X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champgymusa
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Salaries are actually comparable, if not less. Per random google info, Koehler makes $170,000. I'm sure Brechin is close to that number as well. So money wouldn't be an issue...It would be time and responsibilities for the money that would be the difference.
    Trust me on random google numbers...LOL...they aint that close anymore...and just because someone was a good position coach years ago, factor in the academic side and can he actually be a head coach? Lots of moving pieces.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

I agree on the money part. I hadn’t realized Brechin was d-coordinator of Miami (Oh). No way he leaves Coach Martin at this point. I’m guessing he makes more as a MAC coordinator than HC at GV.

I’m still intrigued by Ryan Brady. Any chance that would happen? I know he spent nearly all his time with Annese, so maybe there’s no love lost between him and GV. I guess I just don’t know enough about him to know if he’s an upgrade over Postma.
    Salaries are actually comparable, if not less. Per random google info, Koehler makes $170,000. I'm sure Brechin is close to that number as well. So money wouldn't be an issue...It would be time and responsibilities for the money that would be the difference.

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    A few things to consider here...MONEY...you think any of the coaches you all names are willing to take a pay cut to come back to GVSU as the head coach? That 60-70 hour a week job for maybe 50% of what they are making now? What changed after Martin left? The admin decided that we needed to actually get real about academics and admin did just that. Look up the ASR of the Kelly and Martin teams compared to now...actually look up Ferris and SVSU while your at it. TIP program would be helpful at GVSU like it is at Ferris and SVSU, but GVSU doesnt offer associate degree programs. Mitchell just doubled if not tripled his salary and hooked onto a rising star with Fickell. D1 is only going to happen when Philly decides...all the work is done, she just needs to hit the go button...O and find about 20 million a year for it to work. Right now GVSU is loaded for next year...lets hope they stay remember that. However if they go 9-0 they wont make the playoffs anyway..need more games. They have called EVERY open date team, no takers yet...any ideas on that folks?
    I agree on the money part. I hadn’t realized Brechin was d-coordinator of Miami (Oh). No way he leaves Coach Martin at this point. I’m guessing he makes more as a MAC coordinator than HC at GV.

I’m still intrigued by Ryan Brady. Any chance that would happen? I know he spent nearly all his time with Annese, so maybe there’s no love lost between him and GV. I guess I just don’t know enough about him to know if he’s an upgrade over Postma.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    A few things to consider here...MONEY...you think any of the coaches you all names are willing to take a pay cut to come back to GVSU as the head coach? That 60-70 hour a week job for maybe 50% of what they are making now? What changed after Martin left? The admin decided that we needed to actually get real about academics and admin did just that. Look up the ASR of the Kelly and Martin teams compared to now...actually look up Ferris and SVSU while your at it. TIP program would be helpful at GVSU like it is at Ferris and SVSU, but GVSU doesnt offer associate degree programs. Mitchell just doubled if not tripled his salary and hooked onto a rising star with Fickell. D1 is only going to happen when Philly decides...all the work is done, she just needs to hit the go button...O and find about 20 million a year for it to work. Right now GVSU is loaded for next year...lets hope they stay remember that. However if they go 9-0 they wont make the playoffs anyway..need more games. They have called EVERY open date team, no takers yet...any ideas on that folks?
    I'm sure they're working on every option, but I wonder if Grand Action 2.0 has been brought into the discussion at all.

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
    I wonder if this has anything to do with why Nick Postma didn't go for the Northern Michigan job again.
    No lol

Leave a comment:

• MrsThortonMelon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
    Please stop the nonsense about GV going to D1, they don't have the sports facilities, fan base , recruiting, size of school or budget, it just doesn't make any sense. A Lefty president who was a Dean at Ferris, probably not on her list of priorites anyways. M.M. skipping town. For Pete's sake, FCS?
    ​​​​Stay focused here, and concentrate on steamrolling that team up North. FCS, really?
    ​​​​​
    WTF is this post lol

