Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis Football

Is there anyone out there with a little insider track on what is going on down in Indianapolis this year? Obviously Southwest is playing GREAT football, so that loss is one thing, but for UIndy to be 1-4, that's crazy. You would have to think that talent-wise they are probably still the best team in the league, but they are just not getting it done. What are the other thoughts out there?

Re: Indianapolis Football

By no means is this an "insider track", but one thing that stood out to me as I was doing my initial blog research this week (re: UIndy) was just pure execution. They have a 26.2% offensive third-down conversion rate (allowing a GLVC-worst 37.7% in that category), which leads to your defense being on the field more (last in time of possession), but isn't turning into more turnovers forced (just five forced / 12 committed).

Also, I think other teams in the GLVC (Southwest Baptist, Truman) are better this year and UIndy is getting the "Golden State" treatment where they are the circled game on every single schedule. Steph Curry said toward the end of last season that it was difficult getting every team's best shot every single night, which might have led to them breaking down a bit late in the never-ending NBA playoffs. Couple that tough starting stretch of GLVC play with the early non-conference schedule and it just has the feel of a storm pulling everything together at once.

Comment

Simply think teams caught up with them. U Indy admin seems to have got complacent with all the winning they did the last few years: GLIACs like Ashland and Grand Valley, Playoff game against Midwestern St., Delta St. etc. The past. I don't see any big development going into their program recently. You gotta keep playing the facilities proliferation game or you get behind fast. Schools taking care of football first because it brings the fans and campus excitement - and most importantly the recruits to stay at the top. U Indy fans showing up 5-10 thousand a game because of a solid coach that had a winning program. But U Indy admin resting on past laurels. Big mistake. If you don't feed football first, you'll end up with a bunch of good minor sports drawing a few hundred a game. Is that what they want??

Comment

The loss of the Dynamic Duo of Barthel and Horn has hit us hard, IMO. That was a nine year connection that had built amazing chemistry almost to the point of muscle memory. Barthel and Horn knew each other so well that little else mattered. Go from that to a first time starter at QB and some youth at the wideout spot (only two upperclassmen there); that's a big difference. I think this problem solves itself with time, and who knows, maybe it already has. The last drive of the Truman game showed the potential for greatness in those connections. Rebuilding year? Maybe. Demise of the program? Not even close. The Hounds are fine.

Comment

Demise of the program, absolutely not. Never my intended message, In fact even with the losses I would still argue that the hounds are probably the most, pound for pound, talented team in the league. They just seem to have the leadership this year with the loss of some of those players. Let's not fail to mention the big fella in the middle of the defense that graduated too. I just didn't expect this type of drop off, even given their losses, but their is probably a lot of merit to the point that the rest of the league is getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
            By no means is this an "insider track", but one thing that stood out to me as I was doing my initial blog research this week (re: UIndy) was just pure execution. They have a 26.2% offensive third-down conversion rate (allowing a GLVC-worst 37.7% in that category), which leads to your defense being on the field more (last in time of possession), but isn't turning into more turnovers forced (just five forced / 12 committed).

Also, I think other teams in the GLVC (Southwest Baptist, Truman) are better this year and UIndy is getting the "Golden State" treatment where they are the circled game on every single schedule. Steph Curry said toward the end of last season that it was difficult getting every team's best shot every single night, which might have led to them breaking down a bit late in the never-ending NBA playoffs. Couple that tough starting stretch of GLVC play with the early non-conference schedule and it just has the feel of a storm pulling everything together at once.

And SBU's schedule hasn't hurt them for sure. Would have preferred for the Hounds to have had SBU and TSU at home this year. SBU had UIndy, McK, TSU, and S&T all at home. Not saying they're not a good team, just saying that hasn't hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by HoundOfSackervilles View Post
              The loss of the Dynamic Duo of Barthel and Horn has hit us hard, IMO. That was a nine year connection that had built amazing chemistry almost to the point of muscle memory. Barthel and Horn knew each other so well that little else mattered. Go from that to a first time starter at QB and some youth at the wideout spot (only two upperclassmen there); that's a big difference. I think this problem solves itself with time, and who knows, maybe it already has. The last drive of the Truman game showed the potential for greatness in those connections. Rebuilding year? Maybe. Demise of the program? Not even close. The Hounds are fine.
              Agree w/your assessment HOS. We had the same thing in Janis/Jennings when they moved on. Bart will get them back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by saggydad View Post
                Agree w/your assessment HOS. We had the same thing in Janis/Jennings when they moved on. Bart will get them back on track.
                Saggy responded to their down years with the building of the SVSU Fieldhouse.

