X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benedictine to GLVC

http://glvcsports.com/news/2018/7/13...join-glvc.aspx

Re: Benedictine to GLVC

My immediate thoughts on this are 1) So the dream of GLVC East/West football divisions is back around. Adding Ben U might influence their close neighbor Lewis U to begin their new football program already. And I'm hearing the St Joe College community is still holding on to the idea they can reopen the campus doors somehow in the future. 2) U Indy not as likely to go GMAC with A) better possibility of GLVC East/West divisions and B) adding a Ben U 3 hour easy drive up to Chicago. 3) Surely helps U Indy recruiting in Chicago with GLVC football in town. 4) Probably hurts NAIA St Xavier recruiting because kids want to play D2 5) I checked and Ben U plays lacrosse so U Indy Prez being the lacrosse fanatic on the GLVC board had something to do with their acceptance.

Comment

They changed their minds...Benedictine will remain/return to D3.

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/201...o-return-to-d3

Comment

Well hello GLVCers
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
          Well hello GLVCers
          Howdy!

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
            They changed their minds...Benedictine will remain/return to D3.

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/201...o-return-to-d3
            Lindenwood wants in ... so does the GLVC take them to get to 16? Or will enough St. Louis schools not want Lindenwood and its money??

Comment

Originally posted by Try II View Post
              Lindenwood wants in ... so does the GLVC take them to get to 16? Or will enough St. Louis schools not want Lindenwood and its money??
              I don't see why UMSL or MU wouldn't want them in. They are already recruiting against each in every sport except football for obvious reasons.

As a Lindenwood football fan, I'm really not a fan of the move. No offense to GLVC football, but national powers don't come out to the GLVC and that's what I'd like to see where LU return one day.

Now... with the additional of LU, an institution that will dedicate the resources needed to compete at a national level, continued strong play of U of I, and perhaps an all in philosophy from say a McKendree or another school... perhaps it could rise the tide of the entire conference by default.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

I don't see why UMSL or MU wouldn't want them in. They are already recruiting against each in every sport except football for obvious reasons.

As a Lindenwood football fan, I'm really not a fan of the move. No offense to GLVC football, but national powers don't come out to the GLVC and that's what I'd like to see where LU return one day.

Now... with the additional of LU, an institution that will dedicate the resources needed to compete at a national level, continued strong play of U of I, and perhaps an all in philosophy from say a McKendree or another school... perhaps it could rise the tide of the entire conference by default.
                I totally understand, and I felt the exact same when Truman left for the GLVC. I played there years ago and thought I would never get over my alma mater not competing at the highest level of D2.

Then I realized, this isn't Div. I, where there are bowl games for practically everyone with a pulse and Donald Duck piles of money for conferences based on how those top teams in the league performed. It's all about making the playoffs. And, while people want to tout the MIAA as the SEC of Div. II, that's comparing apples to pennies. They aren't in the same ball park because two losses in Div. II is can signal a death sentence in terms of making the playoffs. To make the playoffs, under the current setup of selection criteria, you need to pretty much navigate the season with 0 or 1 loss. When Truman almost made the playoffs two years ago, it's because they scheduled perfectly -- put together a non-conference schedule that challenged them with the likes of Grand Valley and Midwestern State, and then nearly ran the table in the GLVC.

So, while playing Northwest, Central, Washburn, Hays, etc of the world makes you feel like you're playing at the top level, there's practically zero chance for all but about 5 teams in the MIAA to make the playoffs on a yearly basis. Especially with their current setup with only league games.

Love it or hate it, but that's the way Div. II rolls. So until that changes, if the goal is to make the playoffs and have a shot at winning a title, might as well find the best path to do it.
                Last edited by TSU_Mike59; 09-25-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

So hypothetically say LU joins. That means each team in the GLVC would be looking at trying to fill 3 non conference games a year right? Each team from the MIAA would be looking to fill one too if that's the case. Maybe even more if NSU can figure out out to buy out of the league like most are suggesting they're trying to do.
                  Cool Story Bro

Comment

So hypothetically say LU joins. That means each team in the GLVC would be looking at trying to fill 3 non conference games a year right? Each team from the MIAA would be looking to fill one too if that's the case. Maybe even more if NSU can figure out out to buy out of the league like most are suggesting they're trying to do.
                    I think GLVC teams would be looking at 3 or 4 nonconference games, depending if the MIAA and GLVC continue their scheduling alliance that permits Lincoln to play in the GLVC instead of the MIAA for football. I'd guess if the MIAA found themselves needing one nonconference game last minute as a result of Lindenwood leaving for the GLVC, then I would also guess that the scheduling alliance would go away and Lincoln would be going back to the MIAA to fill out the full schedule (LU for LWU swap).

