X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrsThortonMelon
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Considering the schism there seems to be with the internal vs. external debate, it seems odd that the sources only name one candidate and it happens to be Wooster. It’s definitely clear that he’s the in-house guy, but why would Becker traverse the country in car and jet if Wooster is the foregone conclusion?
    I believe the term is due diligence. Becker most likely wanted to meet the people that she thought would be the best options for GVSU. Football scoop is not always 100% correct on every matter either. Ask coach Prime is Wayne State is trying to hire him. Whatever the deal is I think Wooster is a home run. We shall all see.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
    https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...new-head-coach

Seems strangely written. Says "a decision is expected soon" but also talks about it like it is already a foregone conclusion ("This marks the first head coaching opportunity for Wooster, and he takes over one of the best jobs in D-II.")
    Considering the schism there seems to be with the internal vs. external debate, it seems odd that the sources only name one candidate and it happens to be Wooster. It’s definitely clear that he’s the in-house guy, but why would Becker traverse the country in car and jet if Wooster is the foregone conclusion?

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    https://footballscoop.com/news/sourc...new-head-coach

Matt Mitchell led one of the top college football programs at Grand Valley (D-II - MI) the last 13 seasons before deciding to join Luke Fickell's staff at Wisconsin recently.

Sources tell FootballScoop that the quality of candidates that applied for the Lakers opening was every bit as impressive as you would expect from a program that held onto the #1 ranking in D-II football for much of the season.

Their search included Power Five and Group of Five coordinators, former Grand Valley standout players and assistants, and some very successful small college coaches.

After holding in-person interviews and Zoom interviews with finalists recently, including some out-of-state meetings, Grand Valley is nearing a decision, several sources have shared with FootballScoop in the past 24 to 48 hours.

Sources tell FootballScoop that the Lakers in-house candidate Scott Wooster is the top target as they near the end of the process.

Wooster is a veteran coach in the GLIAC, who joined the staff a few seasons ago as offensive line coach / run game coordinator.

There is a lot of support on campus, and in the building for Wooster to take the reigns in Allendale, sources have shared throughout the process.

He previously spent 11 seasons on the staff at GLIAC member Wayne State (D-II - MI) where he also played before joining the staff initially as tight ends coach before taking over the offensive line in 2013.

This marks the first head coaching opportunity for Wooster, and he takes over one of the best jobs in D-II.

A final decision from Grand Valley is expected soon.

The Lakers entered the season at top 5 team, and won the GLIAC after knocking off defending national champion and conference rival Ferris State earlier this year. They entered the postseason as the #1 team in the country before falling to Ferris in a close playoff matchup.

Stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest.
    Seems strangely written. Says "a decision is expected soon" but also talks about it like it is already a foregone conclusion ("This marks the first head coaching opportunity for Wooster, and he takes over one of the best jobs in D-II.")

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

lol Name them you fu%#ing know it all jacka$$. lol You always claim to know almost everything about GV FOOTBALL but you never back it up with concrete evidence when someone challenges you. lol Then you attack/redirect because your ego can't take it when you realize you said something stupid just to make a point. lol Now before you go off on me, name the names-about five means 3 or 4 or 6 or 7 to me. lol Come on now you diabetic "rat" dog loving know it all idiot. lol There you have it-I've given you names, now it's time for you to ponyup. And don't just chastise me or make fun of my user name or cry to Brandon. I am so sick of your bull$hit.......lololololololololololololololololol ololololol ad infinitum
    lmao. Setting aside the general unhingedness of this post.....you're saying that to earn 4nick8's respect, I should post the personal information of people on a public forum, who have thus far chosen to not share their own personal information? That's quite the moronic demand lol. I'm a plebe who knows nothing. I just have some free time and some pretty good internet sleuthing skills.

However, if you want a hint. Feel free to PM some of the posters on here and demand their names, professions, net worth, etc. See if they'll tell you. Or you can go walk around the Gold Lot at home games and see if anyone there will tell you their name on here. I'm gonna guess not, but you can give it a shot! Report back with that info if you want to put your money where your mouth is, and see what happens lol.

And yikes. Going after the dead dog and a terminal medical condition? Oof. I think that's what most people would call "desperation."

