X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BillyGV
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    I would assume that GV has a search firm looking for internal and external candidates and consultants ready to weigh in on them.

This is usually a whole process. This hire is the face of your school, it's not like they are hiring a waitress and are going to grab the first person who can pass a UA.
    This is correct - they began the process immediately when Mitch informed Keri - the players are being kept informed on the process as are the assistant coaches as well as the football alumni board - our AD is doing it right and will get what her and her staff believe will be the best for GV - someone, anyone who comes in thinking they would have to blow up the program would never get the job - it has to be someone who has done their research and knows what GV has and who GV is - two assistant coaches have made their interest known as have many, many others from all levels of football - Go Lakers!!
    Last edited by BillyGV; 01-19-2023, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    I would assume that GV has a search firm looking for internal and external candidates and consultants ready to weigh in on them.

This is usually a whole process. This hire is the face of your school, it's not like they are hiring a waitress and are going to grab the first person who can pass a UA.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    Originally posted by gvfootball01 View Post

In December 2009, after Coach Martin announced that he was leaving, players significantly advocated for Coach Mitch. It became very apparent that he wasn’t the next Kelly/Martin. So for the next ~12 seasons, everyone complained.

Now GV has to rush a hire just to appease the players? In reality, we should’ve lost to FSU in October, and did lose in December. The previous season we lost to FSU twice. The pre-Covid season, we didn’t even make the playoffs. If this next hire can’t push GV over the hump, then what’s the point. I’d rather take some (potential) growing pains in Year 1, than rush to hire someone. From my understanding, is there even a Portal in D2? And if those players are leaving, where are they going anyways? There’s few D2 schools that have better facilities and perks than GV.

With that said, if Postma gets hired, I think he’s a good, quality coach (I don’t know Wooster enough to know). But I’m not rushing a decision (like the Mitchell hire) just to appease the players. Attrition happens every year in D2. Some of those players, especially because of the Covid year, may have already decided to hang it up anyways.

My wish list still would be 1) Brechin, 2) Brady, and 3) Postma.
    I'm not one to want to hire someone internally from a program that can't seem to get over the hump, but Wooster is as close to being external as you can get without being external since he's so new to the staff. That is one good thing going for him and there's little doubt that he coaches a great offensive line. The question is, can he manage an entire program? Does he have his own model or does he model himself after Mitchell or Winters? IMO, it seems risky to promote someone from D2 position coach directly to head coach. But I'm not an AD and barely know anything about him.

Leave a comment:

• Irishlaker
    replied

In December 2009, after Coach Martin announced that he was leaving, players significantly advocated for Coach Mitch. It became very apparent that he wasn’t the next Kelly/Martin. So for the next ~12 seasons, everyone complained.

Now GV has to rush a hire just to appease the players? In reality, we should’ve lost to FSU in October, and did lose in December. The previous season we lost to FSU twice. The pre-Covid season, we didn’t even make the playoffs. If this next hire can’t push GV over the hump, then what’s the point. I’d rather take some (potential) growing pains in Year 1, than rush to hire someone. From my understanding, is there even a Portal in D2? And if those players are leaving, where are they going anyways? There’s few D2 schools that have better facilities and perks than GV.

With that said, if Postma gets hired, I think he’s a good, quality coach (I don’t know Wooster enough to know). But I’m not rushing a decision (like the Mitchell hire) just to appease the players. Attrition happens every year in D2. Some of those players, especially because of the Covid year, may have already decided to hang it up anyways.

Interesting post...don't see eye-to-eye on some of it:

1) Mitchell was not a quick hire to appease anyone. There were a couple of other legit candidates (Lance Leipold in particular) that the hiring committee had to do some serious thinking about. When all was said and done, Mitchell was still the obvious choice at that time. Opinions since then are what they are, but at the time no one rushed into anything or was forced by the players.
    2) Should have lost to Ferris in October? Why? These were the two best teams in the country. They're gonna play close games. It's easy to argue if we had simply run at them in the fourth in December we could/would have won that too. As long as TA is at Ferris they are going to be hard to beat, plain and simple. The 2022 GV team was good enough to do it.
    3) If we hire Wooster, it'll be because he's the best fit. It won't be to appease the players, or anyone. They're opinion is valuable, but ultimately it's not their call.
    4) Brechin...I guess, sounds neat but he's an FBS Coordinator. Not sure if he would want to step back to DII or not. Brady is a solid coach but it doesn't seem like he runs things at SV the way we would want them at GV. Don't even know if Postma has applied...have seen other posts our here that everyone on the staff wants the job. Do we even know that? Easy assumption, but doesn't mean it's accurate.

Agreed we shouldn't rush into anything. If Wooster is the guy, kinda hope a lot of the portal kids change their mind. If he's not, whoever they get will have a tough road but that's true anytime you take over a program. If we have to rebuild for a couple of years so be it. Sure hope our admin gets this right.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied

Generally when players are transferring away from schools like GV or Ferris or Pitt or NW Missouri or Delta or UWF, it's either to get an FBS scholarship (which I'm guessing is what will happen with Tariq Reid), or to get more playing time at a lesser D2 school/NAIA. There's plenty of players at GV who can get a full ride scholarship at an FBS school. Some of them would even get significant playing time.

