Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indianapolis Football

Originally posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
    I always thought Indianapolis, Wayne State, St. Joe's, Quincy, Ashland, GVSU, Ferris State, Hillsdale, SVSU, Northwood would have been very good league. Forget the UP schools and Hillsdale.
    Interesting. Hillsdale falls smack-dab in the middle of that footprint you outlined, so not sure why you would "forget" them. Plus, they are far more competitive than a Quincy would be...

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
      Interesting. Hillsdale falls smack-dab in the middle of that footprint you outlined, so not sure why you would "forget" them. Plus, they are far more competitive than a Quincy would be...
      Look at the schools again...Hillsdale between Ferris and SVSU...

Comment

I think it's great when school take academics serious. But there are way too many that just put on an act, it's phony as can be. Marian took some unnecessary cheap shots from the posters earlier, that's why I brought it up. Like I said, I don't care who qualifies or not, I just like to watch the sports like football and basketball. If Joey Blow doesn't have straight A's in biology or whatever, I'm not concerned as long as he's rushing for 100 yards or making 15 tackles.
        UIndy does take academics seriously, and with Coach Bart, it's not just hot air. Obviously you've never played for him or had a kid on his squad, or you would know this. In the 6 years Bart's been there, only 2 players haven't gotten their degree. Does Coach Bart enjoy winning? Hell yeah, you're right, we all do. But he's gonna make sure these guys get degrees in the process.

NCAA rules for D2 academics are also stiffening. Marian "cheap shots" aren't cheap, they are true. The D2 rules are a lot tougher than NAIA academic eligibility, hence, some great athletes fall to NAIA because they just don't have the grades/test scores. I'll post some links if you'd like to fact check that.

Comment

Originally posted by HoundOfSackervilles View Post
          UIndy does take academics seriously, and with Coach Bart, it's not just hot air. Obviously you've never played for him or had a kid on his squad, or you would know this. In the 6 years Bart's been there, only 2 players haven't gotten their degree. Does Coach Bart enjoy winning? Hell yeah, you're right, we all do. But he's gonna make sure these guys get degrees in the process.

NCAA rules for D2 academics are also stiffening. Marian "cheap shots" aren't cheap, they are true. The D2 rules are a lot tougher than NAIA academic eligibility, hence, some great athletes fall to NAIA because they just don't have the grades/test scores. I'll post some links if you'd like to fact check that.
          I graduated from UIndy in 2002, great school, good teachers. But I also partied with football players enough to know many of them had no interest in school, just football and girls. So don't try and tell me I don't know. But I have no problem with it, they were good players and good dudes to hang out with. Degrees are worthless if they GIVE you a degree for showing up or having someone else do your work. And it went on then, and it still goes on everywhere around the NCAA.

Marian has great athletes, who cares if their academic standards are different? No one when you are watching them on the football field. The hypocrites who cry academic integrity are the same ones who cry about wins and losses wherever the school is. I'm a UIndy fan for life, but I could care less about what a player is doing in the classroom. It's none of my business. I want results on the field.

Comment

I graduated from UIndy in 2002, great school, good teachers. But I also partied with football players enough to know many of them had no interest in school, just football and girls. So don't try and tell me I don't know. But I have no problem with it, they were good players and good dudes to hang out with. Degrees are worthless if they GIVE you a degree for showing up or having someone else do your work. And it went on then, and it still goes on everywhere around the NCAA.

Marian has great athletes, who cares if their academic standards are different? No one when you are watching them on the football field. The hypocrites who cry academic integrity are the same ones who cry about wins and losses wherever the school is. I'm a UIndy fan for life, but I could care less about what a player is doing in the classroom. It's none of my business. I want results on the field.
            The NCAA does. The NCAA cares and enforces academic standards and integrity. So does UIndy's current Coach Bartolomeo. So much that he's known to "do things the right way" and he's widely admired for it.

UIndy's Coach "Joe Po" in your era recruited some "characters" and had a few dismissed from the team (and end up at Marian). I knew some of the "characters" families personally. He also had an interesting recruiting strategy where he seemed to offer full scholies to the regulated ceiling and then fill out the team with walk ons. He had great teams in the late 90s doing that. Seems like the same strategy blew up on him later years.
            Last edited by michiganfb; 10-15-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
              The NCAA does. The NCAA cares and enforces academic standards and integrity. So does UIndy's current Coach Bartolomeo. So much that he's known to "do things the right way" and he's widely admired for it.

