Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you feel Lindenwood will compete at next year?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you feel Lindenwood will compete at next year?

Will they enter the conference immediately challenging Indy for the conference crown, or are they more likely to be fighting with MoST, Truman, and possibly SBU for that 2nd tier?
    Cool Story Bro

Re: Where do you feel Lindenwood will compete at next year?

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
    Will they enter the conference immediately challenging Indy for the conference crown, or are they more likely to be fighting with MoST, Truman, and possibly SBU for that 2nd tier?
    I think it will be similar to when Truman entered the league -- challenging for the conference title right away but will have to prove that they can unseat UIndy. I'd probably put the overall league in these categories (since Truman joined):

Indianapolis
    ---
    Truman, Missouri S&T
    ---
    McKendree, Southwest Baptist
    ---
    Quincy, William Jewell
    ---
    Lincoln

Each of those teams, on a consistent basis, has the chance to move up or down one rung on the ladder. Maybe there's a one year outlier, but for the most part, that's about where these programs have sat. I'd put Lindenwood in with that Truman/S&T grouping for the first couple of years, just to see how they stack up.

Comment

I would agree with this assessment. I think they will be one of the top 3 to 4 teams in conference on a year in and year out basis. How were they competing in the MIAA ?

Comment

They should be competing for the top spot within the first two to three years. It takes a little while to get used to stadiums, teams, coaching styles.

Comment

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
          I would agree with this assessment. I think they will be one of the top 3 to 4 teams in conference on a year in and year out basis. How were they competing in the MIAA ?
          3-4 wins, but they generally compete with everyone not named NWMSU. NW, UCM, and MW are the only teams they've yet to beat. They led UCM in the 4th quarter of last year. They've played MW close several times.

They've beaten Pitt State 2x in the jungle, beaten Hays in Hays, beat ESU for the 1st time this past year, and have gone back and forth with Washburn in always competitive games. They generally take care of the cellar dwellers of MoSo and NSU too. Jed Stugart also has them on the rise, netting a couple of recruiting classes that have some other top MIAA envious.
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

If they are competing that well in the MIAA then they will challenge immediately. I think UIndy is a good, solid team but honestly I think S&T is just as good. I have not seen McKendree or Truman but judging from scores and what people have told me I think they are a little below the top two this year. I would put Lindenwood right there with the top two(UIndy and S&T). Of course I know I am biased toward S&T because my son plays for them but I am speaking from a totally blank slate. This is my first year to follow the GLV conference so past performance of all the teams does not factor in for me.

Comment

If they are competing that well in the MIAA then they will challenge immediately. I think UIndy is a good, solid team but honestly I think S&T is just as good. I have not seen McKendree or Truman but judging from scores and what people have told me I think they are a little below the top two this year. I would put Lindenwood right there with the top two(UIndy and S&T). Of course I know I am biased toward S&T because my son plays for them but I am speaking from a totally blank slate. This is my first year to follow the GLV conference so past performance of all the teams does not factor in for me.
              From 2013-2017, here were the cumulative league records:
              1. UIndy: 34-4
              T2. Truman, McKendree: 25-13
              4. Missouri S&T: 22-16
              5. Southwest Baptist: 15-16 (did not start GLVC play until 2014)
              6. William Jewell: 14-24
              7. Quincy: 12-26
              8. Lincoln: 1-30 (did not start GLVC play until 2014)

In that timeframe (not counting St. Joseph's who is now closed):
              1. UIndy: 4 1st-place finishes, 1 4th-place finish
              2. McKendree: 3 2nd-place, 1 3rd-place, 1 4th-place
              3. Truman: 1 1st-place finish, 2 2nd-place, 2 4th-place
              4. Missouri S&T: 2 2nd-place, 1 3rd-place, 1 5th-place, 1 6th-place
              5. Southwest Baptist: 1 1st-place finish, 1 4th-place, 1 6th-place, 1 7th-place

So there's clearly a gap between UIndy and everyone else, and I'd also say there's a gap (albeit much smaller) between Truman/McKendree and Missouri S&T just on consistency over a 5-year period. But there's definitely a sizeable gap between S&T and SBU.

Indianapolis
              ---
              2a. McKendree, Truman
              2b. Missouri S&T
              ---
              Southwest Baptist
              ---
              Quincy, William Jewell
              ---
              ---
              ---
              Lincoln
              Last edited by TSU_Mike59; 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

This is good stuff for me as a new follower of GLV football. I can't really speak on the past to be honest. In fact all I really know is starting this year. It is good to have some response on the board as the GLV forum has been very quite since I have started following the S&T Miners (and GLV conference all together).

Comment

With the GLVC and MIAA trading LUs next year, the GLVC becomes a lot better.

Comment

This is good stuff for me as a new follower of GLV football. I can't really speak on the past to be honest. In fact all I really know is starting this year. It is good to have some response on the board as the GLV forum has been very quite since I have started following the S&T Miners (and GLV conference all together).
                    Glad to have you around! As BigSig has also recently found out, the chatter typically resides in the basketball section for the GLVC because of programs like Bellarmine, Drury, Southern Indiana and Lewis not having football.

Comment

St. Charles, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                        St. Charles, MO
                        Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
                          Awesome
                          Yeah it is.... lol.
                          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

Indianapolis
                            ---
                            2a. McKendree, Truman
                            2b. Missouri S&T
                            ---
                            Southwest Baptist
                            ---
                            Quincy, William Jewell
                            ---
                            ---
                            ---
                            Lincoln

I don't believe that LU has ever played U of Indy. If they did, it would've been way early in their first years as a program in the early 90's but I'm fairly certain they didn't.

Also, as far as I know, they've never played McKendree in a varsity matchup despite their proximity. Back in their NAIA days, JV teams were allowed and I know they matched up a couple of times there. In fact, one of those matchups was the only time I've ever been to McKendree.

I think they only crossed paths with Truman once in the MIAA, and Lindenwood won that one 38-13.

The Lions are 1-1 vs. MoS&T. They played once during LU's independent years, and once in the MIAA. The year the miners beat LU was the same year LU knocked of D1 Norther Colorado.

I believe the Lions are undefeated vs. SBU, with their last contest happening in 2013, a 35-27 win for LU.

I don't think that LU has ever played Quincy either. While both resided in the MSFA at one point (along with McKendree) it wasn't at the same time.

LU has a fairly robust history with Billy J. From 2004 until both left the HAAC to go their separate D2 ways, the Lions boast a 2-5 record vs. the Cardinals, winning the last 5 meetings. It's a mixed bag regarding the competitiveness of the contests. Outside of a 73-6 thrashing by the Lions in 2009, the score from the other 4 LU wins is 25-11. Side note... back in the old VSN message board days, the Lions posters developed a pretty good little rivalry with the Billy J posters. I don't see that any of them are around any more. Probably like many of my fellow LU fan posters, the taste of humble pie with the move to D2 was none too pleasant.

Considering that the current roster and recruits lined up and the culture within the program, I think Lindenwood football is in the best spot that it's been in for awhile. If we had stayed in the MIAA, I think they'd be competing for a title in 2 years. The move to the GLVC will accelerate that conference championship timeline a bit.
                            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                              U Indy graduating 5 starters on the D and on the O graduating their best OL (Lacy) WR (Malik) and their QB Purichia. Could be another "off" year for them when Lindenwood enters. I could see Truman or Southwest Bap putting something together again too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X