Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

In reality, every team, middle school up, knows how to beat option teams. Discipline and execution. When we played Triple Option teams (poorly), we always tackled the dive, the qb, and pitch. Whether they had the ball or not. Conceptually, not hard, but if you miss that tackle, your team doesn't have athletes, or you don't team tackle, it can go way south.
    You really meant to say “in theory.” Because in reality everyone thinks they know how to stop the triple option until it comes time to actually do it. Just like everyone knows how to stop the RPO or the air raid or you name it. I’m surprised Harding is able to win a single game with how easy it is to defend. NWMS and Ouachita excluded.

“it’s super easy guys, all you have to do is read the offensive scheme, execute your defensive assignments, make adjustments as necessary, and tackle the guy with the football before they get too far down the field!”

Comment

Originally posted by codeblack View Post

You really meant to say “in theory.” Because in reality everyone thinks they know how to stop the triple option until it comes time to actually do it. Just like everyone knows how to stop the RPO or the air raid or you name it. I’m surprised Harding is able to win a single game with how easy it is to defend. NWMS and Ouachita excluded.

“it’s super easy guys, all you have to do is read the offensive scheme, execute your defensive assignments, make adjustments as necessary, and tackle the guy with the football before they get too far down the field!”

first you have to correctly identify the offense and call it what it is. multiple formation double wing. theres a reason why double wing....scuse me "triple option" teams rarely exist in D1 football. because it's fairly easy to defend. with the right defensive attack.
      Last edited by jimbo slice; 11-30-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I really enjoyed your post, Jimbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          I really enjoyed your post, Jimbo.
          thanks man. i have a good one every once in a while. As a fan of the team that practically invented the triple option in the early 1970s and won 3 national champions running it, i felt it my duty to straighten out the names of the two offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

thanks man. i have a good one every once in a while. As a fan of the team that practically invented the triple option in the early 1970s and won 3 national champions running it, i felt it my duty to straighten out the names of the two offenses.
            thank you for your service

Comment

Originally posted by codeblack View Post

thank you for your service
              as they say at chick fila.... my pleasure

Comment

Who's Frank?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

first you have to correctly identify the offense and call it what it is. multiple formation double wing. theres a reason why double wing....scuse me "triple option" teams rarely exist in D1 football. because it's fairly easy to defend. with the right defensive attack.

It rarely exists because coaches can only coach what they know. Nobody has run true triple since Georgia tech and we see how far they’ve fallen since they stopped. Coaches are arrogant and always think their way is the best way. Also, everybody is running inside zone with RPOs now which is just veer triple.

and Harding runs flexbone. There’s only 2 formations. So it’s not “multiple formation double wing”

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post
                    After several years of watching Ouachita not get it done come PO time, here are my thoughts as to why Ouachita Baptist is 1-5 in the POs and will not likely have success in the playoffs anytime soon...

1) Portrayed Mentality/Outlook. Todd Knight said in an interview on Inside D2 Football show earlier this season that he believes National Championships come by winning Conference Championships first. That is demonstrably untrue because TAMUC in '17 & UWF in '19 won national titles, but did not win conference titles. Frankly, that kind of talk sounds like a team that in more interested in conference titles than national titles, or in other words is just happy to be in the playoffs as opposed to wanting to be a serious contender. Not a good look. HC shouldn't be talking about GAC titles when asked about what his team needs to do to improve their PO performance. He should be talking about what he's going to do to take that next step towards being a PO contender.

2) De facto Defensive Philosophy. The whole Bend-but-don't-break + Opportunistic style D doesn't work well in the POs, especially SR3, when combined with a Power Running O. Those kinds of defenses only work well in POs if a team is running a Spread, RPO, Air Raid+, etc., type offense. Also, during the regular season these kinds of defenses when used in a silo schedule can look like a dominating D when it is playing familiar weaker teams in conference play. Either Ouachita needs to change how they approach D or they need to change how they approach O.

3) Familiarity/Lack of Familiarity with opponents. As for regular season, because the GAC plays in a silo-schedule, i.e., the same 11 teams every year, Ouachita knows those teams tendencies very well. However, after compiling a 1-5 record, it is pretty clear that the Tigers struggle to prepare for teams they don’t see year-in & year-out. A couple of non-conference games against quality opponents every year would probably go a good ways towards helping to fix that problem.

4) Recruitment. Two-thirds (2/3rds) to Three-fourths (3/4ths) of every signing class for Ouachita comes from Arkansas. Arkansas has some great high school talent, but it doesn’t have enough talent to field a D2 PO-caliber D by using mostly Arkansas recruits, it just doesn't. I realize there may be a financial reason behind why Ouachita recruits this way, but at some point you either have to find a way to get it done or admit defeat and stop pretending to be a PO contender.

Okay, melt down by certain Ouachita fans is about to commence in T-minus 10 and counting...

P.S. feel free to agree/disagree in a civil manner.

P.S.S. if you act like a snowflake or cupcake, I'm gonna treat you like one.
                    I agree with the main concept, but think you may be reading too much into the statement. Almost all coaches talk about conf.champ being one of their goals.

Strongly agree with number 3.

Agree with number 4. I see 4 being the cause of 2, tbh. The problem with the defense appears to be more about personnel than philosophy, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Assassin View Post

and Harding runs flexbone. There’s only 2 formations. So it’s not “multiple formation double wing”
                      I've used the DW playbook for almost 18 years now. call it what you want. there are wings. USUALLY one either side of the formation. hence, double wing. formation as old as time. fluff it up and make it yours i suppose. both of my sons were recruited for Oline at Harding. I've seen the offense in person. I'm not some dude on a message board just arguing semantics.
                      i can send you exact replicas of your "flex bone plays" in a "double tight double wing" playbook. the local high school coach here has it running from 2nd grade football all the way to high school varsity. in fact, if you are a Harding fan, you would know several of our assistant coaches here.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I agree with the main concept, but think you may be reading too much into the statement. Almost all coaches talk about conf.champ being one of their goals.

Strongly agree with number 3.

Agree with number 4. I see 4 being the cause of 2, tbh. The problem with the defense appears to be more about personnel than philosophy, imo.
                        watching that OU vs. NWM game on line, i was shocked at how little the OU dline did against NW Oline. they weren't quick or physical. and just got out hustled and out played. i think that's a sign of inbreeding. not in THAT sense because its arkansas or anything lol.

its from a standpoint of only having to be good enough to beat everyone in the GAC. if you aren't facing competition that is kicking your ass every week, your only has to be good enough to win. they basing their accomplishments on who they've faced. not who they could face. i always tell mine not to be the best on the team. be the best in your district and when you are him, be the best in the state and so forth and so on. when you are content with being the best in the GAC and thats it, your gonna get your sh*t pushed in on a national broadcast.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X