Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know the year that picture was published?

I agree that Wayne really dropped the ball by not staying in the MAC and they unfortunately had a succession of presidents from around the mid fifties to maybe the late 90's that either out-right hated sports or thought college sports should be de-emphasized (hence, the decision to join the PAC). Irvin Reid was the 1st president I remember that was athletics freindly.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAllendale616 View Post
      Not a knock on you, but I gotta disagree about Wayne. I played high school football at Wayne (it was our home stadium) and the majority of the team thought the facilities were kinda crappy. The field itself was nice but the area under the stands was real bad, and the seating setup was nothing to write home about. Fine stadium, good for a game, good for d2, but not the best in the GLIAC to me.

Of the stadiums I've been to, I'd rank them:
      1. GVSU (obviously some bias, but has the best atmosphere and a very big school feel/)
      2. SVSU - (nice stadium, reminded me of a smaller Lubbers. Plus I'm a sucker for hillside seating)
      3. NMU - (reminded me of Wayne St. but with a better atmosphere. Could use some work but overall a very cool very unique atmosphere)
      4. Wayne St - (Similar to NMU. Good for a game, pretty basic, would be a lot better if they sunk some money into upgrading the seating and under the bleachers)
      5. Northwood - (Small stadium, good atmosphere)
      6. Davenport - (I honestly hardly remember their stadium. Seemed like a glorified high school stadium)
      7. MTU - (See above, but it was cold as ****. Houghton is a cool town though.)

GVSU (obviously some bias, but has the best atmosphere and a very big school feel/)
      Have to say Ferris State has enjoyed every visit and the last 7 years!

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
        Do you know the year that picture was published?

I agree that Wayne really dropped the ball by not staying in the MAC and they unfortunately had a succession of presidents from around the mid fifties to maybe the late 90's that either out-right hated sports or thought college sports should be de-emphasized (hence, the decision to join the PAC). Irvin Reid was the 1st president I remember that was athletics freindly.
        I had copied and framed it to use as decoration out of my game program collection I'd been building; I think that it came from a 66, 67, or 68 program.

Part of the problem too was that we had barely any facilities and what I can only assume to be unwillingness or inability to fix that issue during the post-WWII growth of the university. The PAC move impacted the basketball team the most, which had just made the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament when there were no division splits.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X