Without Lincoln:
                    Indianapolis, Lindenwood, McKendree, Missouri S&T, Quincy, Southwest Baptist, Truman State, William Jewell

Comment

Enjoyed your earlier comments, TSU_Mike59. I'm an old guy, who coached some HS football in NE Missouri in years past. My wife and I both went to grad school at -then NE Missouri. It made me sick when Truman left the MIAA, but after awhile I have accepted the fact. In retrospect, it has been a necessary move for a variety of reasons. I still follow Truman, but, could care less about the GLVC in general. I still follow the MIAA, and will always be a MIAA person. I know the GLVC is strong in BB, but, again not an interest of mine. Maybe if the GLVC became a stronger football league that my perk my interest, but, I just have no affinity with any of the GLVC schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogface View Post
                        Enjoyed your earlier comments, TSU_Mike59. I'm an old guy, who coached some HS football in NE Missouri in years past. My wife and I both went to grad school at -then NE Missouri. It made me sick when Truman left the MIAA, but after awhile I have accepted the fact. In retrospect, it has been a necessary move for a variety of reasons. I still follow Truman, but, could care less about the GLVC in general. I still follow the MIAA, and will always be a MIAA person. I know the GLVC is strong in BB, but, again not an interest of mine. Maybe if the GLVC became a stronger football league that my perk my interest, but, I just have no affinity with any of the GLVC schools.
                        I think if LU does join, that could help raise the football bar. They have the resources and drive to succeed in football. Their improvements over the past couple of years has them on the rise in the conference. They could realistically be looking at a 6 win season this year. They took top 10 Pitt State to OT. Came the closest of any team in the MIAA to beating the eventual conference champs FHSU last year.

They also have one of the most promising young freshman QBs in the conference in Cade Brister. If he could play his next 3 years against GLVC teams rather than MIAA, he could put up some huge numbers. (He already ranks as a top 3 QB in the MIAA right now).

What is the GLVC's recent results in the playoffs? I know SBU got smoked out of the gates when they won it a few years back. How does Indy generally fair?
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

I think if LU does join, that could help raise the football bar. They have the resources and drive to succeed in football. Their improvements over the past couple of years has them on the rise in the conference. They could realistically be looking at a 6 win season this year. They took top 10 Pitt State to OT. Came the closest of any team in the MIAA to beating the eventual conference champs FHSU last year.

They also have one of the most promising young freshman QBs in the conference in Cade Brister. If he could play his next 3 years against GLVC teams rather than MIAA, he could put up some huge numbers. (He already ranks as a top 3 QB in the MIAA right now).

What is the GLVC's recent results in the playoffs? I know SBU got smoked out of the gates when they won it a few years back. How does Indy generally fair?
                          U Indy played Harding much better than Ferris State and Ashland last year. Had a first down inside the 3 with a minute left to go. QB fumbled the snap on 3rd down and fumbled on the field goal attempt to get beat by 3 points. This after their QB had only one turnover all year. Storms and game delayed a couple of hours but still hard for them to take that loss. Beat Midwestern State when the current coach started his tenure a few years back. Lost to Pueblo twice.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
                            U Indy played Harding much better than Ferris State and Ashland last year. Had a first down inside the 3 with a minute left to go. QB fumbled the snap on 3rd down and fumbled on the field goal attempt to get beat by 3 points. This after their QB had only one turnover all year. Storms and game delayed a couple of hours but still hard for them to take that loss. Beat Midwestern State when the current coach started his tenure a few years back. Lost to Pueblo twice.
                            Any other GLVC schools with playoff experience.

I know a little about SBU, MoS&T, and Truman because they're former MIAA teams. Know about William Jewell from their days in the HAAC with Lindenwood at the NAIA level. Not much history with Quincy or McKendree (despite being just about an hour away).
                            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Any other GLVC schools with playoff experience.

I know a little about SBU, MoS&T, and Truman because they're former MIAA teams. Know about William Jewell from their days in the HAAC with Lindenwood at the NAIA level. Not much history with Quincy or McKendree (despite being just about an hour away).
                              Since Truman's joined, it's been pretty much Indy's league, with them making the playoffs most years. There was a season a couple years back in which Truman/SBU made deep regular season runs, but you referenced that SBU playoff year. The region certainly doesn't help, as you're always staring the likes of GV, Ferris, Ashland, the MIAA powers that be, and then strong GAC programs like OBU, SAU and Harding.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X