Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pitt at Emporia Game Day thread

My quick thoughts on a Friday afternoon:
    Depth at WR has been the biggest problem for ESU's offense. In the past there was one or two youngsters that would compliment the top WR. That doesn't seem to be the case this year so teams are able to double cover on Justin Brown more.

Landon Nault is a really good running back. His main drawback is a lack of break away speed. He busted wide open on his 53 yarder but got run down by the defender.

One of the positives I saw was believe it or not on the 77 yard pass by Pitt State. During the lost season of 2014 I could tell we were in for some problems in the second game when ESU just gave up on two long plays against UCO. On the 77 yarder I was worried for a second that they were going to just concede the TD but then Davenport just kept after it. In fact for a while I was thinking he might strip the ball and that Hornets could be back in business...but they weren't.

This is the third straight year ESU has been 1-1 after two games and they have responded with winning seasons both time. I can't believe I'm saying this but next week is a huge game in Kearney for the Hornets.

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
        My quick thoughts on a Friday afternoon:
        Depth at WR has been the biggest problem for ESU's offense. In the past there was one or two youngsters that would compliment the top WR. That doesn't seem to be the case this year so teams are able to double cover on Justin Brown more.

Landon Nault is a really good running back. His main drawback is a lack of break away speed. He busted wide open on his 53 yarder but got run down by the defender.

One of the positives I saw was believe it or not on the 77 yard pass by Pitt State. During the lost season of 2014 I could tell we were in for some problems in the second game when ESU just gave up on two long plays against UCO. On the 77 yarder I was worried for a second that they were going to just concede the TD but then Davenport just kept after it. In fact for a while I was thinking he might strip the ball and that Hornets could be back in business...but they weren't.

This is the third straight year ESU has been 1-1 after two games and they have responded with winning seasons both time. I can't believe I'm saying this but next week is a huge game in Kearney for the Hornets.
        ESU dropped a ton of catchable balls. Pitt got after them pretty well, but it would have been a closer game with a little stick-um.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          Early in games, they had the talent, though only 1 deep, to move the ball on both teams I have seen them play. They were also able to give teams a little trouble on D early in games.

Makes me think they actually have the players in places to play at this level. I haven't thought that about them is some of the past years.
          I guess we will just have to disagree here. It is very hard to tell, however, because the execution (or lack thereof) and poor decisions made seem to be more noticeable. And I really like a lot of those kids...

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
            I guess we will just have to disagree here. It is very hard to tell, however, because the execution (or lack thereof) and poor decisions made seem to be more noticeable. And I really like a lot of those kids...
            Yeah I could be wrong. That's just how it looks to me. I agree about the execution and decisions , for sure.

Comment

Back to Saturday football. The long 9-day wait for Tahlequah. Sigh.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X