Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood Offseason

Here we go!!!

Early signing period has passed.... official visits coming up.... NSD just over a month away!

August is a long way away. Thankfully here in STL we have a potentially exciting baseball season to look forward to! But for the CFB fix, we'll have to do with mindless message board banter. :)

Lindenwood offseason

Record 4-7
    10th place (MIAA)

TEAM STATS

Scoring offense 29 ppg (7th)
    Scoring defense 30 ppg (10th)

Total Offense 390 ypg (9th)
    Rushing offense 161 ypg (7th)
    Passing offense 229 ypg (6th)

Total Defense 385 ypg (8th)
    Rushing defense 180 ypg (9th)
    Passing defense 205 (6th)

INDIVIDUAL STATS

Passing Leader
    Cade Brister (FR) - 57% completion, 2433 yards, 21 TD, 8 INT

Rushing LeadersReceiving LeadersTackles
    Darrius Williams (JR) 108
    Grady Daniels (SO) 103
    Drew Seers (SO) 96

TFL
    Drew Seers (SO) 12.5
    Jonathan Harris (SR) 11.5
    Uchenna Egwuonwu (JR) 8

Sacks
    Jonathan Harris (SR) 6
    Uchenna Egwuonwu (JR) 3.5
    Arsante Conners (SO) 2

Interceptions
    Grady Daniels (SO) 2
    Drew Seers (SO) 2
    Ricky McCoy (JR) 2

Key Personnel Losses
    Cameron Sanders- RB
    Najee Jackson- WR
    Tyler Hogan- WR
    Mason Bendigo- TE
    Lucas Beddow- OL*
    Evan Pumphrey- OL
    Jon Harris- DL*
    CJ Bivens- LB

*-All Conference Selection

Looking Ahead

8 offensive returners
    7 defensive returners

71% of Rushing yard production returning
    66% of Receiving yard production returning

Key Returners
    Cade Brister- QB
    Nash Sutherlin- RB
    Erik Henneman- TE*
    Brendan Sullivan- OL
    Caleb Sellers- OL
    Uchenna Egwuonwu- DL*
    Arsante Conners- DL
    Drew Seers- LB*
    Darrius Williams- S*
    Grady Daniels- S

*-All Conference Selection

Early Signings

Andrew Rodriguez- LB
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3236264...47900a58c11041

Connor Mazzotta- OL
    https://wwe.hudl.com/profile/11260893/Connor-Mazzotta

Anthony Holmes- LB
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9294357...62060eb0c2ba91

Dwight Dantzler- DL
    https://twitter.com/dantzler_jr

Justin Gonzalez- OL
    http://www.hudl.com/profile/9966224/Justin-Gonzalez
    Last edited by bigsig50; 12-24-2018, 08:42 AM.
    Cool Story Bro

Re: Lindenwood Offseason

Quick thoughts on LU as we head into the offseason.

Last year in the MIAA was one that many LU fans hoped the Lions would turn the corner, especially seeing the improvements in Head Coach Jed Stugart's 1st year. While some improvements continued, the wins remained flat. The truth is, the league is a meat grinder and even the best teams in the conference will be in a battle week in and week out.

The Lions come into the GLVC with one of the more productive QB's from the MIAA last year in Cade Brister. The main questions for LU will remain up front on both sides of the ball. While they improved dramatically over the past 2 years, inconsistency and depth were an issue at times in 2018. Will moving to the GLVC accelerate the development of the Lion trenches? Conventional thinking suggests it will as most think the GLVC as one of the weaker D2 football conferences. However, I think an argument is developing that they are at least a top heavy league with both Indy and MoST finding post season success. If LU has aspirations of a playoff run, they'll still have to deal with an Indy team that took care of an FHSU team that's owned LU for the past several season. They'll also have to contend with the MWB champion Miners.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Sig; sorry that your team moved to a non-football league. I tried to spark some Truman State- Morningside talk last year and again a bit this fall, but no response.

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
        Sig; sorry that your team moved to a non-football league. I tried to spark some Truman State- Morningside talk last year and again a bit this fall, but no response.
        Meh... I don't mind hearing myself talk. I'll consider it my own personal echo chamber if no one shows up, lol!
        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Scouring the twittbook.....

Looks like there's a couple of official visits coming up for some really talented linemen that could make a huge impact in the near future!

