X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
    GV Retired Bum, have to disagree - the D is very good - the front 7 is very good - what you witnessed Saturday was an outstanding athlete make outstanding plays - the best athlete on the field - yes, the dogs qb is an outstanding athlete and he is the one that beat us - not withstanding the two turnovers, we score in those two situations and GV wins - but we didn't, we made the mistake (pass underthrown, fumble) and that allowed the dog qb's athleticism to beat us - and I agree our db's needed to make a few plays too but their qb was able to scramble, run, and throw and put our db's in that position - we had multiple times the d-line was in on him, they overpowered the dog o-line - but the qb escaped and ran or made the throw - we are all disappointed but we will win out and possibly have another chance in the PO's - IMHO
    Im confused on how you see that though? The DBs are clearly the weak point of the entire team, the Linebackers are very very good and the D-Line cant get a sack or even hit the QB to save their lives. Our interior guys do a good job at stopping the run because 1. The scheme, they have the Dline playing run only damn near. 2. Because Dennis and Seth are really good.

Again, our defense is good. They will do a great job at holding inferior opponents under 30. But time and time again in the most crucial moments they fold. They fold every time. The best defenses eventually come up big in those moments and at least gives the offense a chance to win it. I get its easy to say the offense is always the problem because they have the ability to turn it over. All of those 3rd and longs and the last to drives are just as detrimental to the game as two redzone turnovers.

Leave a comment:

• DawgUp
    replied
    Bum, thank you for being a voice of reason. I didn't even want to respond to all the crying I've been hearing about this game and how all of a sudden we need "instant replay" as if that was the reason GV lost.

You hit the nail on the head. You can't claim your defense is NC caliber and can't get off the field on 3rd and 20+ multiple times. The DBs looked average at best against our WRs and our #1 WR was doing kicking duty all game, too hurt to play offense. Everyone is pointing to how GV outgained Ferris in yds...lol If you recall we had 2 bad snaps that went past our QBs head. That resulted in 43yds lost rushing. You take 1 of those away and we out gain GV in total yds.

IMO, part of the reason this game was even close was the crowd. They heavily impacted this game from a communication standpoint. Kudos to them. The defense that was played was similar to what GV did in 2019 and to what NWood played against us this year. We torched both of them (over 500yds passing against NWood and over 370 rushing against GV in 2019). The difference this game was we couldn't do any checks at the line because it was so loud. So if we called an inside zone run and GV had 9 stacked in the box, instead of checking to an RPO or deep pass, we just ran the zone play into a defense where we were completely out numbered. Also a ton of our offense is run off of motion based on cadence and timing. If a slot wr can't hear the qb, it will completely throw the play off. That's not to say that GVs defense didn't play a good game and have a good plan, but the way everyone was talking, I was expecting GV to line up in their base defense and just physically dominate us at the line of scrimmage. That was not the case.

Bum I do take issue with your reference of our 2019 QB Travis Russell as very below average. Not as physical...maybe..but he was a gamer. Always performed when called upon as a starter and a back up. Showed up big against some quality playoff teams for multiple years.

End of the day..Great win for the Dawgs in an hostile environment. Refs were horrible but they were horrible on both sides. For the rest of you Allendalers, there's no one to blame, and it's ok. You just got beat by a better team with a better coach.

As for the fumble...it was a fumble. And if there was replay, the call would have stood. Stop the whining. Send it to Dean Blandino.

Go Dawgs!

Leave a comment:

• BillyGV
    replied
    GV Retired Bum, have to disagree - the D is very good - the front 7 is very good - what you witnessed Saturday was an outstanding athlete make outstanding plays - the best athlete on the field - yes, the dogs qb is an outstanding athlete and he is the one that beat us - not withstanding the two turnovers, we score in those two situations and GV wins - but we didn't, we made the mistake (pass underthrown, fumble) and that allowed the dog qb's athleticism to beat us - and I agree our db's needed to make a few plays too but their qb was able to scramble, run, and throw and put our db's in that position - we had multiple times the d-line was in on him, they overpowered the dog o-line - but the qb escaped and ran or made the throw - we are all disappointed but we will win out and possibly have another chance in the PO's - IMHO

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    Wanted to wait a couple of days to comment on this game. I think most of your guys comments are spot on and are fair assessments of what went down Saturday night. The OC called a great game for GV but the guys either didn't execute or turned it over inside the 5 yard line TWICE. I think we should be excited about Cade Peterson, he showed alot of fight after the two early turnovers, the last touchdown to Rison was incredible. I have one take away that most people aren't going to appreciate, but its how I see the game.

The GVSU defense is extremely overrated and its been that way for about 3-4 years. Now let me set this straight before I go any further, they are still a good defense, just very over rated.