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied
    Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

lol Name them you fu%#ing know it all jacka$$. lol You always claim to know almost everything about GV FOOTBALL but you never back it up with concrete evidence when someone challenges you. lol Then you attack/redirect because your ego can't take it when you realize you said something stupid just to make a point. lol Now before you go off on me, name the names-about five means 3 or 4 or 6 or 7 to me. lol Come on now you diabetic "rat" dog loving know it all idiot. lol There you have it-I've given you names, now it's time for you to ponyup. And don't just chastise me or make fun of my user name or cry to Brandon. I am so sick of your bull$hit.......lololololololololololololololololol ololololol ad infinitum
    Who hurt you as a child? lol

Leave a comment:

• 4nick8
    replied

There's about five people who post on here regularly that can fund whatever they want within the GV athletics program, and some of them have specifically said on here that they were not donating while Mitchell was the coach. Why don't you question how much they are donating to the cause when they complain about something?

Leave a comment:

• MrsThortonMelon
    replied

lol what in the world. Feel free to ask, but there's no reason to bring it up as a qualifier for anyone to complain about a shortcoming of the athletics program lol. There's not a fee to post here and give your opinions.

And if you do want to make those statements, just make sure to bring it up to everyone, including the people who actually can drive change. There's about five people who post on here regularly that can fund whatever they want within the GV athletics program, and some of them have specifically said on here that they were not donating while Mitchell was the coach. Why don't you question how much they are donating to the cause when they complain about something?
    I am curious how you know that these people do or do not actually donate? Most people that complain the loudest never actually did donate or it was small amounts. I would hope that someone that had the ability to donate and help the kids would do so not based on who the coach or AD was but rather if they thought the mission of the program was in place. And you say there are millionaires on the this board that can throw their weight around? Name two please, I find that hard to believe. Can they get a seat on a team plane or better parking? Sure...but actually make changes in personnel and policy? Gosh I hope not. If they made those changes please list those as well. Have a nice off season and get some help please.

Leave a comment:

• DawgUp
    replied
    Ahh Yes, the infighting continues. Here's a simple solution. Kle has stated on more than one occasion it's easy to see what coaches apply to what jobs "if you know where to look". You seem to know everything about TA so this should be like taking candy from a baby for your own institution. So get to lookin'.

From there, all the GV Daddy Warbucks get together, decide who you like the best, and then put on your FBS booster hats and tell KB who's she's gonna hire or you won't go out and sell any more M&Ms and Girl Scout Cookies in front of Walmart to help fund the athletics dept.

And loosen up on the criteria. Who cares if the guy used a campus computer to send an email to the student body posing as a Nigerian Prince in need of crypto currency. Or called the Psychic hotline number on his office phone to see what game plan would work against his weekly opponent. That's called showing initiative and using critical thinking.

This hire is either going to push you forward or set you back for the next decade. You guys need to start using your collective power to ensure the survival of the GV football species. : )

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

You are right we should never ask anyone with money to help the school...thats a terrible idea cause then those that dont have the money to donate will feel bad...I am sorry...see ya kids on the other board..peace out.
    lol what in the world. Feel free to ask, but there's no reason to bring it up as a qualifier for anyone to complain about a shortcoming of the athletics program lol. There's not a fee to post here and give your opinions.

And if you do want to make those statements, just make sure to bring it up to everyone, including the people who actually can drive change. There's about five people who post on here regularly that can fund whatever they want within the GV athletics program, and some of them have specifically said on here that they were not donating while Mitchell was the coach. Why don't you question how much they are donating to the cause when they complain about something?

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

but... if someone donated millions for a new basketball arena... it would happen... like the wrestling addition... but if someone donated millions for a new AD... they would have to fire someone... which is unlikely... Same thing though!!! Love the redirection to being offended repeatedly on this forum.
    lol who is offended? Why is that your default? Not sure how saying questions and demands should be rendered to both sides is "being offended" lol.

Leave a comment:

• champgymusa
    replied
    Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

but... if someone donated millions for a new basketball arena... it would happen... like the wrestling addition... but if someone donated millions for a new AD... they would have to fire someone... which is unlikely... Same thing though!!! Love the redirection to being offended repeatedly on this forum.
    You are right we should never ask anyone with money to help the school...thats a terrible idea cause then those that dont have the money to donate will feel bad...I am sorry...see ya kids on the other board..peace out.

