Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Wayne State

Saw this release: https://today.wayne.edu/news/2022/08...-in-2023-48992

I know some Wayne State fans have been unhappy with the current HC. Serious question, with the president stepping down next summer, is that a good thing for the football program?--in other words has the current president been the HC's protector?

Again, just curious if this announcement could be positive development for Wayne State football.

I have zero information about any of this, but I would assume that, like most D-II schools, it depends more on who the next president is. Athletics can be impacted quite a bit, whether positively or negatively, depending on the university president's position. Some presidents don't prioritize athletics and the programs suffer. Other presidents view it as a driving force of school reputation and enrollment, and then athletics can thrive. So I don't think this news is substantial, but whoever they hire to be the next president would be when the questions should be asked.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Winters' main protector is the AD. As long as the AD stays in place Winters job is secure. A new president most likely wouldn't mess with the AD position as long as he stays clean.

Comment

Wayne has had a troubled history in the past of Presidents messing with athletics. One pulled out of the MAC after founding it, citing a low priority on academics. The next joined the (now D3) PAC, which because of a ban on postseason play gives Wayne the distinction of being the only school to turn down an invitation to play in the NCAA tournament, after making it to the Sweet 16 the previous year. Another openly called for the dismantling of the football program in the 1980's after a period of success in the mid-70's. I believe that is a driving factor on why WSU has had to spend the past 20 years playing catch-up to other programs.

Given the resources that have been poured into the program, I doubt the powers that be would consider a President that would take athletics back to the dark ages. I also have doubts that the current AD will stick around much longer. He's got to be in his mid-60's and he's been in a walking boot for a long time. At some point, I would think he would like to retire. Last year, in my peak of rage against the football situation, I FOIA'd WSU to get me the contract of Winters and the AD. Winters was contracted to the end of this year; I'm waiting for a response to see if has been extended. The AD is contracted until March of 24, about a year after Wilson's expires. If I was a betting man, the AD sticks around to help the transition, and then gets replaced in 2024.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X