Everyone makes it out to seem like GV has had these all world defenses that will shutdown anyone. Well they had two opportunities to get stops and get us back in the game, they failed miserably on both of those. We can even point back to the '19 Ferris game, when our defense had the chance to get the offense the ball back with a minute left but instead got ran over by a very below average and non physical QB. Or back in '17 or '18 when our defense gave up a huge touchdown late because of a blown coverage right after the offense marched down the field and scored.

Im sick and tired of hearing about how amazing this GV defense is and how the offense just needs to hold its own. Yea the offense needed to play better on Saturday night, those two goalline turnovers KILLED us. But let me be very clear, the billion 3rd and 30 conversions Ferris had, the second to last drive where they marched directly down our throats, and the last drive, where of course this mediocre defense walks out there and almost lets up a first down ON THE FIRST PLAY hurt this team much more.

This isnt a scheme issue, this is a D-Line issue. ever since the Judon, Voss, and Omameh days back in 15 an 16 we have not been able to get a decent pass rush whatsoever. This Dline is "Good' because they can stop the run. News flash - the scheme both GV and Ferris play up front is made to stop the run. All the dline has to do is take on double teams and let the Mike backer tackle the RB.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really sick and tired of hearing about how great a unit is eventhough time after time they let us down in the biggest moments. They are good, but no where near elite.

Leave a comment:

• Thelakerman
    replied
    Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Probably waiting to see how many GLIAC fields are left.
    Good point!

Leave a comment:

• UFOILERFAN
    replied
    Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

I thought for sure that he was down just short of the goal line. was a BS call all around. At some point we need to get the league to upgrade their camera systems enough that the GLIAC can have review ability at all GLIAC fields.
    Probably waiting to see how many GLIAC fields are left.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    pederson needs to make quicker decisions, quicker passes, throwing a little late - GV running well but the score is all that matters - replay shows the ball crossed the goal line prior to the fumble but not called - Laker 3 turnovers story of game

GV 21 carries 132 yards
    Lakers 215 total yards
    Ferris 170
    I thought for sure that he was down just short of the goal line. was a BS call all around. At some point we need to get the league to upgrade their camera systems enough that the GLIAC can have review ability at all GLIAC fields.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied
    fsu moves - 1st and 15 - motion - flag again - 1st and 20 from 5 - flag - half distance ball at 2 - 1st and 22 - flag - another false start - 1st and 23 - ball at 1 - run for 4 - qb run to 12 - 3rd and 13 - qb scrambles pass complete for 1st down at the 33 - pass complete 1st down - pass complete 1st down gv missed tackle - 1st down - run for 2 - qb run for loss 3rd and 11 - qb run to 30 for first down - ball at 29 - pressure, pass complete for 8 - pass, db there but fsu comes down with it - TD

GVSU - 7
    FSU --- 14
    6:25 in 2nd
    God that was nuts!! How in the hell do you back a team up like that with nothing but the crowd noise making them false start 4 times in a row and not come away with a safety or a punt??

Leave a comment:

• Wide_Right
    replied
    It. would be epic if Ferris and VSU met in the Championship. Rematch of 2018 NC game.

Or, rematch of 2002 NC game, where we. lost by 7 ,to Lakers and Brian Kelly was the coach.

<>
    Last edited by Wide_Right; 10-17-2021, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tony Nicolette
    replied
    Environment was really something last night. As a D2 guy, that's fantastic. As a GV alum...just wish we could have gotten the result we wanted.

DawgUp and Kle stated a lot of what my key takeaways were, but I'll embellish a little:
    • - GV did a great job against FSU's base O. Two key differences from there:
      • FIVE third-and-longs converted (9, 11, 11, 13, and 20 yards) when 12 scrambled and either ran for it or threw on the run. 144 yards netted on those five plays...40% of FSU's total offense for the game. That guy made plays, and you have to hand it to him. Not sure how sustainable that is against PO teams, but it sure worked last night.
      • GV's DB's had a very disappointing night. 12 dropped several dimes, but a number of his throws were simply 50/50's that wound up with DPI's, GV DB being out of position, or FSU WR being more physical to complete the play. Against teams with dudes like that, being more disciplined and physical just has to happen. ONE more stop could have made the difference.
    • Two trips inside the 10 w/ no points, with one of those trips netting Ferris 7. That's a 21-point swing. Credit to Ferris's guys for making plays, but GV has to finish those drives...can't blow opportunities like that against good teams. Even if we get a TD and a FG out of those trips, it's still 17 to the good...story would likely have been much different this morning.
    • As noted by others, GV ran the ball really well. If you add in the jets/flies (which are basically runs), the story looks even better. Been quite a while since we have been able to do that against a Ferris front. There were a few times were I felt like we could have kept the ball on the ground even more than we did. Just felt like we were moving it well that way, and keeping Ferris's O off the field as much as you can is critical. In total, though, I thought we called a good game offensively. D-Up was right that the difference in GV's approach on O in this game was noticeably better than it has been in years past. Have seen improvement week to week, and it will continue as we move toward the PO's.

