Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulldogs vs Fakers

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GV Retired Bum, have to disagree - the D is very good - the front 7 is very good - what you witnessed Saturday was an outstanding athlete make outstanding plays - the best athlete on the field - yes, the dogs qb is an outstanding athlete and he is the one that beat us - not withstanding the two turnovers, we score in those two situations and GV wins - but we didn't, we made the mistake (pass underthrown, fumble) and that allowed the dog qb's athleticism to beat us - and I agree our db's needed to make a few plays too but their qb was able to scramble, run, and throw and put our db's in that position - we had multiple times the d-line was in on him, they overpowered the dog o-line - but the qb escaped and ran or made the throw - we are all disappointed but we will win out and possibly have another chance in the PO's - IMHO

    Comment


    • Bum, thank you for being a voice of reason. I didn't even want to respond to all the crying I've been hearing about this game and how all of a sudden we need "instant replay" as if that was the reason GV lost.

      You hit the nail on the head. You can't claim your defense is NC caliber and can't get off the field on 3rd and 20+ multiple times. The DBs looked average at best against our WRs and our #1 WR was doing kicking duty all game, too hurt to play offense. Everyone is pointing to how GV outgained Ferris in yds...lol If you recall we had 2 bad snaps that went past our QBs head. That resulted in 43yds lost rushing. You take 1 of those away and we out gain GV in total yds.

      IMO, part of the reason this game was even close was the crowd. They heavily impacted this game from a communication standpoint. Kudos to them. The defense that was played was similar to what GV did in 2019 and to what NWood played against us this year. We torched both of them (over 500yds passing against NWood and over 370 rushing against GV in 2019). The difference this game was we couldn't do any checks at the line because it was so loud. So if we called an inside zone run and GV had 9 stacked in the box, instead of checking to an RPO or deep pass, we just ran the zone play into a defense where we were completely out numbered. Also a ton of our offense is run off of motion based on cadence and timing. If a slot wr can't hear the qb, it will completely throw the play off. That's not to say that GVs defense didn't play a good game and have a good plan, but the way everyone was talking, I was expecting GV to line up in their base defense and just physically dominate us at the line of scrimmage. That was not the case.

      Bum I do take issue with your reference of our 2019 QB Travis Russell as very below average. Not as physical...maybe..but he was a gamer. Always performed when called upon as a starter and a back up. Showed up big against some quality playoff teams for multiple years.

      End of the day..Great win for the Dawgs in an hostile environment. Refs were horrible but they were horrible on both sides. For the rest of you Allendalers, there's no one to blame, and it's ok. You just got beat by a better team with a better coach.

      As for the fumble...it was a fumble. And if there was replay, the call would have stood. Stop the whining. Send it to Dean Blandino.

      Go Dawgs!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
        GV Retired Bum, have to disagree - the D is very good - the front 7 is very good - what you witnessed Saturday was an outstanding athlete make outstanding plays - the best athlete on the field - yes, the dogs qb is an outstanding athlete and he is the one that beat us - not withstanding the two turnovers, we score in those two situations and GV wins - but we didn't, we made the mistake (pass underthrown, fumble) and that allowed the dog qb's athleticism to beat us - and I agree our db's needed to make a few plays too but their qb was able to scramble, run, and throw and put our db's in that position - we had multiple times the d-line was in on him, they overpowered the dog o-line - but the qb escaped and ran or made the throw - we are all disappointed but we will win out and possibly have another chance in the PO's - IMHO
        Im confused on how you see that though? The DBs are clearly the weak point of the entire team, the Linebackers are very very good and the D-Line cant get a sack or even hit the QB to save their lives. Our interior guys do a good job at stopping the run because 1. The scheme, they have the Dline playing run only damn near. 2. Because Dennis and Seth are really good.

        Again, our defense is good. They will do a great job at holding inferior opponents under 30. But time and time again in the most crucial moments they fold. They fold every time. The best defenses eventually come up big in those moments and at least gives the offense a chance to win it. I get its easy to say the offense is always the problem because they have the ability to turn it over. All of those 3rd and longs and the last to drives are just as detrimental to the game as two redzone turnovers.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
          Bum, thank you for being a voice of reason. I didn't even want to respond to all the crying I've been hearing about this game and how all of a sudden we need "instant replay" as if that was the reason GV lost.