UIndy's Coach "Joe Po" in your era recruited some "characters" and had a few dismissed from the team (and end up at Marian). I knew some of the "characters" families personally. He also had an interesting recruiting strategy where he seemed to offer full scholies to the regulated ceiling and then fill out the team with walk ons. He had great teams in the late 90s doing that. Seems like the same strategy blew up on him later years.
              Yeah, the NCAA really cares. Just take a look at North Carolina and the way the NCAA looked the other way even though UNC was caught giving away credits with courses that were bogus. The NCAA was so mad at UNC they gave SMU 3 years probation. The NCAA is a corrupt organization, look at its president Emmert and his past at several other schools and the shape he left them in. Try again.

As far as coach Polizzi, he competed against the best in the GLIAC and beat many of them. Yes, some of the guys were suspended or dismissed, but they suspend them and kick players off the team nowadays too in case you have't noticed. They were really good my freshman and sophomore years at UIndy, beat some of the best GLIAC teams. Hiring that women athletic director hurt the UIndy football program, she only cares about softball and women's basketball. Coach Polizzi would have been a great AD for UIndy, would have taken care of the football end of things.

Bartolomeo is an average football coach, no excuse for losing to GLVC teams in football. I repeat who cares about this doing it the right way garbage, teams are getting players in schools who don't have anything but GEDs and bogus junior college credits. I have no problem with that, as long as they can play and win on Saturdays.

Comment

Look at the schools again...Hillsdale between Ferris and SVSU...
                Yeah, but then you followed up with "forget the UP schools and Hillsdale"...guess I was paying more attention to THAT portion of the post...did you mean someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
                  Yeah, but then you followed up with "forget the UP schools and Hillsdale"...guess I was paying more attention to THAT portion of the post...did you mean someone else?
                  Typing error on my part. I had Hillsdale in it.

Comment

I am a 1992 Uindy grad. I am also an ex-high school football coach.

In my opinion, based upon their facilities (they are nice) and their geographic proximity in Indianapolis, Cincinnati and even Louisville, Uindy should own recruiting in the way that U of Miami basically cordoned off South Florida and said that that was their area.

I would like to think that any kid that doesn't go D1 or D1AA in the three areas should be recruited hard by Indy. We are not a St. Joe's or Hillsdale. Being located in the sports capital of the midwest should be a major draw. Uindy should almost recruit itself. We have a better location than ANY school in the GLIAC. Why is Ashland out recruiting us?

Comment

Originally posted by Dappling View Post

In my opinion, based upon their facilities (they are nice) and their geographic proximity in Indianapolis, Cincinnati and even Louisville, Uindy should own recruiting in the way that U of Miami basically cordoned off South Florida and said that that was their area.

I would like to think that any kid that doesn't go D1 or D1AA in the three areas should be recruited hard by Indy. We are not a St. Joe's or Hillsdale. Being located in the sports capital of the midwest should be a major draw. Uindy should almost recruit itself. We have a better location than ANY school in the GLIAC. Why is Ashland out recruiting us?
                      Thanks for posting and welcome to these messageboards! I've been watching the Ashland program for years. Geographically they're smack in the middle of football hotbeds Cleveland/Akron and Columbus. With facilities they've got a fairly new stadium that has probably ten different areas to view the game surrounded by a half dozen different "fan plaza" gathering areas. And being the main draw in a small town can be a plus when a city like Indy offers so many competing events and activities. Big plus for Ashland is a support building that sits on the east endzone to nicely close off and shape the stadium. Enjoyed by fans on game days and eye candy for recruits. Like U Indy they've kept their coach for ten plus years. But mainly it's that they are all in to go all out for football. At Ashland it's obvious they realize homecoming is gonna be at the football game each year, not the lacrosse match etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dappling View Post

Because they don't have to get beaten up every year by those "bullies" from Marian?......................................word

Comment

Ask #2 Grand Valley if they think UIndy has slid... maybe after they clean the blood off their noses and pick up their teeth, they'll answer the question. Just having fun, no hate to Grand Valley, they're a great team and program.

Comment

Originally posted by Regit View Post
                            Ask #2 Grand Valley if they think UIndy has slid... maybe after they clean the blood off their noses and pick up their teeth, they'll answer the question. Just having fun, no hate to Grand Valley, they're a great team and program.
                            And U Indy v Grand Valley could meet up again in the Region 3 playoffs if both programs have a year like they normally do.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                              And U Indy v Grand Valley could meet up again in the Region 3 playoffs if both programs have a year like they normally do.
                              GV will have to beat Ferris State to make the playoffs. 2 Losses and you are most likely out of the playoffs in this region.

Comment

Video highlight of the Grand Valley St game:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X