Leave a comment:

• GV Retired Bum
    replied

You don't need to make condescending comments like "donate millions of dollars for a new basketball arena and it will happen" simply because someone points out that the basketball arena currently sucks. But if you do want to make those comments, then make sure and also point them to the people on here who complain about the football coach or AD that they don't like. Because their money can go towards that, too, if they want to change something.

I just think it's interesting that when people on here are complaining about the football coach or the AD, there's never a suggestion to put their money where their mouth is and donate to get rid of them. There's a number of people on here who complain, and can make those changes happen with their pockets, but they are never told to give money to change what they complain about. It's always directed at the people who don't have those resources pointing out a deficiency, as if people who don't have the resources to help out aren't allowed to have an opinion. If I had millions, the first thing I would do is make sure the GV baseball and softball fields got lights.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied

Explain and go slowly since I dont read very fast how I am shaming the AD or the program. I am saying if you want something done pitch in and help if you can...the poster had said if it were on the block he would help fund it. Trust me, I dont shame ANYONE for not being able to help out. I DO encourage those that can help to do so regardless of your take on politics or admin..your money helps the student athletes. And does GVSU need help? Hell yes they do...name me one D2 school that has more funds that they know what to do with. Go ahead and point out where I am wrong please..
    You don't need to make condescending comments like "donate millions of dollars for a new basketball arena and it will happen" simply because someone points out that the basketball arena currently sucks. But if you do want to make those comments, then make sure and also point them to the people on here who complain about the football coach or AD that they don't like. Because their money can go towards that, too, if they want to change something.

I just think it's interesting that when people on here are complaining about the football coach or the AD, there's never a suggestion to put their money where their mouth is and donate to get rid of them. There's a number of people on here who complain, and can make those changes happen with their pockets, but they are never told to give money to change what they complain about. It's always directed at the people who don't have those resources pointing out a deficiency, as if people who don't have the resources to help out aren't allowed to have an opinion. If I had millions, the first thing I would do is make sure the GV baseball and softball fields got lights.

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied

OK...so whats your plan? who is your guy? and remember this is D2 with a certain level of pay...Brian Kelly aint coming back for 2.3% of what he gets paid now...go ahead please...
    Oh I completely agree. Obviously it’s just a wish list, but mine are 1) Brechin, 2) Brady, and 3) Postma. I know I’ll be wrong.

And again, it’s more-so that even with a talented team coming back, Ferris is still bringing back a ton too. I don’t mind going into a season knowing that that’s our game; if we get past Ferris, we’d have a good chance of winning a NC. But obviously I would love to finally get over that hump. That’s not me saying we need to blow this thing up either, I’m just naming guys who I like the potential of. If it gets announced tomorrow that Postma or Wooster are hired, I’ll still be just as excited for September. But I’ll also know that it’ll be 1-2 crazy tough games against Ferris, which history has showing over the past decade, we struggle to beat them.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

While I like this talent on the team, Ferris isn’t getting much worse next year. And essentially last year was a draw. I get we have the talent to beat the other teams in D2, but we’re still at a draw with a Ferris team to get out of the region. I’m not against an internal hire, but I don’t think it’s as easy as run-it-back because we have a championship caliber team. Ferris has found a way to beat us more than we beat them (since Mitch took over).

And maybe I’m not concerned about it as others, but I’m still not concerned about transfers out. At D2, it’s more about the school and perks. GV is about the best it can get in those categories. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I’m just not concerned about that.

Time will obviously tell if this will help push us over beating Ferris. But if history showed anything, Mitchell lost to them more often than he won, and not changing anything will likely lead to more losses.
    Because Annese is the best coach in D2 football history thus far in to his career. He has the best winning percentage among all coaches in D2 history with at least 10 years of experience. Try as they might, GV is unlikely to find someone who is going to be better. So the more likely option is you just try and stay close, and hopefully win more close games than you lose. The best way to do that is to keep it internal. If you want to take the risk of trying to find someone who is going to revolutionize everything and somehow leave the best coach in D2 history in the dust, then GV can try and do that, but the odds are stacked against them. It's possible, but unlikely.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X