Tariq's obviously wasn't planned. In late December he tweeted out that he was returning to GV for one more season, so obviously this is coaching-related.

Leave a comment:

• champgymusa
    replied
    AD Becker is doing this as fast as she can but its gonna take a few days to get interviews in. She has talked with the players, met with staff members, and I am sure is getting calls from every so called expert, including alumni. The job is tough...you want it right and you want it fast. I think if kids go into the portal now it is more of an insurance policy maybe than actually wanting to leave. Many think if Wooster is the hire then no one leaves...maybe one or two who would have even if Mitchell was still here. Cant blame a kid but I hope they all stay...this team is LOADED for next year. Maybe if they bring in a new coach and he brings in his staff it all blows up and kids leave. Hell who knows. The kids will know whats up soon and they will make the best decision that they can...hope its right. Take the path of the old bull on the hill...not the young bull.

Leave a comment:

• champgymusa
    replied
    Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
    How many kids have jumped in the portal?
    So far one confirmed, I think Ferris was at 5 last time I looked? And just because they go into the portal it doesnt mean they cant come back out and stay at GVSU. Or Ferris kids same thing.

Leave a comment:

• gvfootball01
    replied
    Originally posted by Redwing View Post
    And so the the exodus begins. Reid gone. I ain't gonna lie. I'm disappointed with GV's leadership with trying to move expeditiously and trying to keep the talent together. And FWIW, I'm not so sure it's best for those leaving as well. But my opinion means little. I wish them the best, but I don't think they're taking the best path at this time.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
    All of them. GV is actually swapping teams with Finlandia because Finlandia has a better squad now.

Leave a comment:

• DawgUp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FSUBulldog27
    replied
    Send Cade up North and he can be the backup QB and holder. Give him a chance to get past the regional round in his last year.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, and maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in - I believe all the assistant coaches and staff operate on yearly contracts. So, technically, I don't know if there's a single coach or football staff member under contract for 2023.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied

Well, that's the issue. Kids are leaving since they apparently aren't seeing Wooster coming back. Right or wrong. And who at GV is trying to keep the team together? One would suspect the assistants are looking for new opportunities so why would a team member even listen to them? I'm not hearing anyone trying to successfully tap down the rush to enter the portal.

I get the need to get a good coach. No question. But again, is there some superstar out there that GV is focused on? Maybe there is, but then use some channels to communicate that to the team. Point is, unfortunately, time is short. In fact, it looks like it's gone with those entering the portal.

So those that want to go with an external hire will likely get their wish. I still think it throws away next season.... one that could have had a great ending. It's happened elsewhere. Why not at GV? (VSU, UWF, even School of Mines in a sense.) Now the horses are out of the barn. Here's hoping that some new colts grow up fast.
    Could be looking at a barely .500 season in 2023 if things keep trending in the direction it seems like they are. But if the aim is to try and be competitive long term as opposed to competing next season, then maybe it doesn't matter. I think if they want to compete for a title in 2023, they have to go internal. Otherwise...

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied

Well, that's the issue. Kids are leaving since they apparently aren't seeing Wooster coming back. Right or wrong. And who at GV is trying to keep the team together? One would suspect the assistants are looking for new opportunities so why would a team member even listen to them? I'm not hearing anyone trying to successfully tap down the rush to enter the portal.

I get the need to get a good coach. No question. But again, is there some superstar out there that GV is focused on? Maybe there is, but then use some channels to communicate that to the team. Point is, unfortunately, time is short. In fact, it looks like it's gone with those entering the portal.

So those that want to go with an external hire will likely get their wish. I still think it throws away next season.... one that could have had a great ending. It's happened elsewhere. Why not at GV? (VSU, UWF, even School of Mines in a sense.) Now the horses are out of the barn. Here's hoping that some new colts grow up fast.
    To be clear…I’m good either way. If Wooster is the guy when stacked up against the competition, then I support the hire. I just think it would be a bad move by Becker to hire based on players threatening to leave. I agree though that they need to have an open dialogue. There’s nothing worse than keeping people in the dark. Not only that…The team should be a part of the selection committee with an elected representative.

Whether the right person is Wooster or external, I just want the best guy for the job. As such, I'm 100% on the fence between the two options.

Leave a comment:

• Redwing
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Like I said earlier, players should be A voice but not the ONLY voice. They honestly shouldn’t be strong-arming the AD into hiring someone they want by threatening to leave the program. If Wooster is the guy after considering all options, then great. If he’s not, I’m sure she brings in someone she feels will serve the program well now and in the future.

Also, I honestly don’t get what purpose leaving serves when you get a new coach either way. It’s not as if they’ll be following Mitchell to Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X