http://www.svsucardinals.com/facilit...eldhouse/Index

Comment

Despite their 2-4 record, UIndy fans continue to support the program. Check out the attendance figures compared to others in the state of Indiana. UIndy has outdrawn every one of these programs.

UINDY
                  19,339 (2) - 9,669/avg.

INDIANA STATE
                  19,257 (3) - 6,419/avg.

BALL STATE
                  18,151 (2) - 9,075/avg.

BUTLER
                  12,376 (3) - 4,125/avg.

MARIAN
                  10,200 (3) - 3,400/avg.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                    Simply think teams caught up with them. U Indy admin seems to have got complacent with all the winning they did the last few years: GLIACs like Ashland and Grand Valley, Playoff game against Midwestern St., Delta St. etc. The past. I don't see any big development going into their program recently. You gotta keep playing the facilities proliferation game or you get behind fast. Schools taking care of football first because it brings the fans and campus excitement - and most importantly the recruits to stay at the top. U Indy fans showing up 5-10 thousand a game because of a solid coach that had a winning program. But U Indy admin resting on past laurels. Big mistake. If you don't feed football first, you'll end up with a bunch of good minor sports drawing a few hundred a game. Is that what they want??
                    Don't know if they are complacent, but the GLVC football is mad dup of mostly bad programs & UIndy has come down to their level. Recruiting is not great, UIndy football not near GLIAV level in terms of talent. Title IX stops UIndy from feeding football first as you said, I agree big mistake not making football the school's cash cow and treating it above other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by HoundDog View Post
                      Despite their 2-4 record, UIndy fans continue to support the program. Check out the attendance figures compared to others in the state of Indiana. UIndy has outdrawn every one of these programs.

UINDY
                      19,339 (2) - 9,669/avg.

INDIANA STATE
                      19,257 (3) - 6,419/avg.

BALL STATE
                      18,151 (2) - 9,075/avg.

BUTLER
                      12,376 (3) - 4,125/avg.

MARIAN
                      10,200 (3) - 3,400/avg.

If these numbers are legit and not doctored, these are impressive. I was at UIndy's game against Marian earlier this season and might have been 7,000 at most, they listed attendance at 10,000. I think they list all students enrolled as in attendance every game, enrollment at 4,000. Otherwise don't see how there was 10,000 listed as attendance for Marian game.

Comment

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
                        If these numbers are legit and not doctored, these are impressive. I was at UIndy's game against Marian earlier this season and might have been 7,000 at most, they listed attendance at 10,000. I think they list all students enrolled as in attendance every game, enrollment at 4,000. Otherwise don't see how there was 10,000 listed as attendance for Marian game.

Ive been going to UIndy games for 15 or so years....there was a helluva lot more than 7k at that Marian game. I'll believe the numbers based on other college games I've been to at Butler, Franklin, DePauw, Wabash, BSU & ISU. I was at the Hillsdale home game a couple of years ago where they had 9200.....there was a lot more people at the Marian game than there were at that Hillsdale game. UIndy has 5,000 students.....I've been to games where they had 3,000 announced attendance so they aren't counting students. With all that being said.....there are a lot more people attending games than there was 10 years ago. My opinion only.

I believe the current talent level to be more than comparable with their GLIAC days....by that I mean that current teams are probably a .500 level GLIAC team with a couple teams in last 4-5 years being top 1/3 of GLIAC. Before I get raked over the coals from GLIAC posters, I didn't say that today's teams would be competing for a GLIAC championship.

