016. Keep in mind, this team was 9-2 in the GAC in 2019 with a 1-point loss to HU on the road and a 24-21 loss to OBU in a game they led with less than a minute left. Offense should be the immediate strength with almost everyone coming back, the most notable being Curry at WR. WR, OL, RB, TE groups are all very deep and should be strong. Replacing Stammetti at QB is the biggest challenge on that side, but from what I hear the coaches feel very comfortable there and have two good options. That being said, you never know until a new QB gets out there. Defense lost some very experienced pieces and will need some new faces to step up, but ultimately the Reddies have too much talent and upside to drop any lower than this. Like always, SAU in week 4 and HU in week 7 will tell the tale. GAC title could come down to the BOTR once again. At UAM in week 3 and at OKBU the week before BOTR both scare me as trap games.

4. Southern Arkansas - New staff in Magnolia, but the Muleriders are a Top-4 preseason team based on talent alone. Tough early schedule with HU and HSU back-to-back weeks, but I expect SAU to be in the mix as always.

5. Oklahoma Baptist - Lots of people coming back, including the QB Haire who is probably the best returning signal-caller in the league. Cornell the WR is a stud. Defense will be the question mark for them as always, but if they can improve there, this could be the year they make a jump.

6. UAM - I almost put them 5th but OKBU just had so much coming back. UAM is tough and gritty -- no one really wants to play UAM. I like their young QB a lot and with two years of time to prep him, my guess is he'll look really good in that offense. Another team that could surprise people and jump up into that lead group after 3-4 weeks.

7. Arkansas Tech - You just feel like at some point they're going to put it all together, but until they do, I can't put them any higher than this. The perennial "should be better than they are" squad, I think they are at the top of the list in terms of teams that may benefit from the long break. Like always, I expect them to have talent. It will be interesting to see how they look this season. They're very much an unknown to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they were really good and I also wouldn't be surprised if they're 4-7.

8. East Central - While I don't draw huge conclusions from the spring season, what they did certainly highlighted that they should be improved. New staff seems to be doing a good job of bringing in talent. How will an impressive spring translate to real games in the fall? I think everyone in the league has an eye on them now, which I don't think you could say back in 2019.

9. Southeastern Oklahoma State - 2019 was a rough year for them and they were completely derailed by injuries, but this has been by far the most successful Oklahoma program since the GAC was formed. I don't expect them to be world-beaters, but I think they'll be better and more competitive than they were as cellar dwellers in 2019.

10. NWOSU - Nobody likes to play in Alva and they always seem to surprise some people. Not sure what the talent level looks like out there, but they can be a trap game for just about everyone.

11. SWOSU - I just don't see much of an identity when I look at the Bulldogs. They've gone 3-8 in 2017, 2018, and 2019, and I can't say I expect a whole lot more than that this fall from SWOSU. I think that staff could be in trouble with another season like that.

12. SNU - I think SNU has improved a pretty good deal these last several years, but I still can't put them anywhere but here. Could jump up and bite someone, but when 3-8 classifies as a great season for you, you're getting ranked 12th.

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to disagree. Excited to be talking about it again and can't wait for a great 2021 season!

Comment

"While I don't draw huge conclusions from the spring season"

That is really all you have to draw conclusions, the most recent competition. If you paid attention to this spring at all, I think your Rankings would be a little different. If you went off of previous seasons, ATU should be under ECU. ECU beat them in 18 and 19. And why is SAU so high? Completely new staff that is unproven.

Comment

Originally posted by ONCEATIGER25 View Post
        "While I don't draw huge conclusions from the spring season"

That is really all you have to draw conclusions, the most recent competition. If you paid attention to this spring at all, I think your Rankings would be a little different. If you went off of previous seasons, ATU should be under ECU. ECU beat them in 18 and 19. And why is SAU so high? Completely new staff that is unproven.
        The Tarleton State win was a fun moment for you guys, but if you take your orange glasses off you went 2-0 (with one win being 35-28 over SNU) in a spring season. Sorry, I'm not ready to crown you as "arrived" after basically one good spring football victory. Especially considering you are 9-35 in the GAC since 2017. I think me saying you'll be much improved based off the spring is about as much of a compliment as you can hope for.

SAU blurb literally says, "They have too much talent to be lower than this."

As far as ATU goes, sorry, I just assume ATU will be better than ECU in football 95% of the time. Again, 9-35 since 2016. That's tough.

Comment

That Tarleton team had more talent than anyone in the GAC. SO with ECU beating them, I think you should put them higher. We will all see this fall how good everyone is. Im sure top to bottom it is way more competitive. I think no team will go undefeated, everyone will beat up on each other.

Comment

You never know what you're going to get with my Bulldogs. I agree with you in that we don't have an identity. It's sad. But the talent this year will be there yet again to put some teams on upset alert, but I will be pleasantly shocked if the Dawgs get more than 4 wins this fall. if its less than 4, it's not going to be good.

Comment

Comment

I think ECU right now is kind of like Mississippi State in the SEC. They have talent, but also need to prove a ton. Should be a much better year for them if I had to wager than most years.

Comment

ReddieMade, given what we collectively know, I think you're about as spot on as anybody can be this preseason.

Just a couple of thoughts on your post.

First, SAU's HC did retain the DC and the O-line coach, both were good moves in my opinion. So, it's not an entirely new staff. Also, the offensive scheme the new SAU HC ran at Pueblo, I don't think he really had the skill position athletes to run it well, but I do think he has them at SAU. I for one, will be interested to see how it pans out for the Muleriders.

Second, just for the sake of discussion, while I agree Preston Haire is one of the premier returning QBs in the GAC, I think Demilon Brown can also make a legitmate claim for the top returning QB. Here are the stats for each from 2019:

Haire: 3041 passing yards & 26 TDs, 542 rushing yards & 7 TDs

Brown: 1059 passing yards & 9 TDs, 803 rushing yards & 5 TDs

While Brown's numbers look a bit paltry in the passing game compared to Haire, I think we need to remember a few caveats:
                  1) Brown only started 7 games versus Haire's 11.
                  2) Haire had a much better supporting cast on offense than Brown, especially in the WR corps in 2019.
                  3) Brown was a true freshman in 2019, Haire was a junior.

Again, just some food for thought and banter.

ONCEATIGER25, I agree that ECU has definitely improved and I don't think they will be a pushover this year. However, I would caution against using that game against Tarleton as a gauge. Yes, ECU won 21-14, but ECU should have won 26-7. The fact that Tarleton blocked two 'give me' FG attempts, and ran one of them back for a TD accounting for half their points, should be some cause for concern. If the Tigers allow that sort of thing to happen week one against HU, the Bisons will bury them. And if they do that against Ouachita, I guarantee you that will be a quick 14 points for the Tigers of Arkadelphia.

Having said all that, based upon what I saw in the Spring, I could see the ECU Tigers getting 5-6 wins.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Harding will have two senior QBs returning, Paden and Wilcke. Neither have break away speed like our QB in 2016-17 but will be efficient in running the Flexbone which usually requires more than one QB to make it through the season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X