Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn’t GVSU-WSU on FloSports??

I thought I was paying the absurd $20 a month for “GLIAC sports anytime, anywhere” lol

i guess they forgot the asterisks
    *unless it’s a conference game that doesn’t count as a conference game
    **unless it’s away and the other team has their own ****ty broadcast

I’m glad someone said it. I can’t explain how upset I am that I’m paying for FloSports, and WSU wanted me to pay for their premium content. Heck, at least CSU Pueblo gave the game for free. Apparently I missed the memo that if a team offers their own content, I don’t get to watch the game even though I’m paying for FloSports. GLIAC, please explain.

Comment

Wayne State opted out of the FloSports agreement to keep their own streaming services. I'm guessing it's possible that maybe they have a contract with their current provider that they couldn't yet get out of.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
        Wayne State opted out of the FloSports agreement to keep their own streaming services. I'm guessing it's possible that maybe they have a contract with their current provider that they couldn't yet get out of.
        Which like, makes sense. But when it’s marketed that FloSports is now the exclusive provider of GLIAC sports and they’re charging such a hefty price, it’s just very frustrating. I would think that D2 sports, which have such a small following, would find solutions to treat those fans right. And if you’re trying to gain a bigger following, how is that ever going to happen when games are so hard to access?

Comment

Because it’s so cold in the D

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post

Which like, makes sense. But when it’s marketed that FloSports is now the exclusive provider of GLIAC sports and they’re charging such a hefty price, it’s just very frustrating. I would think that D2 sports, which have such a small following, would find solutions to treat those fans right. And if you’re trying to gain a bigger following, how is that ever going to happen when games are so hard to access?
            I mean I agree, generally. But you also have to understand that FloSports doesn't offer memberships just for individual schools or conferences. That $20 a month is for all services on the platform. All events, no matter what sport or competitors or conferences or level of competition. Do with that information what you will in determining if it is worth it. That's up to you. But the agreement between the GLIAC and Flo is still a better deal to be able to watch GLIAC contests, across all sports, than buying individual events from schools each time. I understand what you are saying, though. D-II people in general probably don't care about watching other D-II teams. If you're a Saginaw Valley fan, why do you want to watch Purdue-Northwest play Parkside in basketball? Or, even less likely, watch the SAC schools play volleyball? I agree that it doesn't really make sense. I think the agreement more caters to people who want to watch all sorts of D-II sports and schools, which I don't feel like is a big amount of people.

As it pertains to just saying it is the provider of GLIAC sports, in general that's not wrong. The agreement contained exclusively GLIAC schools. Just one GLIAC school opted to not be part of the agreement yet.

It's just all how you perceive the value. Yea it's 20 bucks a month, but it did add *some* value. Some GLIAC schools weren't doing video broadcasts at all for some sports, and now they are as a result of the agreement. If you couldn't watch Michigan Tech volleyball home matches before, you now can (I have no idea if they offered those broadcasts previously, it's just an example). I agree it would be nice to have the option to buy individual events, or individual schools, or individual sports, but unfortunately that isn't an option. So you gotta kinda look at the value of what is offered. And considering that most schools were charging 5.99 for an individual event on their own services, you'd only have to watch 3-4 in a month to already be beyond the 20/month fee of Flo. So I dunno, just depends what you take in. I find it valuable just because I'm one of those people who will watch all sorts of different D-II sports from all around the country. I've already watched probably 7 things on Flo since the season started, mostly football from all over the country.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Watching the WSU game on-demand after the fact, I noticed there was no CN900 branding on the score overlay or in the booth like there normally is. And honestly some of the production was just sloppy (kinda like the team itself). I wonder if the Comcast deal is ending soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X