X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influence Power Rating

Directly from my weekly blog

Nerd Alert!

As I said at the beginning of the year, I’m a bit of a stat nerd and I enjoy trying to create meaningful metrics to tell a deeper story of what we’re seeing play out on the field. With that being said… this part might not be for everyone. I went a little overboard with the nerd on this one.

This rating is one I’ve been working on for the past couple of weeks. So much of the analysis part of football is simply sitting down and watching the games. For those of use that have been around the game for a long time (25 years for me), we can get a feel for what teams are like and how they can impose their will on other teams. But I’ve never been a big fan of how traditional stats capture that activity and tell the story. The stats below basically sum up how each team performs against other teams in relation to their average performance. I’ve decided to all it the Influence Power Rating for right now. I’m trying to capture how effective a team is at influencing their will on the outcome of the game.

A score of 0.0% would indicate that a team allows other teams to perform to their season average. They don’t gain more or less yards than the other team usually allows, and they don’t hold them to more or less than they usually gain. They don’t score more or less points than the other team usually allows, and they don’t hold them to more or less points than they usually score. The higher the IPR is over 0.0%, the better that team is at influencing games towards their favor relative to their competition. Negative IRP ratings indicate that a team’s opponents generally perform better than they’re season average.

I’m sure there’s 100 holes that I’ll eventually punch in this metric, but for now I thought I’d share to give GLVC fans another way of looking at how the conference is shaking out. If anyone is interested in looking at the breakdown for all the games and teams, let me know I’d be happy to share. You’re responsible for your own ibuprofen when/if the spreadsheet gives you a headache though!

School IPR
    1 Indianapolis 36.93%
    2 Lindenwood 21.76%
    3 Truman 21.19%
    4 Missouri S&T 11.38%
    5 McKendree -4.39%
    6 Quincy -12.86%
    7 William Jewell -17.24%
    8 Southwest Baptist -27.91%

Did you do an o and d breakdown?

Comment

BTW, this is awesome.

Comment

I do. Il share more next week! Out of town right now.

Comment

Updated Rankings.
          School IPR
          1 Uindy 38.02%
          2 Lindenwood 20.09%
          3 Truman 18.85%
          4 Missouri S&T 4.94%
          5 McKendree -2.30%
          6 Quincy -18.18%
          7 William Jewell -18.80%
          8 Southwest Baptist -28.94%

Also... here's the offensive and defensive breakout.
          School Offensive IPR
          Uindy 44.17%
          LU 31.15%
          Truman 24.82%
          McK 8.18%
          MoST 4.95%
          Quincy -0.93%
          WJC -19.20%
          SBU -32.82%

School Defensive IPR
          Uindy 31.87%
          Truman 12.88%
          LU 9.04%
          MoST 4.93%
          McK -12.77%
          WJC -18.40%
          SBU -25.06%
          Quincy -35.42%
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Bryon......how do you measure? Is it up to the date of the game or is it cumulative throughout the entire season?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              Bryon......how do you measure? Is it up to the date of the game or is it cumulative throughout the entire season?
              It's up through the most recent games.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X