Jacob Swihart- OL
          Parkway West, 6'4", 295 lbs
          3rd team all state, class 5 Missouri
          http://www.hudl.com/profile/6309990/Jacob-Swihart

Jarett Payne- OL
          Owensvill, 6'4", 289 lbs
          1st team all state, class 3 Missouri
          http://www.hudl.com/profile/5590395/Jarett-Payne
          Cool Story Bro

Comment

Not much going on.... let's break down LU's early signing class (since I've done it already with some of the other teams.)

First off....

Andrew Rodriguez

Chaffey college defensive MVP. Ended season with 73 total tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FF, and 1 defensive TD.

Listed at 6'1", 225lbs.

This guy's highlight real is fun to watch as an LU fan...

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3236264...47900a58c11041

He's a sideline to sideline player, with acceleration and speed to cover and chase down backs out of the backfield. It looks like he reads offenses pretty well and is able to work through the muck to find the ball carrier. He's not a devastating tackler, but violent and mauling enough to strip the ball loose on with sloppy ball carriers. His burst upon play recognition is scary; his angle of attack seems to meet ball carriers behind or at the LOS. It will be fun watching him get after the QB on stunts with that speed.

Very good pick up by the Lions. I'd look for him to get plugged into CJ Biven's spot right long side Drew Seers. The 2 of them will make for one of the better LB duo's in the league.
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Connor Mazzotta- OL, Mt. San Jacinto college

6'0" 260lbs

I gotta be honest, when I saw this kid's size I was a little surprised. This hasn't been the typical sized linemen that LU has brought on for many years. But watching his highlights, it makes more sense...

https://wwe.hudl.com/profile/11260893/Connor-Mazzotta

This kid has a skill set and ability that would see him with an FBS school if he were about 4 inches taller. He plays a majority of his snaps at center, which doesn't put a premium on height anyway. What I saw from his highlights was a player that understands angles, leverage, and the importance of positioning. His first steps always seemed to be perfect, his feet and hips always worked in unison to keep his opponent under control. He has enough upper body strength to disrupt defensive linemen's pass rush moves and establish hand position. He is a high motor OL that gets to the 2nd level with efficiency and is effective at engaging and finishing blocks at that level. He also finishes his blocks well. Because of his size, I never really saw any truly "devastating" type down or drive blocks where he absolutely overwhelmed an opponent. Rather I saw great angles and technique that allowed him to effectively eliminate his defender from the play without have to crush them. Great pass protection; smart in protection. Effective run blocker.

I do worry about him having to match up with guys that might simply be to big to deal with, but scheming can make up for some of that with an interior line position, especially if he has decent size playing on either side of him.

On a personal note... as a player that was listed at 6'0" 250 lbs coming out of HS and signing with Lindenwood back in 1998 (I was actually 5'10" by the way, lol)... This kids playing style reminds me a lot of how I played. I was never overwhelming in my blocking style, but I was quick, near perfect technique, smart, and relentless. This kid is stronger up top than I was and plays a bit bigger, so I think he'll be fine.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Anthony Holmes- LB, Conta Costra College.

6'1", 230lbs.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9294357...62060eb0c2ba91

Another quality LB signing. This guy plays a bit bigger than Rodriguez, though doesn't seem to cover as much ground. From his highlights, it looks like Holmes reads and reacts to plays very quickly and finishes violently, punishing the ball carrier. He fills the running lanes quickly and does it with authority. While not as speedy as Rodriguez, but it looks like he has more than enough quickness to cover his assignments and make a play on the ball when needed. Does a good job of finding the ball carrier in traffic.

The LU base defense has only played with 2 LB's over the past few years, playing a 4-2-5. I could see that changing this year which would give the opportunity to put more of our talented LB corps on the field. The MIAA is much more of a passing league than the GLVC is. The GLVC only had 2 teams that averaged over 200 yards a game through the air (Mck and MoST) and both of them graduate their senior QBs. The 3rd team on the list barely passed for over 180 a game. The MIAA had 7 teams that averaged more than 200 yards through the air per game. I could see us moving to a more traditional 4-3, in which case, Holmes would make an ideal MLB.
                Cool Story Bro

Comment

Dwight Dantzler- DL, 6'4", 320lbs

Chaffey

Teammate of Andrew Rodriguez. LU is fortunate enough to get the defensive duo as a pair! This guys highlights pump me up!!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3886459...dd94033cf6726b

He has the size to play that clogging disruptive style needed against the run heavy teams of the GLVC, but also has the athleticism to make the big splash plays that can change games. From his highlights, it looks like he can overwhelm and opposing OL pretty much anytime he wants with his size, quickness, or hands.

