Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAC Stadium Update Discussion

Let’s talk about GAC Football Stadiums. Bear with me for an introduction to this post.

In another post Divisiontwo noted that additional seating was bringing brought in for the upcoming Harding vs Ouachita game in Searcy. Another poster mentioned that they were surprised that with the ongoing success of HU football that renovations had not already occurred, which sparked the comment that renovations have occurred and plans remain for more updates. Harding has built a new track and field only venue which allowed for the moving of the stands closer to the football field. From the games I have watched on Harding’s TV Channel and on the internet it is really an improvement. Can’t see much about the press box, concessions or entrances but the field layout, video boards, brick wall and overall updates looks great.

I’ve seen games in all of the current Arkansas stadiums along with NE, NW, SE, SW and EC Oklahoma football stadiums. In the 1980’s I did play by play for KAPZ-KKSY Radio in Searcy. Also while working for HU in the 80’s and 90’s I was friends with the sponsor of the cheerleaders; I was asked to drive them to the away football games (hey, somebody had to do it and I was the lucky one chosen!) As such I saw a lot of stadiums. Some stadiums and fields were updated versions of high school stadiums with bigger press boxes but some had more content and quality to them. I know that Ouachita and Henderson had some of the best stadiums and facilities and Arkansas Tech was very good as well.

Over the years I am sure there has been much renovations to the stadiums within the current GAC. What are your thoughts on about facilities you have visited in the GAC? What impressed you about a stadium or field. What suggestions might you make? If you were to grade them on a letter grade, how would you rate them? Be kind and if a stadium absolutely is abhorrent to you, choose to not include them in the comments. This is a post to praise, not to diminish our friends. Could be an interesting discussion if we work it right.

I would love to see more give and take within the GAC Forum so here I am, opening up to some ideas for getting more traffic along and among the D2 Forum site. I have also been to fields in the Gulf South, the MIAA and others. If you have been to other stadiums and want to add some thoughts about what impressed you about them, please add your thoughts.

Let the comments fly! Look forward to reading them.

A little biased, but the bowl setting at HSU is a great venue. Wish the press box was newer, but the Reddies have a great scene and can really put a ton of people in there. Can easily seat 15,000+ for a BOTR once people start sitting on the hill.

Ouachita has a phenomenal press box and very nice home side seating area.

Harding’s whole setup is very nice and I know they’re in the process of making it even better. The Indoor facility looming behind the stadium gives a big-time feel when you first arrive. They paid a lot of money to remove the track and move the stands closer to the field as well.

NWOSU press box is surprisingly phenomenal. Two levels and very nice.

Tech has a nice facility across the board.

In no particular order, HSU, OBU, Harding, Tech are by far the best overall football facilities/venues in the GAC in my opinion and I’ve seen them all.

Comment

ReddieMade, I know that bowl setting is nice. My high school stadium was also a bowl and it was awesome to see the light towers rising from the ground but not see the field until you walk up closer. Then you walk up and then look down into the bowl and it is impressive. I have seen several games at the HSU bowl and I bet a filled to capicity stadium for the BOTR is an experience. By the way, my high school stadium did not see many wins for us in my years there, but a couple of years later they did, and win aplenty. Some guy named Emmitt Smith helped change the football experience there; ever heard of him? (smirk and smile...of course we have!)

I concur with your listing of the four stadiums. I was impressed with my first time visiting at Tech for a Harding Academy high school game. I think if was a playoff game with Tech being the neutral site. Very nice field and seating area. HSU and Tech both had better looking and better feel to them when I first visited them; being more of a college experience than what I saw my first visit to HU and OBU fields. Nice but just a bit up from a large high school stadium. I know OBU has upped the conditions in the years since and have had lots of compliments since those early days. You are right about Hardings indoor facility giving a big time feel to the football experience. It is a nice addition.

There is a chat over on the MIAA site about a group out of Austraila that is filming and rating the various stadiums of the world. They have been doing the stadiums of D2 and hopefully will one day visit the GAC and post their reports.

Thanks for posting. Would love to hear from our Oklahoma friends about their stadiums and what they enjoy and what might some plans for the future.

Comment

Been to a lot, but not all traveling to call games. I’ve been to all but Southern Arkansas, Ouachita and Tech.

Harding is great. Awesome facility all the way around. Henderson is good too. Press box could use work, like AC in the visiting radio booth! ;) Monticello is a great spot on campus but needs some work.

All the Oklahoma ones are honestly about the same. Northwestern’s press box is really nice and they’ve got a cool set up with the hill in one end zone that allows tailgating viewing of the game. SWOSU, ECU and SEOSU are all about the same. Solid stands/set up, aging press box. OBU has some grand plans for a bigger stadium in the future, but there’s a lot of money to be raised and no idea if that’s gonna happen. They built the stadium on the cheap the first go round. SNU is honestly fine. Wish the area around it wasn’t gravel, but it’s a fine stadium and press box. Only inconvenience is no concessions on visitor side but that’s it, really.

Comment

In addition to Harding, I’ve only been to six other GAC stadiums in recent years: Ouachita, Henderson, SAU, SEOSU, ECU and SNU. Not sure about seating capacities. Henderson’s feels like the largest to me.Harding really packs theirs for Homecoming and the Ouachita game. I live in Texas where some high school stadiums are nicer and larger than most D2, and some D1, stadiums. I like the improvements Harding has made to their facilities. Removing the track, moving the visitors stands closer and the new Huckeba Indoor facility, the new screening wall and scoreboard on the east end of the field are significant upgrades. I wish I were a rich man. I’d give the money for a new press box and expansion of the home stands. Of the seven I’ve mentioned I’d rate them: Henderson, OBU, Harding, SNU (because of newest), ECu, SAU and SEOSU (seems really old).

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be major renovations at ECU's stadium. I believe the visitor side is a state landmark and cannot be touched, and I think the next thing that needs to happen there is new turf. It's over a decade old, and a new surface would make the older stadium look a little nice. I really enjoy the experience on game day, but yeah... just old. Ha!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X