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied
    Originally posted by GliacRules! View Post
    Please stop the nonsense about GV going to D1, they don't have the sports facilities, fan base , recruiting, size of school or budget, it just doesn't make any sense. A Lefty president who was a Dean at Ferris, probably not on her list of priorites anyways. M.M. skipping town. For Pete's sake, FCS?
    ​​​​Stay focused here, and concentrate on steamrolling that team up North. FCS, really?
    ​​​​​
    From my understanding, this isn’t just out of pride. The GLIAC continues to fall apart. Teams are already scrambling trying to fill schedules. Travel to the nearest FCS conference would be tough, but I’d rather the administration we proactive, than playing some of the teams GV did last year.

You don’t have to be king of the mountain just to move up. Obviously there’s been some D2 horror stories, but there’s also been successes. And nearly all of those teams weren’t tops before moving.

Leave a comment:

• GliacRules!
    replied
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied

That's another thing to consider. If you go with an external candidate, odds are it'll be someone looking to move their way up. If you hire internally, it's possible it could be someone who wants to be here long term. Which would people prefer?
    That’s very true. I’ll be honest, after Coach Martins run, I would’ve bet money that Coach Mitch was going to be on a similar arch. Obviously I was way wrong. Ended up having great win totals, but could never get to the NC like Coach Martin.

If I could choose, I’d rather be known for the place that hot shot coaches come and succeed (and move up) than have a 15-20 year coach that can’t get us past Ferris. The landscape has changed, but I do think we used to get a few more difference maker players by being in the NC games. I’ll take that over long-term stability but never getting there.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

That's another thing to consider. If you go with an external candidate, odds are it'll be someone looking to move their way up. If you hire internally, it's possible it could be someone who wants to be here long term. Which would people prefer?
    Right, Heck, there could be some young hot shot assistant coach with Kelly down at LSU who could be the guy who could get GVSU to blow the doors off of Ferris next year, but odds are we would be looking for the next new hot shot coach in 3 to 5 years.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post
    To be honest, I would be extremely excited to see a guy like Bill Brechin come back. Martin has seen enough with him that he’s taken him at every stop (Notre Dame and Miami Ohio)

Of the guys on staff, I’d choose Postma.

He’s been gone a number of years, but a guy like Todd Kolster had a good few years with the Lakers, and has won State titles in high school. Also, just throwing out names for the heck of it, what about Brady at Saginaw? Played for GV back in the day.

In the end, I’d love a guy like Brechin. But also would be good with Postma.

The thing that I go back to is 2009/2010, Mitch made the most sense and had the players. But then to realize that a guy like Liepold got passed up makes me shake my head too (although obviously he wouldn’t have stayed very long).

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied
    To be honest, I would be extremely excited to see a guy like Bill Brechin come back. Martin has seen enough with him that he’s taken him at every stop (Notre Dame and Miami Ohio)

Of the guys on staff, I’d choose Postma.

He’s been gone a number of years, but a guy like Todd Kolster had a good few years with the Lakers, and has won State titles in high school. Also, just throwing out names for the heck of it, what about Brady at Saginaw? Played for GV back in the day.

In the end, I’d love a guy like Brechin. But also would be good with Postma.

The thing that I go back to is 2009/2010, Mitch made the most sense and had the players. But then to realize that a guy like Liepold got passed up makes me shake my head too (although obviously he wouldn’t have stayed very long).

Leave a comment:

• lakerblue
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    Random thought…Eric Kohler. Connections to the program and he has been in D1 the last nine years with Chuck. When he actually had full control of the GV offense, it was actually quite good. It took Chuck leaving for that to happen though.
    Your connection guys are who left in good terms:

Koehler- Miami
    Whitlow- Air Force
    Brechin- Miami
    Barnett- Iowa

None I believe would be better than an internal hire

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Random thought…Eric Kohler. Connections to the program and he has been in D1 the last nine years with Chuck. When he actually had full control of the GV offense, it was actually quite good. It took Chuck leaving for that to happen though.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X