Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewell

There is a committee on campus to determine if Jewell will drop to D3 and leave the GLVC. I know the travel budget is very tight, especially with multiple low enrollment cycles.

Re: Jewell

Originally posted by FamilyJewells View Post
    There is a committee on campus to determine if Jewell will drop to D3 and leave the GLVC. I know the travel budget is very tight, especially with multiple low enrollment cycles.
    Man, I bet Holley would be in favor of that. I'm not sure he's had a .500 season in the GLVC since they joined.

Comment

Kinda wonder how legit this is from a guy who created his profile and first post today. Also took well over two hours before anyone responded. Just saying

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
        Kinda wonder how legit this is from a guy who created his profile and first post today. Also took well over two hours before anyone responded. Just saying
        Not sure why I'd make this up? I just know there are options to explore. I believe when Jewell made the jump from d2 from NAIA, their end goal was to go d3 but you cannot make a NAIA -> d3 move. Who knows what the committee will find out? Maybe they will stick where they are. Changes are coming with lower enrollment numbers, though.

Comment

[QUOTE=FamilyJewells;2051263]Not sure why I'd make this up? I just know there are options to explore. I believe when Jewell made the jump from d2 from NAIA, their end goal was to go d3 but you cannot make a NAIA -> d3 move. Who knows what the committee will find out? Maybe they will stick where they are. Changes are coming with lower enrollment numbers,

I understand. You may very well be correct and if so, kudos to you for breaking the news. I will say interesting for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyJewells View Post
            Not sure why I'd make this up? I just know there are options to explore. I believe when Jewell made the jump from d2 from NAIA, their end goal was to go d3 but you cannot make a NAIA -> d3 move. Who knows what the committee will find out? Maybe they will stick where they are. Changes are coming with lower enrollment numbers, though.
            I agree with UFSwimDad in questioning the legitimacy. You can go NAIA to D3. Belhaven just went from NAIA Southern States Athletic Conference to D3 American Southwest Conference in 2015. Johnson & Wales-Denver and SUNY Delhi are beginning the process in 2017-18.

Comment

Who would they play in D3? There aren't many programs in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                Who would they play in D3? There aren't many programs in the area.
                That's what I was thinking. It makes complete sense for them to be a D3 school, but it doesn't seem like they would save on travel when there are so few in the region.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                  I agree with UFSwimDad in questioning the legitimacy. You can go NAIA to D3. Belhaven just went from NAIA Southern States Athletic Conference to D3 American Southwest Conference in 2015. Johnson & Wales-Denver and SUNY Delhi are beginning the process in 2017-18.
                  That was just some talk internally between staff members, we don't know much of what's going on with this overall process. With the old AD getting let go/stepping down, they are exploring all possibilities.

Comment

I was shocked when Jewell moved to D2 and joined the GLVC. Great school, but I just couldn't see them being competitive. IMHO, they should have stayed in the HAAC (NAIA). Members all have a lot in common. I thought at the time the GLVC was biting off too much.I can't imagine going D2, just so they could drop to D3.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                      That's what I was thinking. It makes complete sense for them to be a D3 school, but it doesn't seem like they would save on travel when there are so few in the region.
                      The only D3 football programs in the state of Missouri are Washington U-St. Louis and Westminster. The only viable D3 options for the Kansas City area-based William Jewell would seem to be the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference as, outside of Texas, there are very few D3 schools in, say, Arkansas, to make a move even remotely viable.
                      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                        The only D3 football programs in the state of Missouri are Washington U-St. Louis and Westminster. The only viable D3 options for the Kansas City area-based William Jewell would seem to be the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference as, outside of Texas, there are very few D3 schools in, say, Arkansas, to make a move even remotely viable.
                        Yeah, Arkansas has only 2 D3 schools. U of Ozarks in Clarksville does not have football. Hendrix College in Conway restarted football about 3 years ago.

Comment

As far as U Indy goes, GLVC Football never developed for them. SWBap, McKendree and Truman developing programs but Bellarmine, Lewis and Southern Indiana never joined in. St Joe was their closest trip and in-state fun for the fans game. With St Joe gone, East/West Divisions and reduced travel time seems decades away if ever. Jewell having problems?? Before Jewell goes, congrats to them for being the first conference loss for U Indy (three total?) in five years of GLVC football.

Comment

Update:

Jewell's president sent out an internal email this morning about the future of athletics at Jewell.

Hello, Jewell Community:

In March, I commissioned a Task Force on the Future of Athletics at Jewell, Chaired by Dr. ____, with the charge of identifying ways that Athletics and the College as a whole could align around our shared Mission. This charge required that the Task Force evaluate how Athletics, Academic Affairs, Admissions, Financial Aid, and Students Life can work together to improve student engagement and retention; determine if alignment and culture could be improved by moving to a different NCAA Division; and recognize ways that all of us, as critical thinkers who value our collaborative learning community, could agree upon shared principles for supporting students who later will become our invested alumni.

Followed by many many paragraphs.

Comment

So, did the Task Force suggest any plan for the school and its athletics?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X