          You hit the nail on the head. You can't claim your defense is NC caliber and can't get off the field on 3rd and 20+ multiple times. The DBs looked average at best against our WRs and our #1 WR was doing kicking duty all game, too hurt to play offense. Everyone is pointing to how GV outgained Ferris in yds...lol If you recall we had 2 bad snaps that went past our QBs head. That resulted in 43yds lost rushing. You take 1 of those away and we out gain GV in total yds.

          IMO, part of the reason this game was even close was the crowd. They heavily impacted this game from a communication standpoint. Kudos to them. The defense that was played was similar to what GV did in 2019 and to what NWood played against us this year. We torched both of them (over 500yds passing against NWood and over 370 rushing against GV in 2019). The difference this game was we couldn't do any checks at the line because it was so loud. So if we called an inside zone run and GV had 9 stacked in the box, instead of checking to an RPO or deep pass, we just ran the zone play into a defense where we were completely out numbered. Also a ton of our offense is run off of motion based on cadence and timing. If a slot wr can't hear the qb, it will completely throw the play off. That's not to say that GVs defense didn't play a good game and have a good plan, but the way everyone was talking, I was expecting GV to line up in their base defense and just physically dominate us at the line of scrimmage. That was not the case.

          Bum I do take issue with your reference of our 2019 QB Travis Russell as very below average. Not as physical...maybe..but he was a gamer. Always performed when called upon as a starter and a back up. Showed up big against some quality playoff teams for multiple years.

          End of the day..Great win for the Dawgs in an hostile environment. Refs were horrible but they were horrible on both sides. For the rest of you Allendalers, there's no one to blame, and it's ok. You just got beat by a better team with a better coach.

          As for the fumble...it was a fumble. And if there was replay, the call would have stood. Stop the whining. Send it to Dean Blandino.

          Go Dawgs!
          We lost because of two redzone turnovers and our Defensive End play is some of the worst we have had in a long time along with our DBs getting mossed every other throw.

          Good thing to take away from this, Ferris played a good game for them. Played solid D, Ran the ball well enough, and WRs played extremely well. GV had bad turnovers, and their defense stunk. They only lost by 7. Go Lakers! hope they meet again soon

          Comment


          • Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
            Everyone is pointing to how GV outgained Ferris in yds...lol If you recall we had 2 bad snaps that went past our QBs head. That resulted in 43yds lost rushing. You take 1 of those away and we out gain GV in total yds.
            For the sake of argument, Dawg, you're "sorta" correct. On the first instance, yes...it was a loss of 20 yards and Ferris punted on the next play. No argument. However, the second time it happened (loss of 23 yards), Ferris gained all of those yards back and then scored on that drive. So, the net drive distance was the same: 7 plays, 72 yards. If we grant you the 20 yards from the first instance, the total winds up 384 to 381 in FSU's favor...essentially a wash.

            If anything, this shines further light on what I brought up earlier and lends itself to Bum's point about the D: 40% of FSU's yardage totals came on the five 3rd and longs that were converted (including when you false-started yourselves practically into your own end zone). The D simply HAS to find a way to get off the field on at least three of those. ALL FIVE of those third down conversions came on scoring drives (two of them happened on the same drive in the 2Q).

            I could go a step further and simply look at the final FSU scoring drive. After allowing 29 yards on a 3rd and 9 from your own 14 (this instance I counted previously/above...sick throw on the run by 12, so want to give credit on that), we can add a 3rd and 6 from from the GV 44 where a DPI netted the conversion, AND we can add the 3rd and 18 where the gain of 17 set up 4th and 1, which was converted on the fake FG. A stop on the first one absolutely nets a punt. The second one, either a risky 4th down or a punt. A solid stop on the third instance leaves you guys in another risky 4th or a punt (with a good chance to pin deep).

            You take those five plays I have talked about plus the sixth instance that led to the fake FG, and the remaining 50 Ferris plays come in at four yards a pop...yeah, fine, couple of kneel downs also, but you get my point. The D did well enough for the most part...I mean, no one keeps Ferris to 4-yards a play. The struggles came on the plays you simply have to make to get off the field and win games...particularly against an elite opponent. Those six 3rd downs are an enormous part of the story of this game. Now, there are a couple that were defended pretty well and 12 simply made plays, but still...even ONE stop on those could have been the difference...

            Comment


            • Massey ratings has Ferris #4, above a 5-1 N.W.M.S.

              Ferris should be #1


              https://masseyratings.com/cf/ncaa-d2/ratings

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post
                Massey ratings has Ferris #4, above a 5-1 N.W.M.S.

