• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne State should move down

Comment

• Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
      Wayne State should move down
      I agree. Especially for football Wayne State would be better off at the DIII level.

It would be nice if there was a football only no-scholarship conference in D2 similar to the Pioneer Conference in FCS. That would also be a good fit for WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
        Wayne State should move down
        Absolutely not. The people that care about this program need to push the administration to do better with football, not tuck tail and run away.

While I share our frustrations with football, on the whole, the department is competing well. Wayne State has had its top 18 all-time NACDA Director's Cup finishes in the last 18 years, and has finished in the 83rd percentile or better in 15 of those seasons, including 11 years in the top 10 percent of all Division II institutions. In the last ranking from 2018-2019, we were #32. In the GLIAC only GV and Ashland finished higher. Also, I highly doubt we build a new 3,000 seat basketball arena just to go play Albion.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post

Absolutely not. The people that care about this program need to push the administration to do better with football, not tuck tail and run away.

While I share our frustrations with football, on the whole, the department is competing well. Wayne State has had its top 18 all-time NACDA Director's Cup finishes in the last 18 years, and has finished in the 83rd percentile or better in 15 of those seasons, including 11 years in the top 10 percent of all Division II institutions. In the last ranking from 2018-2019, we were #32. In the GLIAC only GV and Ashland finished higher. Also, I highly doubt we build a new 3,000 seat basketball arena just to go play Albion.
          Over all WSU has done well in athletics while still keeping a decent balance to academic success...Football may be off the tracks but other sports are doing just fine...and the arena that the Pistons are paying for is a really nice addition to the school.

Comment

• Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post

I agree. Especially for football Wayne State would be better off at the DIII level.

It would be nice if there was a football only no-scholarship conference in D2 similar to the Pioneer Conference in FCS. That would also be a good fit for WSU.
            Just because WSU football struggles every other season doesn't mean the program should move down....Wayne is still better than half of the other programs in the conference in regards to football. Might not have been the case in 2021 but overall they are. Mark my words, Wayne will go 7-4 or better next year...the frustration from me stems from the fact Wayne can not seem to find consistent success and/or sustained success

Comment

• Originally posted by NewEraWarrior View Post

Wayne is still better than half of the other programs in the conference in regards to football. Might not have been the case in 2021 but overall they are.
              Just for the record, Winters has a winning record against only two GLIAC teams in his coaching career, Davenport and Northwood. He is .500 against NMU. Since Northwood is leaving the conference Winters' teams have a losing record against 4 of the 6 remaining teams.

Comment

• Adding on to Stateman's point, Paul's post-2011 record against the 2022 GLIAC is 13-30 (.302). The breakdown is 1-4, 0-5, 0-3, 1-2, 1-2, 4-2, 0-6, 5-1, and 1-5.

4 wins vs NMU (4-4), 3 vs SVSU (3-5), 3 vs Davenport (3-1), 2 vs Tech (2-6), and our "Super Bowl" (sarcasm) vs GVSU (1-8). Paul also managed to squander a huge winning record we had going against Tech. It's much closer now.

Comment

• Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post

Paul also managed to squander a huge winning record we had going against Tech. It's much closer now.
                  It gets me that MTU which almost dropped football several years ago manages to consistently beat Wayne State. Another indicator of the "enigma" of WSU football.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X