Re: Jewell

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Yes, please. :D
    Plus 1

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
      Plus 1
      When does U Indy admin meet? I saw it somewhere in the basketball forums while back. I'd think it would be soon.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
        When does U Indy admin meet? I saw it somewhere in the basketball forums while back. I'd think it would be soon.
        I do not recall a specific date. Only thing I remember was that the AD office was basically doing their due diligence in regards to their conference and any possible move.

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post
          WJU may move down and QU may shut down like St. Joe's ... GLVC keeps changing
          Where did you hear that rumor about Quincy? I must have missed that one...
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            Where did you hear that rumor about Quincy? I must have missed that one...
            I am fairly sure it's because when they axed swimming after just two seasons, the admin mentioned cost needed to be cut. Then I believe there was mention of them being in kinda the same situtation as St Joe though I doubt that.

Comment

My wife worked at Jewell at the time that the previous AD was hired - so we went to the open forum interviews of the final candidates back in like 2009. IMO they did NOT select the best candidate - they selected the candidate that had a connection to Jewell. Which normally makes sense. But at that time, they were just going to be starting the process of transitioning to Division 2. The most qualified candidate (I don't remember his name) had just successfully transitioned his school thru the process. So he was aware of the process, and had done it successfully. But he didn't have a connection to Jewell so he wasn't picked. Rocket Surgeons.
              Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
                I am fairly sure it's because when they axed swimming after just two seasons, the admin mentioned cost needed to be cut. Then I believe there was mention of them being in kinda the same situtation as St Joe though I doubt that.
                Apparently, from what I'm reading, Quincy's financial situation has stabilized a little, so any rumors of that school going the way of SJC have to have died down by now.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                  My wife worked at Jewell at the time that the previous AD was hired - so we went to the open forum interviews of the final candidates back in like 2009. IMO they did NOT select the best candidate - they selected the candidate that had a connection to Jewell. Which normally makes sense. But at that time, they were just going to be starting the process of transitioning to Division 2. The most qualified candidate (I don't remember his name) had just successfully transitioned his school thru the process. So he was aware of the process, and had done it successfully. But he didn't have a connection to Jewell so he wasn't picked. Rocket Surgeons.
                  When Jewell was in the HAAC, they always had the attitude of "our crap don't stink" it seemed to me. They felt it beneath them being a school of high academic standards that they had to play such cretins like Lindenwood, Baker, and Mo Valley.

Their move up, while done at the same time as LU's, seemed to be an attempt to snub the rest of the conference. I think most in the HAAC would agree that it was time for LU to move on.
                  Cool Story Bro

Comment

I worked at a HAAC school when Jewell was a conference member, and that "attitude" you mentioned was seen at times. I was shocked when they moved up, but, not shocked they have struggled and considering going to D-3. That grand experiment just hasn't really worked out. They don't have the resources to compete even with most of the other GLVC schools. As far as Lindenwood, they were also HAAC members when I was in the HAAC. Everyone knew they were aggressive and planning to grow their programs. They have the resources and location to be competitive at D-2. Some folks still think they would like to go D-1 in all sports in the future with FCS football as part of that scenario.

Comment

The first college game I ever went to was at Jewellery in about 1981 or so. They won, and I remember thinking it was a pretty good atmosphere. More than for their games than my 4th or 5th grade team had for ours.

I also remember thinking they weren't that good, and my coach agreeing with me. As an adult, a had a couple of friends who'd played there. They were adamant that if they converted to D2, they could compete better than I'm the Hearth of America Conference, because there was too much competition for talent in KC for those kids, but not for D2 kids, especially D2 kids that wanted a good education instead of a tech education from Directional University. A smart athlete is better than a regular athlete. And, they pointed out, Pittsburg State had made the NAIA to D2 transition... it wasn't as hard as D2 people liked to think.

Me, I wanted Northwest Missouri State to get a crack at them to avenge our 102-0 loss from back in the early days of our program. Only way that'd happen is in post season... and WJ isn't sniffy that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat N Mav View Post
                        The first college game I ever went to was at Jewellery in about 1981 or so. They won, and I remember thinking it was a pretty good atmosphere. More than for their games than my 4th or 5th grade team had for ours.

I also remember thinking they weren't that good, and my coach agreeing with me. As an adult, a had a couple of friends who'd played there. They were adamant that if they converted to D2, they could compete better than I'm the Hearth of America Conference, because there was too much competition for talent in KC for those kids, but not for D2 kids, especially D2 kids that wanted a good education instead of a tech education from Directional University. A smart athlete is better than a regular athlete. And, they pointed out, Pittsburg State had made the NAIA to D2 transition... it wasn't as hard as D2 people liked to think.

Me, I wanted Northwest Missouri State to get a crack at them to avenge our 102-0 loss from back in the early days of our program. Only way that'd happen is in post season... and WJ isn't sniffy that.
                        I don't think NW could score 102 points on air this year. That offense blows

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
                          I don't think NW could score 102 points on air this year. That offense blows
                          Not near as much as you do!

Comment

The NAIA board noted that Jewell has been placed on accreditation probation with the HLC for financial and mangement reasons:

https://www.hlcommission.org/downloa...11-2017%20.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
                              The NAIA board noted that Jewell has been placed on accreditation probation with the HLC for financial and mangement reasons:

https://www.hlcommission.org/downloa...11-2017%20.pdf
                              I saw that too. Do you have any inside info?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                I saw that too. Do you have any inside info?
                                No inside info about Jewell. Talk I hear in Iowa is there could be a number of small, private colleges in financial trouble soon with declining enrollment at schools with tiny endowment figures and low annual giving. That probably effects D3 and NAIA schools more so than your typical D2 school.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X