                Ferris should be #1


                https://masseyratings.com/cf/ncaa-d2/ratings
                Our SoS sucks. Have Davenport on there twice. Lack of another OOC game against a quality opponent hurts when it comes to Massey's metrics.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

                  You take those five plays I have talked about plus the sixth instance that led to the fake FG, and the remaining 50 Ferris plays come in at four yards a pop...yeah, fine, couple of kneel downs also, but you get my point. The D did well enough for the most part...I mean, no one keeps Ferris to 4-yards a play. The struggles came on the plays you simply have to make to get off the field and win games...particularly against an elite opponent. Those six 3rd downs are an enormous part of the story of this game. Now, there are a couple that were defended pretty well and 12 simply made plays, but still...even ONE stop on those could have been the difference...
                  Tony we can do this all day. I'm sure I can pick 5 to 6 plays from the Ferris side that if we made some plays on our end on third downs they would have made this game more than a touchdown victory. In a really close game each side will have a handful of plays that they feel could have turned the tide or stretched the lead on their opponent.

                  The comment about the yds was just a side note. It doesn't matter. I gave GVs D credit and said they played good and had a good plan. But I stand by what I said, this is not a NC caliber defense (as many posters were stating).

                  If you stack the box against a running team and limit their ydg or yds per play...great. A good offense will attack you with deep passes and gash you with their mobile qb while you're in man coverage, which is exactly what happened. If you take something away, you're giving something else up. Ferris defensively played the pass and didn't load the box for the run. So we gave up more rushing yds than passing yds.

                  Ferris offense and defense made big plays in a big game when it was needed. Ferris coaching staff made effective adjustments, when needed. To GVs credit, they made some big plays as well, but not enough. Everything else is snotwash.

                  I get Allendalers are looking for a silver lining, so I'll throw one out. I think Cade Peterson will be the most effective QB GV has had since Finnerty, IF he keeps growing. Has a little edge about him. Moment doesn't seem like it's too big for him. I liked that.

                  Allendale will need it, because their coming across as Big Game Lame over the past few years.

                  Comment


                  • Ferris is number 1 in the AFCA poll.

                    Comment


                    • I'll take it, but I would've voted for Valdosta

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                        I'll take it, but I would've voted for Valdosta
                        Would not be surprised it these two meet in McKinney.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

                          Tony we can do this all day. I'm sure I can pick 5 to 6 plays from the Ferris side that if we made some plays on our end on third downs they would have made this game more than a touchdown victory. In a really close game each side will have a handful of plays that they feel could have turned the tide or stretched the lead on their opponent.

                          The comment about the yds was just a side note. It doesn't matter. I gave GVs D credit and said they played good and had a good plan. But I stand by what I said, this is not a NC caliber defense (as many posters were stating).

                          If you stack the box against a running team and limit their ydg or yds per play...great. A good offense will attack you with deep passes and gash you with their mobile qb while you're in man coverage, which is exactly what happened. If you take something away, you're giving something else up. Ferris defensively played the pass and didn't load the box for the run. So we gave up more rushing yds than passing yds.

                          Ferris offense and defense made big plays in a big game when it was needed. Ferris coaching staff made effective adjustments, when needed. To GVs credit, they made some big plays as well, but not enough. Everything else is snotwash.

                          I get Allendalers are looking for a silver lining, so I'll throw one out. I think Cade Peterson will be the most effective QB GV has had since Finnerty, IF he keeps growing. Has a little edge about him. Moment doesn't seem like it's too big for him. I liked that.

                          Allendale will need it, because their coming across as Big Game Lame over the past few years.
                          LOL...you're right, we could do this all day...and we kinda have!

                          I'm not arguing with you at all...more nitpicking you on the missed snap thing just for fun. I think if you really look at our posts we saw the game rather similarly...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

                            LOL...you're right, we could do this all day...and we kinda have!

                            I'm not arguing with you at all...more nitpicking you on the missed snap thing just for fun. I think if you really look at our posts we saw the game rather similarly...
                            LOL..Hey no worries, With the shrinking landscape not a lot of GLIAC members besides Ferris and Allendale to stoke up rivalry talk.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                              I'll take it, but I would've voted for Valdosta
                              Agreed. Watched their game against West Alabama. Picture Valdosta 2018 but faster (if that's possible) with a better defense.

                              Comment


                              • Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X