State of UIndy football is as solid and bright as it has been in last 5-7 years in my opinion. It's been a tough year but as someone that's been watching for 15+ years I'm as bullish on the program. staff, players and the school as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by HoundDog View Post
                          Ive been going to UIndy games for 15 or so years....there was a helluva lot more than 7k at that Marian game. I'll believe the numbers based on other college games I've been to at Butler, Franklin, DePauw, Wabash, BSU & ISU. I was at the Hillsdale home game a couple of years ago where they had 9200.....there was a lot more people at the Marian game than there were at that Hillsdale game. UIndy has 5,000 students.....I've been to games where they had 3,000 announced attendance so they aren't counting students. With all that being said.....there are a lot more people attending games than there was 10 years ago. My opinion only.

I believe the current talent level to be more than comparable with their GLIAC days....by that I mean that current teams are probably a .500 level GLIAC team with a couple teams in last 4-5 years being top 1/3 of GLIAC. Before I get raked over the coals from GLIAC posters, I didn't say that today's teams would be competing for a GLIAC championship.

State of UIndy football is as solid and bright as it has been in last 5-7 years in my opinion. It's been a tough year but as someone that's been watching for 15+ years I'm as bullish on the program. staff, players and the school as ever.
                          I don't agree about the Marian game attendance, but I will take your word. There was a group of us there and we all guessed 7,000 as the attendance. Saw the box score the following day and was shocked it said 10,000.

I hear from my GLIAC friends all the time, I think you are wrong about the Hounds being comparable to those teams. GVSU, FSU, Ashland, Wayne State, we don't have the same type of players, never would be in the game with them nowadays. To see UIndy struggle with bad teams in the GLVC and lose to a school like Marian is disheartening. If that is solid and bright as you stated, I do not want to see when it hits rock bottom. I will continue to support the Hounds always. Point is, I think our program has sunk to the level of the GLVC teams instead of elevating itself to the GLIAC level we were at. Just my opinion on the football program.

Comment

Recruiting wise U Indy did great with LBs and WRs this past year. Don't think U Indy got the number of linemen they need though. But as a program they've handled Hillsdale until this year and beat Grand Valley, Ashland and Ferris last time they played them. Don't think there are more than three GLIAC schools that could hang with NAIA Marian. Marian gets the great Indy athletes that don't qualify for NCAA D1/D2 because they don't pass core classes and/or don't have the sat/act score. Plus Marian takes the super stars that have been booted out of D1 programs: Gore, Allen, Beckford, etc.

A few years back I doubted that many fans could be showing up D2 (without being a Grand Valley) since I wasn't at many U Indy home games. Checked with Indianapolis people I know (NCAA offices are in Indy) and found they do a decent job counting. Checked with a Hillsdale guy I know when U Indy had 9,000 plus and he said it was a "great atmosphere" and that they do a good job bringing people to games because it was "very very lively". I was at U Indy v Hillsdale and don't think U Indy had as many at Hillsdale as in years past though.

Always impressed with Grand Valley, Ashland and U Indy fans. I think schools can count the booster club people prepaid tix whether they show or not. But I wouldn't think that's more than a few hundred. My guess is boosters show up at U Indy because last game I attended in Indy I estimated about 1,000 watching from the endzone tents and eating Chick fil a. Reminded me of a Country Fair. And four years ago I counted over a 1,000 at Ashland on the U Indy visitor side with their red/black on.

Comment

From 2006-2010......we were 27-28. From 2011-2016......we were 46-13.

I would bet a decent amount of money that our athletic department saw a corresponding increase in attendance and fan interest. With the exception of GVSU, Hillsdale & Ashland.....none of the other GLIAC teams move the attendance needle. Fans want to see a winner and they don't care what conference it's in. Do I wish we could go 46-13 in the GLIAC, of course. Being a private school in the GLIAC is impossible as far as football is concerned....IMO.

Regardless of what we UIndy fans think of Marian's NAIA status and how they recruit.....they are really freaking good. Whether you believe it or not that game draws a huge amount of local interest from not only each school but the casual fan as well. I wasn't shocked at all at the announced attendance of 10,963. I hope UIndy keeps the game as that's a game that will always move the attendance needle.

We've had a tough year....our fan support has been great....the future is still bright. I happen to think the fact that in 2 home games we've outdrawn both Ball State (2 home games) and Indiana State (3 home games) is pretty cool and reflects the interest in UIndy as a football program and school.

Go Hounds.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X