Speaking frankly however, his size makes me wonder about stamina. Having played against Goliaths like this myself, I know that if they are out there too long playing with that type of high motor, they tend to have to take plays off. He should be a great fill in for the void of Johnathan Harris, but we have to have depth if we're going to take advantage of all Dantzler has to offer.
                  Cool Story Bro

Comment

Justin Gonzalez- OL, 6'3", 300lbs

Cerritos collge

http://www.hudl.com/profile/9966224/Justin-Gonzalez

Good size and very versatile OL. Looks like he can play anywhere along the line which is always nice to have. Very good pass protector at both OG and OT. Very good lateral movement and ability to get to 2nd level. Should add some nice depth and may compete for starting spot with departure of Beddow and Pumphrey.
                    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Jed and staff look to be loading up some big men. How soon do we start calling the Lions 'the Mizzouri Coo'?

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                        Jed and staff look to be loading up some big men. How soon do we start calling the Lions 'the Mizzouri Coo'?
                        Lol.... easy their Barry.

Could call USF the Sious Fall Pioneers in that case, lol!
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                          Scouring the twittbook.....

Looks like there's a couple of official visits coming up for some really talented linemen that could make a huge impact in the near future!

Jacob Swihart- OL
                          Parkway West, 6'4", 295 lbs
                          3rd team all state, class 5 Missouri
                          http://www.hudl.com/profile/6309990/Jacob-Swihart

Jarett Payne- OL
                          Owensvill, 6'4", 289 lbs
                          1st team all state, class 3 Missouri
                          http://www.hudl.com/profile/5590395/Jarett-Payne
                          According to twitter, Mr. Payne has already committed!

Great frame and decent size already. I was only able to look at his Junior season highlights where he earned 2nd team all state. He earned a 1st team nod this year, so assuming that he's even more polished now.

He is very explosive off the ball, firing off with a ferocity that will overwhelm most defenders on the unfortunate end of his cross hairs. He moves very well laterally; several instances of him being able to compromise the defenses contain efforts with his quickness and physicality at point of attack. Plays with a great lean and accelerates into it very smoothly. Some things I saw that could be improved in his junior film are crispness, consistency, and efficiency of his footwork. At times it looked great, but other times it seemed there was some wasted movement. It obviously didn't hurt him in the highlights, but probably due to his athleticism. Unsure about hips and feet when engaged as well.... not saying they aren't good, but he tended to simply overwhelm defenders; he rarely had to truly fight to move them off LOS or gain positioning.

Coming in as a true freshman, this is an excellent get for the Lions and could become a stalwart for years to come!
                          Cool Story Bro

Comment

I missed this guy somehow on the initial batch of signings.... my bad.

Anthony Franks- DT/DE, 6'2" 280lbs.

Contra Costra college

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2764079...99430cd036ba7e

Super versatile player. Watched him play DT, DE, and even stand up 3-4 type OLB in his highlights. Explosive off the ball, seemed to always get first step advantage. Nose for the football, seeks and destroys in traffic very well. Very good pursuit speed, especially for his size at 280lbs. Has the size and strength to overcome OL that get leverage advantage on him. Has the speed to edge rush, and an assortment of moves. Looks to play smart in his assignments... although this isn't game film, so that really remains to be seen. His playing style really reminds me of current Lindenwood DE UCHENNA EGWUONWU.... although Franks is a bit bigger and could play more interior. His motor and athletic playing style are very similar though.

This will be a great plug and play get for the Lions that should make an immediate impact!
                            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Looks like LU also picked up a transfer DB from NAIA Tabor Collge.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/zach...FA/default.htm

Zach Roth. Tabor doesn't have their stats updated so hard to see if he played much. There are a few special team highlights on his twitter. His HS highlights show your typical "do it all" type of athlete. At 6'2", 200 lbs, he has the size to come in and contribute immediately. Should add good depth for the Lions secondary that is very young and talented.
                              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X