Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

The recognition is going to be regional also. I honestly can't think of a reason why I would've heard of GVSU had I no interest in non FBS college football. I've heard of them for the same reason I've heard of Northwestern out of Iowa: they both have football national championships and have handed Lindenwood a first round playoff loss. Living in STL I've obviously heard of SEMO.

But being a fan of a team that's gone from NAIA to FCS in about 10 years, I can say there's something to the D1 name recognition. Right or wrong, it's like instant credibility. You no longer have to explain what division 2 is.

I think if GVSU decided to go D1, their ultimate goal shouldn't be the MVFC, it should be the MAC. Adding the D1 weight behind an already well established GV brand could see it blow up. But as an LU fan i wouldn't mind having them in the OVC a cup of coffee.
    MAC ain't all its cracked up to be, and some of them would be better off playing FCS if they wasn't getting the ESPN MACTION deal package that pays them to play a lot of mid week games so that ESPN can broadcast the games to stadiums where at lot of the stands are covered with tarps. Looking at Eastern Michigan, who has quite literally, an 800 pound gorilla of a college football program a couple of miles away on Washtenaw avenue.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
      MAC ain't all its cracked up to be, and some of them would be better off playing FCS if they wasn't getting the ESPN MACTION deal package that pays them to play a lot of mid week games so that ESPN can broadcast the games to stadiums where at lot of the stands are covered with tarps. Looking at Eastern Michigan, who has quite literally, an 800 pound gorilla of a college football program a couple of miles away on Washtenaw avenue.
      Yea I personally find every non-Power 5 school to just be doing a total disservice to everyone associated with their school. Because they are neither competing for national championships, nor are they making significant money. Western Michigan just had to cut 6 million in athletics budgeting a couple years ago because they were losing money. Just eat your own bravado, drop down, at LEAST, to FCS football, if not D2 across the board, and at least compete for championships while you're not making any money. Because if you're gonna lose money/break even no matter which level you're at, you should at least try and win national titles while doing it.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
        So do you think GVSU ends up staying D2?

I know a factor for some schools moving to D1 is enrollment. Doesn't seem like GVSU needs that. If they do go D1, where would you like to see them go?
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

So do you think GVSU ends up staying D2?

I know a factor for some schools moving to D1 is enrollment. Doesn't seem like GVSU needs that. If they do go D1, where would you like to see them go?
          If they were going to go D1, I would want them to get into the Big Ten. However, being that UM and MSU already have footholds on the GR market, I don't really see that happening anytime soon. But then again, who would have thought that we would have seen USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington in the Big Ten?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X