Am disappointed this morning, for sure. Man, I hope we can get another crack and break through in another six or seven weeks...

Leave a comment:

• DawgUp
    replied
    Yeah Bernhardt is a freak of nature with some of the stuff he was doing. And that was on a bad wheel. He was no where near the player he was in the beginning of the year. I'd also have to give credit to TA. Allendale was playing 11 guys within 7 yds of the LOS. The MLB and OLBs were screaming downhill on any run action and outnumbering us at the point of attack. They were intent on not letting our run game get going. TAs adjustment to go to the passing game with Square Ins and Fades was the required counter punch. And the fact he was throwing it on 1st down helped as well.

Defensively, I get playing your safeties deep or cover 4 to not get beat deep, but if you're only going to play 5 in the box, your MLB has to be a stud. I think ours is still learning on the job. His eye discipline was not good and he was taking bad angles to the ball. Can't chase Jet Sweep action and have the RB run up the gut and hit the 2nd level with no resistance. Gotta stay home and anchor that box. All that said, the boys did what they had to do to win a game in an unbelievable environment. The turnovers in the red zone were guys making big plays. Need that in a game like this. If we could get rid of the personal fouls after stopping teams on 3rd down, we're shaving points off the board. Self-inflicted wounds.

Rematch, at Ferris? Ferris wins by more than 7. No crowd noise impacting the offense. "Should" have our best RB and WR back healthy. Bernhardt should have enough time back under center to where TA can work some of the RPO game into the mix he uses with Mylik. Receivers should feast on those DBs with that. And now that we know Allendale's game plan is to basically run the same offense SVSU ran against us, we hopefully can come up with a better plan of attack.

Allendale with a mobile QB, strength of Ferris defense is their DBs..times change, results don't. 5 straight. TA 9-2 vs MM. Livin' in that head...rent free. Go Dawgs!

Leave a comment:

• GVLakerFan24
    replied
    Have to agree with KleShreen on his analysis of the game. Bernhardt was the best player on the field and made some insane plays to keep drives alive for Ferris, but I thought GVSU had the advantage in nearly every other aspect of the matchup EXCEPT our cornerbacks. Even against teams like LaCrosse, our cornerbacks get burned on deep balls too often and simply don't have the height to win any 50/50 balls. If it weren't for some red zone interceptions (on uncharacteristically bad decisions from Cade) and the fluke fumble turned TD right before half, GV winds this one by 10 points or so. The offensive game plan was great, defense played physical, and the guys showed so much resilience and heart. Credit to Ferris for making more plays than us, but the Lakers proved they are right there with them talent-wise. I just hope we get a rematch with them in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• FSUBulldog27
    replied

I think GV's QB is as good if not better EXCEPT (and its a big one) your guy is an experienced runner - older and use to these BIG game situations playing ACC lax - this was our QB's first one, he will get better - but your guy was finding the little holes and making it happen - he is an excellent athlete but not necessarily a better QB - make sense? - taking nothing away - now, I will agree you have had several outstanding QB's in the past - even Tony admits he was just lucky that in his first years Vander Lean came to ferris - he was good - Jayru was pretty good as well, obviously but I think Vander Lean was better - yes, those 4 years without a doubt you had better QB play - we went away from what made us very good offensive teams for a while with our qb's but we are back now - things will only get better
    You guys had beast for QBs in late 90s and 2000's but seems like TA is finding good ones. I would agree on QB with lax skills and was on display 3rd quarter getting chased of bounds stopped and went backwards to throw the ball for a first down..might have been the one that got down to the seven after RAC. I think he is great at the RPO. It looks like Lubbers gets bigger and bigger every year. Discipline is out of control - I feel a rematch could happen if both of us make the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• BillyGV
    replied
    I will agree on the FG attempt I expected a fake - the two pass part of it was what made the play - they had the first part stopped but the second part of it, well...

Leave a comment:

• BillyGV
    replied
    Originally posted by FSUBulldog27 View Post

When I said dominance i meant the Tony era - Ferris had 2nd and 40 on own twenty and still get a first down from rb run and lacrosse qb...he hasn't played football in 4 years and make plays with legs...Tony finds these guys -

Honestly don't think GV has had a better qb than us in last 9 - 10 years... Winning in a hostile environment even sweeter.
    I think GV's QB is as good if not better EXCEPT (and its a big one) your guy is an experienced runner - older and use to these BIG game situations playing ACC lax - this was our QB's first one, he will get better - but your guy was finding the little holes and making it happen - he is an excellent athlete but not necessarily a better QB - make sense? - taking nothing away - now, I will agree you have had several outstanding QB's in the past - even Tony admits he was just lucky that in his first years Vander Lean came to ferris - he was good - Jayru was pretty good as well, obviously but I think Vander Lean was better - yes, those 4 years without a doubt you had better QB play - we went away from what made us very good offensive teams for a while with our qb's but we are back now - things will only get better

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X